Trailer hitches

I haul a 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29bh that's almost 35 ft long and I use the weigh safe weight distribution hitch. anything else i use a bw stow n go

Not all applications need a WD hitch, but when you are trailering an enclosed trailer (race car, TT or toybox) there is no downside to a WD hitch with sway control and a lot of added safety. The more it weighs, taller it is and longer it is, the more you will benefit from WD hitch with sway control.

For open trailers, lighter loads, boats etc. you probably just need a good hitch with proper weight rating and the appropriate size ball. For Race car trailers, TT and toy box's you need to factor in the impact of wind and aero push (from semi's and other trailers) that can cause unexpected sway. Having WD with sway control will give you a more security.

In the end the key issue for consideration is getting the trailer properly set up, getting your load properly adjusted, so it is balanced with the truck - you have to get your tongue weight right etc. There is no "typical" set up - just the one you have, whatever it is for your specific trailer. As the weight of the trailer rises and you have an enclosed trailer, TT or toybox - you should consider adding WD hitch with sway control.

I use a weigh safe WD and sway control hitch for my 10k toybox - works very well - one of its many features is that is sets back 1' and allows you to open your tailgate - which is nice. They offer both weight distribution hitch's and just adjustable hitch's as well. Lots of good mfg.'s out there - do your homework! When it comes to your safety and of those around you never shop on price - get something that is proven and works.

Hers is weigh safe link and a few interesting videos to watch.
Link: https://www.weigh-safe.com/weight-d...MIstTio7vd-QIVLiCtBh1_qQfWEAAYASAAEgIv0fD_BwE

link:

Link:

Not all applications need a WD hitch, but when you are trailering an enclosed trailer (race car, TT or toybox) there is no downside to a WD hitch with sway control and a lot of added safety. The more it weighs, taller it is and longer it is, the more you will benefit from WD hitch with sway control.

For open trailers, lighter loads, boats etc. you probably just need a good hitch with proper weight rating and the appropriate size ball. For Race car trailers, TT and toy box's you need to factor in the impact of wind and aero push (from semi's and other trailers) that can cause unexpected sway. Having WD with sway control will give you a more security.

In the end the key issue for consideration is getting the trailer properly set up, getting your load properly adjusted, so it is balanced with the truck - you have to get your tongue weight right etc. There is no "typical" set up - just the one you have, whatever it is for your specific trailer. As the weight of the trailer rises and you have an enclosed trailer, TT or toybox - you should consider adding WD hitch with sway control.

I use a weigh safe WD and sway control hitch for my 10k toybox - works very well - one of its many features is that is sets back 1' and allows you to open your tailgate - which is nice. They offer both weight distribution hitch's and just adjustable hitch's as well. Lots of good mfg.'s out there - do your homework! When it comes to your safety and of those around you never shop on price - get something that is proven and works.

Hers is weigh safe link and a few interesting videos to watch.
Link: https://www.weigh-safe.com/weight-d...MIstTio7vd-QIVLiCtBh1_qQfWEAAYASAAEgIv0fD_BwE

link:

Link:
Well stated @Supercup

I'm considering buying the Weight-Safe True Tow for a 32' TT 11K# GVWR. I like the idea of being able to get my tailgate open, but I'm not liking the lack of a 3" shaft option on the draw bar.

Are those on here with the 3" receiver and this WDH using a reducer?
Or did you buy another manufacturer's drawbar?

I'm considering buying the Weight-Safe True Tow for a 32' TT 11K# GVWR. I like the idea of being able to get my tailgate open, but I'm not liking the lack of a 3" shaft option on the draw bar.

Funny you ask, I went with a different manufacturer altogether for both the WDH as well as the shank (draw bar). I was hoping that the WDH adapter I use would work for you with the Weigh Safe True Tow, but it does not appear that it would. Anyway, here's my setup if it helps with any ideas.

