Towing update with the 7.3

sroemmich

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
As my truck gets more mileage on it I am liking it more and more. Another quick camping trip over and I am continually impressed with this pickup. Not quite 300 miles this trip, almost all flat 55-65 mph. Increased lifetime towing mpg to 11.6, in my opinion amazing for a gasser 3/4 ton towing a 28' 7500-8500lb trailer depending on what we are taking with us. Previously the best mpg I got was with a chevy 1500 with the 6.2 at about 9 mpg.

IMG_2508.jpg

Do you still have the Dratrac tires? How does the trailer track for you? Any sway issues?

Do you still have the Dratrac tires? How does the trailer track for you? Any sway issues?
Yep stock tires, tracks great. Maybe im just getting used to it, but it feels way better than when I first got it. 2000 miles on it now.

I towed my 38’ 10k today for the first time and I was having sway problems at 65 mph. There was a 15 mpg wind as well. I aired up the Duratracs to 80 r / 60 f as indicated. I think I’ll try 70/55 and see how that works.

I towed my 38’ 10k today for the first time and I was having sway problems at 65 mph. There was a 15 mpg wind as well. I aired up the Duratracs to 80 r / 60 f as indicated. I think I’ll try 70/55 and see how that works.
65F / 65R has been working well for me, my trailer has a very heavy tongue weight in relationship to the total weight, I have not had any sway problems towing it with the previous 1/2 tons we have had.

I’ll try that and see how it goes.
no TPMS at 65?
Thanks. Have a great weekend.

I’ll try that and see how it goes.
no TPMS at 65?
Thanks. Have a great weekend.
Zero TPMS issues, I bought the stuff for Forscan as well so I can lower them more when I am not towing.

11.6 is very impressive. 3.5 Ecoboost towing 6500lbs (but at 70-75, within rated limits of tires and truck) averaged 10.0

Memorial day weekend trip update, more mountains, and ugly crosswind trying to push us around, and WAY more gear (pretty sure we brought everything we own). Drive consisted of more highway mountains and a 30 minute leg of stop and go through every red light through a town. Ended up at 9.4 mpg for the trip of 200 miles. Truck continues to impress dragging weight around, don't think I have yet had to rev over 3200 rpm and and at hwy speed it lugs along in 10 gear like nothing is behind it. LOVE IT

Back