Tranny temp gauge?

zeke2020

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 lariat, 7.3L Tremor
I have a question about your typical transmission temperature reading. I live in central NY and oddly, when the outside temperature is above 28 or so degrees (F), the gauge appears to work as it should. But below that temperature, the reading barely moves from the “bottom” even after 20 + mile trip to work which is both highway and city. Anybody else have this living in colder states? Maybe has something to do with materials used in the transmission?

That's normal in really cold temps as these trucks have auxiliary coolers.
Have you tried to display the temp in the instrument panel to verify?

That's normal in really cold temps as these trucks have auxiliary coolers.
Have you tried to display the temp in the instrument panel to verify?
Yes. Barely shows 100 degrees

I have 40 miles trip will start at 40 degree and will be at 190 once I am at work

I just experienced this. Outside temp 22F and after a 10 minute warmup in the driveway and a 2 mile drive to pick up a trailer 109F. 20 mile drive later still unchanged. Restarted the truck and in less than 3 miles it was 165F . I think I got a problem.

I just experienced this. Outside temp 22F and after a 10 minute warmup in the driveway and a 2 mile drive to pick up a trailer 109F. 20 mile drive later still unchanged. Restarted the truck and in less than 3 miles it was 165F . I think I got a problem.
Maybe... Honestly I only really be concerned if it over heats ... But maybe you should have a go pro or something record the temp as your drive to see if it is updating or if it really just jumped 60 degrees

Do you have a digital read and a cluster gauge? My truck does......if so compare the 2.
Mechanically your fine and will also remind you, it's takes quite a while for tranny temps to start reading, especially when cold as these big trucks have large factory cooling systems.

Take it on a longer run a re-verify.

Edit: dangit, I already posted to this thread, sorry.

Back