Trading Up (2016 F150 SCrew 3.5) to 2020 Tremor (I'm Torn!! 250 or 350???)

Bones972

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
2016 F150 XLT
First Responder
Police
Hey guys I am about to put in an order for a new Tremor.
I have been building them online for some time and its now time to pull the trigger... I am torn between the F250 and the F350.
I am sticking with the Godzilla motor. I really don't think I need a Power-stroke for what I will be using the truck for.
The truck will basically be a "Pavement Princess" and only used for towing a couple times per year.
I don't really have anywhere to off-road so, yeah that's not an issue.
I do however have a LEAD FOOT and the 3.5 I have is like a rocket HAHA! How much of a change will this be?

Right now I tow a 9k boat a couple times a year about 10 miles to the marina.
I tow an 8k dump trailer a few times a year so Payload isn't really an issue because I tow in the dump trailer.
I am retiring within the year and looking to eventually get a 5th wheel for extended vacation trips.

What are the Pro's and Con's on both.
Would the 250 be more comfortable with highway travel than the 350?
Below is the build I am looking at going with.
Anything I missed on the build or anything I should look at adding?

Thanks for any help!!
Bones
Tremor Build.JPG

I have a very similar build to you, cant speak to the 250 vs 350, but a few extras I have, Adaptive Steering, cant compare to not having it but I have seen complaints from people who don't have it, I think it handles/steers great. Heated rear seats, for my daughters (I am in Northeast - Ohio same weather or worse, Wiper deicer for same reason - haven't used it, Power running boards, my wife isn't very tall, clearance lights cuz they look cool, upfitter switches (I highly recommend these if you plan on adding any electrical accessories, makes it a breeze, and they look cool) Good luck on the decision, what color you getting?

I am going with the Iconic Silver. Had that on my 11-F150 and LOVED IT. Easy to keep clean. Changed to Magnetic with this F150 and Love it when it is clean but its a pain to keep that way with a 500' gravel driveway.

Yeah I was thinking about upfitter Switches and Adaptive Steering.
I did do the heated steering wheel because-well Northern Ohio... Not sure I would really need the back heated though since I hardly ever have more than 2 in my truck.

I have been building them online for some time and its now time to pull the trigger... I am torn between the F250 and the F350.
I am sticking with the Godzilla motor. I really don't think I need a Power-stroke for what I will be using the truck for.
The truck will basically be a "Pavement Princess" and only used for towing a couple times per year.
I do however have a LEAD FOOT and the 3.5 I have is like a rocket HAHA! How much of a change will this be?

I tow an 8k dump trailer a few times a year so Payload isn't really an issue because I tow in the dump trailer.
I am retiring within the year and looking to eventually get a 5th wheel for extended vacation trips.

Thanks for any help!!
BonesView attachment 1957
This is exactly the decision process I went through. My sales guy (that I have been dealing with for years) is the dealer's fleet truck guy and sells the performance vehicles for the dealership. He basically told me that there was a very minor difference in ride between the 250 and 350 and the cost was not really that much more .... but the fact was that the resale and demand for a 350 wold be much greater than the 250. So that made my decision for me ... and I am very pleased with my F-350 Tremor .....

Iconic silver will look great with the sport package black accents, I was on the fence with that color,

F250. No need for an f350 unless you're going dually. Pulled this yesterday 600 miles with my f250 w/ no bags cuz they are on backorder.
I had a 250 with 6.7 crew cab and stepped up to the 350 because of payload . For the same money and better load ability , not much different ride, love pulling our Grand Design 337 RL.

Thanks for any help!!
BonesView attachment 1957
I think the price difference is about $900.

With the 7.3 the bumper pull rating is 15,000 for both. 5th/Goose is 17,500 (F250) and 20,000 (F350).

Payload difference I estimate at 500 lbs based on everyone’s door sticker pictures.

There really aren’t many pros/cons.

For me, I’d rather have the $900 to spend on something else

Our story is much like a lot of folks that have a truck for periodic towing and went by a manufactures published data in determining what we “thought” we Were able to tow.
The payload sticker on our 2019 , F 250 crew cab , 6.7 L , 4x4 Was 2175.
The payload sticker on our 2020 F 350 crew cab , 4x4, 6.7 L. = 3235 .
With the extra payload capacity there are more options for towing A Heavy loaded trailer like a goose neck or 5th wheel and still have capacity for friends or family to ride along, Legally Vs mechanically capable. Peace of mind knowing that I am not exceeding weight limits is what made up our decision.

Check with your state fees. Here in WI the plate is more expensive for the 350 over the 250. ( The 250 you have a choice for a lower weight plate but they make you get the heavy plate with a 350.)

7.3 250 may be the way to go for you.

I bought a 2020 F350 coming out of a 2011 F250. I would buy the F 350 because the rear axle is larger (depending on axle ratio). The stiffer suspension doesn't come into play until you are loaded. Either way, you will love your new truck.

I thought the 250 and 350 tremor have the same rear suspension and axle?
From what I was reading, the front suspension on the Power Stroke is different
It sounded like it was more of a door sticker/"Allowable" payload issue between the two?

Can anyone confirm this?

Bones,

I believe that you are correct. Every time I have built out my 250 Tremor, it makes me add the (HD spring package—— I’m sure it’s called something else) which from what I understand are the 350’s rear springs and axles.

At this point, I am left to believe that a 250 Tremor and a 350 Tremor both equipped with the same engine are the same truck just with different badging.

If anyone out there knows of another difference please chime in.

F250 Tremor has the same rear leaf springs as typical F350. I don’t know what Ford does to increase the F350 Tremor payload.

Last edited:
That being the case, is there any difference between a 250 Tremor and a 350 Tremor other than the badges?

Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt the Tremor F350 have a rear sway bar where as the F250 does not?

I know this is one of the age old questions and everyone has an opinion and it's unlikely to sway anyone away from their position. That said, I'll give it a shot.

imho, I don't even understand why the 250 exists. If your spending $63,400 then $64,300 doesn't really make any difference. You see all these guys that buy a 250 then put air bags under it. Why not just get a 350 and be done with it? The cost of the airbags mostly offsets the $900 extra so you didn't really save any money in the end.

They don't ride much different. Maybe if you got out of one and immediately got into the other you might notice a little difference but once it's yours and your driving it every day...no difference. Same as standing in Best Buy looking at tv's agonizing over which one has a little better picture. News flash, they are both awesome and far better than what your replacing so get one and when it's in your living room you stop thinking about the minute differences between them.

I recognize that some areas have difference plate costs for 250/350 but those areas are pretty few and far between. If you happen to live in one of those areas then maybe that becomes a factor depending on the cost difference but if you don't live in one of those areas then it's a complete non-issue.

I've always approached trucks as biggest engine, biggest gears, biggest suspension and that way you won't be disappointed with a $60k+ purchase 2 years from now if you decide to buy a bigger trailer only to find out you don't have enough truck. Never buy the minimum just to get by of anything. Over buy, over engineer, etc. that way you future proof yourself as much as is reasonably possible.

Back