Towing MPG seems low

I have about 1,000 miles towing on my 2022 since I picked it up in December 2021. I have 2,500 +/- miles.

I am towing a 24' ATC toybox -that is 10k loaded and am towing in S. Cal up an over the grades and down to the desert - getting 9.5 - 10.8 per trip, depending on the wind. Last trip at 10.8 with limited wind. I was happy with 10.8, given load and up and down mountain each way. In the flats I did a check last trip also and got around 12 towing home, no wind.
That is definitely more in line with what I am getting. I drive very conservatively, and it’s looking more like 11-11.3 at this point over past 500 miles. Leaving Winslow today after a couple days work… heading to SW Colorado for a few days. Hopefully things will continue to improve slightly, although I am coming to terms with it. The way it tows over my 2006 gmc 2500 is considerably nicer and more relaxing. I will take a reduced expectation of mpg for comfort and safety. Not saying anything negative about my old gmc….it served us very well, just time for an upgrade.

Not one mention of the speed you're driving in any of that. That's the single biggest variable in your towing MPG. Anything above 65 MPH and it's going to drop fast.

In my experience towing enclosed trailers with a diesel for the last 15 years, wind resistance has more to do with mileage than trailer weight. My new gooseneck enclosed weighs 5000# more than my old tag, but the gooseneck gets better mileage because I'm not pulling a vertical wall through the air.

Sure, people claim 13-14 MPG, but what they're probably driving 55 MPH everywhere. If you're out on the interstate going the speed limit (65-75 MPH), it's going to be around 10 MPG. +/- depending on the wind. On the same trip driving the same speed, you'll dip into the single digits driving into the wind and might see 13-14 driving with the wind. I've seen as low 6 MPG with a strong headwind in Wyoming and dropping down to 55 MPH to keep the trailer under control.
I tried the 55 speed for a while to see if that would help…didn’t do very much oddly enough. Completely agree drag is more detrimental than weight, especially as speed increases. My ORV 22FQS, like all ORV,s are very tall and provide significant flat plate drag surface area. After realizing the truck was going to get less than desirable mpg, I decided to try 65/70. Damned if the mpg seemed to stay the same….
I will try and always drive with a tailwind going forward!:)
Thank you for your response….

Speed is a key variable. Different states have different rules - so if towing 70-75 outside CA I would expect mileage on the lower end of the range - seems 65-70 +/- is a good spot for mileage!

Love these modern diesel trucks, how they tow and the mileage we get - amazing how far they have com in past 10 years. The 10 speed in the Ford/GM is a game changer for sure - but doubling the power over that time is pretty nice!

Back