Trailer Hooks don’t fit.....

Foxfire0616

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor
Has anyone else run into the issue on their Tremor hitch where the clevis hooks on the safety chains won't insert all the way into the openings on the bumper because the holes/eyelets are too damn small? Barley get hooks in and can not get spring closed? Any suggestions? If talked about before I apologize, but looked and could not find...

Has anyone else run into the issue on their Tremor hitch where the clevis hooks on the safety chains won't insert all the way into the openings on the bumper because the holes/eyelets are too damn small? Barley get hooks in and can not get spring closed? Any suggestions? If talked about before I apologize, but looked and could not find...
Yes, others have complained about the same issue. You can add D-Hooks, Hammer Locks or buy different safety chain hooks. I was planning to buy D-Hooks because they can be removed quite easily.

The safety chains from my TT fit perfectly, so I did not have to buy anything new...

Yes, others have complained about the same issue. You can add D-Hooks, Hammer Locks or buy different safety chain hooks. I was planning to buy D-Hooks because they can be removed quite easily.

The safety chains from my TT fit perfectly, so I did not have to buy anything new...
Thanks all. Looking at options now. ??

Mine do not fit so I ordered a new set of hooks for my trailer that reviews had said fit f250/350. Personally I don’t want hammer locks dangling 24/7 and 3/4” d ring shackles do not fit on my truck they bind. Many other people have had them fit I’ve tried all 3 sets I have and they do not fit. Also they risk coming loose as they screw in.

I’m using 3/4” D-Ring’s by Rhino. They fit well. Snug enough to not move around unloaded. And they don’t seem to loosen on their own. (I have the 2.5” hitch.)

Hammerlocks for this guy. Personal preference, of course.

Attachments

• 6C074B2A-2AB3-41AF-AA03-A8C570C0731A.jpeg
    6C074B2A-2AB3-41AF-AA03-A8C570C0731A.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 512
K.I.S.S. Words .. I do my best, to live by. ? While I somewhat agree with the few that say the trailer safety chain Hooks should be the part thats modified to fit the Ford Safety Chain Attachment Design. You just cant do that to every trailer to Tow. Saying that, 1/2" Hammer-Locks are the shit.

If using a D-ring you can use a cotter ring. Can feed through the hole and around ring .No sharp edges to rip you up. They are used in marine applications. Better than cotter pin, Removable without pliers. Pin can not turn. Just have to size by size of D-ring and clevis pin. Hard to explain hookup so here is an article. They use a split ring but cotter ring is easier.

Example.... https://eoceanic.com/sailing/tips/ALL/68/

Last edited:
I have hammerlocks and the trailer hooks still won't fit. They made the "S" so tight hard to figure out what to do. It's on a Sunset Trail camper, BTW. Might do the D ring and bypass the hook.

I have a set of those large safety hooks too, but they don't fit very well. And the frame holes have sharp edges. Leaving a shackle in them will just let it rattle, and a rope cannot be used with them.

So, I welded on a 20,000 lb swinging D ring under the receiver. The small twist shackle is for the breakaway cable. The D ring will also be great for pulling with my tug-em-strap, or any recovery operations.

The Anderson plug is there to supply up to 80 amps to my Black Series trailer for charging its batteries while towing, or running an electric/hydraulic jack, or running an air compressor. From that point I can reach the truck tires and the trailer tires. I can also charge the truck through it from the trailer's solar system. If there is no sun, and the trailer needs power, I can simply plug in and idle the truck for a while to bring the trailer batteries up.

Everyone who tows a travel trailer should have an Anderson plug. These supply much more power than the seven pin plug.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpeg
    1-1.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 1-2.jpeg
    1-2.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 189
One thing to clarify if you are saying hooks fit well is what size your hitch is. The 3" fits most hooks well, the 2.5" basically fits nothing, there is a difference in the hook loop size. Hammerlocks are the best solution for the 2.5" hitch that Ford really messed up on with the product testing...

My $0.02 - the hammerlocks look strong and robust, no doubt they are up to the job. I don't like that they are not removeable.

Locally, I found two 1/2" quick links and will try those. They are rated at 3,300#. They fit, but they don't hang vertical, so my OCD alarm went off. I don't think this is the best solution, but I will give it a whirl. I need something now because I am going to be using them on Monday.

On line, my wife found some quick links that are kinda triangular, but I could not find these locally.

Yeesh, these pics are huge! Anyway, HTH.

quick link 2.jpg
quick link 1.jpg

The triangular shaped, or delta, quick links are available on amazon, but they're a bit pricey. I may just buy a set and see how they work.

Back