Tranny temps?

This is the new normal. My understanding is that Ford figured out that efficiency and fuel mileage were actually improved by allowing warmer temperatures. Looks like anything under 230 is considered "ok".

I got mine up to 225 once towing 8k (enclosed trailer) up a 2 mile 5%-6% grade at 70mph, but it was down to 212 before i got to the top of the grade. Temps fluctuated between 208-221 towing and didn't seem to matter if it was uphill or downhill.

This is the new normal. My understanding is that Ford figured out that efficiency and fuel mileage were actually improved by allowing warmer temperatures. Looks like anything under 230 is considered "ok".
Yes i totally agree!! (y)

Mine runs 210 to 220 on highway takes like 30 minutes of highway driving to get to that temp

mine hit 235 towing heavy in 95 deg temps on the highway. ...and its not hot here yet and i have some 7 to 9 percent grades....gonna be interesting. ..

my ram with the aisin trans never went over 167 degrees..unless i got caught in stop and go while towing on the freeway.

Mine runs 210-220 highway driving towing or not grade or flat. Still hard for me to swallow.

mine hit 235 towing heavy in 95 deg temps on the highway. ...and its not hot here yet and i have some 7 to 9 percent grades....gonna be interesting. ..

my ram with the aisin trans never went over 167 degrees..unless i got caught in stop and go while towing on the freeway.

That's the hottest I've heard by a good 10 degrees. That would get my attention.

heading out fri for some good climbs...well see

I seen this sticker on the side of the transmission. I haven’t read the manual so not sure what the 195 - 215 degrees is referring to. Operating temp? Max or min temp?
002DEAFF-0699-45C6-8D89-54E4BBB59AF5.jpeg

That's the hottest I've heard by a good 10 degrees. That would get my attention.

it hit 100 here..and unloaded it runs 210 to 212....was towing in the mtns in 95 deg heat and it stays in the 225 to 237 range. ...no lights on the dash so i guess its ok? hard to swallow after all my years towing.

i did see where the trans fluid flash point is 370 degrees. ..but i cannot find anything on line ref to what the "normal" temps should be

Is there a high transmission temperature alarm/setpoint? If so what is it?

Cruising around town I saw 203F and that was maybe 10 mins into driving. Going for a drive this weekend up the TX coast, I'll mark some info then and report back.

After watching the YouTube video where the guy shows with the Ford software that the transmission is set to run at 220 degrees I guess I'm not worried about it anymore.... it was interesting to find out that the fan will not kick on until eng temp is 220 and trans temp is 246...

so 237 towing seems ok....my truck climbs a 6 to 8 percent grade over 2500 ft in 100 deg temps and the trans stays at about 210 to 220 (empty). .

so im just used to seeing 170 deg temps in my dodge....i just have to train myself that this is the new normal

After watching the YouTube video where the guy shows with the Ford software that the transmission is set to run at 220 degrees I guess I'm not worried about it anymore.... it was interesting to find out that the fan will not kick on until eng temp is 220 and trans temp is 246...

so 237 towing seems ok....my truck climbs a 6 to 8 percent grade over 2500 ft in 100 deg temps and the trans stays at about 210 to 220 (empty). .

so im just used to seeing 170 deg temps in my dodge....i just have to train myself that this is the new normal
I’m still struggling with the new “normal”, my friends 10 speed f150 tranny let go at 120k miles... mine is running in the same temp range, I hope we are not trading longevity for a couple tenths of a mile per gallon.

I hit 212 running to Vegas when it was 109 outside. Running the steep 13 mile grade north of Baker, Ca

Saw 241f briefly pulling my 37’ fifth wheel up Floyd Hill outside Denver on I-70 today. Not encouraging. I saw the trans temp gauge move from “center” to 3/4 as it climbed from ~229 to 241.

timg]

Saw 241f briefly pulling my 37’ fifth wheel up Floyd Hill outside Denver on I-70 today. Not encouraging. I saw the trans temp gauge move from “center” to 3/4 as it climbed from ~229 to 241.

timg]

pulled my toyhauler home after rebuilding the bushings in 108 deg temps...my trans stayed at 238 to 231 for 60 miles.

02EFFD7C-AF91-463E-9DCD-CB43F5590CFD.jpeg

Towing light (3,400) through Blue Ridge. Max was 210 about 70 min into trip. Driving 70-75.

Ok9Amvv.jpg

Came back over through Eisenhower Tunnel again and saw temps hit 241 again at around a vmax of 57 mph pulling the ~13k lb trailer, temps outside were in the mid-60s at the 10-11k ft elevation.

The 7.3 generally does alright but definitely runs out of steam as the atmosphere thins out. More concerned about these elevated trans temps. As soon as we were on the other side they dropped into the 220s but I never saw lower than 215 the entire drive back into Denver.

13k seems like a lot for a non-diesel to tow.

Latest Discussions

Back