Reese WDH:
Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution Kit, 11,500 lbs. Capacity, Shank Included

BulletProof Hitches 3" Receiver Shank:
3.0" HEAVY DUTY 4″ DROP/RISE HITCH

BulletProof WDH Adapter:
HEAVY DUTY WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ADAPTER

Last edited:
I am new to RV towing so I am looking at the multitude of available hitches and have no clue what would work best. I just got a 34’ Jayco trailer. I also have a 16’ utility trailer and a 17’ boat trailer. The RV being the most critical should I use a weight distribution or an anti sway? If so will they be useful for my smaller trailers? Should I have one for the RV and one for the others? Curious to hear what other’s are using.
I have 29ft toy hauler that will weigh 7-10k depending on how it’s loaded, 1050 tongue weight. I have bulletproof hitch w/bulletproof sway bar and I run black sumosprings. Rides great, never had any issues, even in windy conditions.

I use weigh safe WD hitch with 2.5” shank and have 3” receiver. Use a standard reducer and have no issues. Love the hitch.

I am towing a 10k 24’ ATC toy box with 1,500 lb tongue weight. Love the extra length and the tailgate opening

You won’t be disappointed with Weigh safe

I use weigh safe WD hitch with 2.5” shank and have 3” receiver. Use a standard reducer and have no issues. Love the hitch.

I am towing a 10k 24’ ATC toy box with 1,500 lb tongue weight. Love the extra length and the tailgate opening

You won’t be disappointed with Weigh safe

Thank you. That's the vote of confidence I needed.

Thank you. That's the vote of confidence I needed.
I haven't used it yet but I have the weigh safe hitch and use it with an adapter. I pulled a 36ft Bunkhouse with a EZ2 WD Hitch with an adapter sleeve for two years and never had a problem. If you tow a lot, you know that opening the tailgate while hitched up makes life easier.

My previous vehicle was an Excursion, and I had great success with a ProPride hitch. It also gives about an additional foot of tailgate clearance in comparison to a traditional hitch. I am using it with the truck now, and I love it. Much more expensive option than the Weigh Safe, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

My previous vehicle was an Excursion, and I had great success with a ProPride hitch. It also gives about an additional foot of tailgate clearance in comparison to a traditional hitch. I am using it with the truck now, and I love it. Much more expensive option than the Weigh Safe, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

It's on my radar, but like you said the $$ is high.

andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/
I looked into the Andersen hitch before purchasing the WeighSafe. It is definitely unique and I liked the simplicity in design and lower overall weight. What I was hesitant about, and what ultimately steered me away from this, was the amount of weight distribution it can provide. I think for lower tongue weight/GVWR trailers it would be fine. Maybe even for mine (10400lb GVWR), but I didn't want to buy it only to find out it wasn't up to the task...

I looked into the Andersen hitch before purchasing the WeighSafe. It is definitely unique and I liked the simplicity in design and lower overall weight. What I was hesitant about, and what ultimately steered me away from this, was the amount of weight distribution it can provide. I think for lower tongue weight/GVWR trailers it would be fine. Maybe even for mine (10400lb GVWR), but I didn't want to buy it only to find out it wasn't up to the task...
Agree, the great reviews I have seen on this hitch were from owners with trailers on the lighter side. Those with heavier trailers weren’t as pleased.

Those with heavier trailers weren’t as pleased.
Exactly. It seems like they weren't getting enough distributed weight back on the front of the truck.

yea, my trailer is only little over 6400 lbs loaded. I think my tongue weight is 700 or 800.

I think it's absolutely critical (for safety) to use a weight distribution hitch. I don't run sway control, though my Reese WDH design uses spring bars that provide light sway control on top of the weight distribution function.

Here's what I recommend (and I love this setup).
  1. Reese 49913 Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch (for your RV)
  2. BulletProof Heavy Duty Drop Hitch (can use this with the included BP ball(s) for normal towing and then slap on the adapter for the Reese WDH above)
  3. BulletProof WDH Heavy Duty Adaptor (be careful to buy the heavy duty and not the medium duty adapter)
I use #2 on it's own and it's great!

I use #2 on it's own and it's great!
I agree! I actually just realized I linked the 6” drop. I actually use the 4” drop for my tall travel trailer. Keeps me from dragging over rough bumps and ditches.

Just a heads up for anyone that's been thinking about a Weigh Safe hitch system. They have a pre-black Friday sale that's starting with a 20% discount. Here's a screen shot of the email sent me with the discount code:
1668097404122.png

Latest Discussions

Back