Towing D-ring question

As far as I’m concerned, go (north)American made, or go home. Crosby shackles for this guy when the safety of myself or others is on the line. I don’t trust the Chinese stuff to actually be up to break strength, proper metallurgy, etc. I messed up earlier and bought some shackles from Rhino USA thinking they were actually American made, but they were not, so I replaced them with these. 🍻

As far as I’m concerned, go (north)American made, or go home. Crosby shackles for this guy when the safety of myself or others is on the line. I don’t trust the Chinese stuff to actually be up to break strength, proper metallurgy, etc. I messed up earlier and bought some shackles from Rhino USA thinking they were actually American made, but they were not, so I replaced them with these. 🍻

I am with you 100%. Use the hitch and chains as intended or employ quality shackles/hammerlocks. If I need to use shackles they will be Crosby bolt-type installed per their recommendation so they can rotate properly and not reduce the load as @Nitrodoc instructed. ...or I will install quality hammerlocks.

I'm sure everyone has seen this one by now...

"Miraculously, instead of plunging to their death, the safety chain attached to the camper trailer held tight, allowing the truck to dangle off the edge of the bridge while remaining anchored to the roadway by the camper and chain."
1634049920095.png

Not a place to save a few dollars in my opinion!!!
1634050580316.png

This will reduce the load handling by ~50%, which may be fine with a quality part, but I would not trust the claims of the off-brand Amazon shackles for $30. There is a reason the proper 7 ton 3/4" Crosby bolt shackle costs $100

It's like saying my $5 fire extinguisher is fine... without ever having used it to put out a fire...

I am with you 100%. Use the hitch and chains as intended or employ quality shackles/hammerlocks. If I need to use shackles they will be Crosby bolt-type installed per their recommendation so they can rotate properly and not reduce the load as @Nitrodoc instructed. ...or I will install quality hammerlocks.

I'm sure everyone has seen this one by now...

"Miraculously, instead of plunging to their death, the safety chain attached to the camper trailer held tight, allowing the truck to dangle off the edge of the bridge while remaining anchored to the roadway by the camper and chain."
View attachment 36476

Not a place to save a few dollars in my opinion!!!
View attachment 36477

This will reduce the load handling by ~50%, which may be fine with a quality part, but I would not trust the claims of the off-brand Amazon shackles for $30. There is a reason the proper 7 ton 3/4" Crosby bolt shackle costs $100

It's like saying my $5 fire extinguisher is fine... without ever having used it to put out a fire...
I’m not worried about it and you shouldn’t be either. How do you figure it will reduce the load ? I think they were like 9500 lb working load limit if I remember right. I hate trailer chains and think that they should not be required any way because the last thing I want if the trailer comes loose is for it to be dragging behind me. I’ve scene the after affects of that and it’s not good.

I’m not worried about it and you shouldn’t be either. How do you figure it will reduce the load ?
I am going off Crosby's guidelines for side-loading the shackle:

1634122825066.png

My trailer came with hooks on the chains and they do fit on the hitch, no issue.

View attachment 36537

I totally agree. My problem with this solution is I tow multiple trailers. Including the occasional Rental Dump Trailers and U-Haul Car Trailers. Thats why I chose Hammer Locks to solves this dilemma. U-Haul's design works perfect if you have enough safety chain to loop threw the hitch and back into its self.

I’m not worried about it and you shouldn’t be either. How do you figure it will reduce the load ? I think they were like 9500 lb working load limit if I remember right. I hate trailer chains and think that they should not be required any way because the last thing I want if the trailer comes loose is for it to be dragging behind me. I’ve scene the after affects of that and it’s not good.
So you would prefer that the trailer would come loose and potentially injure or kill a person in a vehicle behind you with a lack of safety chains instead of having it dragging and damaging the back of your truck? The chains are to protect others in the event that something breaks or comes loose (usually due to operator error), not to protect your property. I guess my priorities are a little different. 🍻

I'm with Apparition... Just change the hooks. Most quality trailers (and they're attached chains) have hooks on them with cross pins... I always carry spare hooks in the truck so if I need to I can change out another trailer's quickly... It's just a cross pin and pliers!

I'm with Apparition... Just change the hooks. Most quality trailers (and they're attached chains) have hooks on them with cross pins... I always carry spare hooks in the truck so if I need to I can change out another trailer's quickly... It's just a cross pin and pliers!
I agree, but not on my bass boat trailer, which has retractable cables.

Hi folks
What are you all using to attach your trailer chains to the tow hitch? The Tremor has large hook-eyes in the receiver and my chain clips don’t go through the holes Any possible solutions that everyone is doing?
Don't forget to attach the trailer brake emergency cable to another part of the vehicle, not on the hitch, cause if the hitch breaks or comes loose so does the cable, I attached a u bolt on the frame rail and run the cable directly to the bolt, safety first. Seen to many hitches break off from weight load and the RV or trailer, and the cable is attached to the hitch, death trap. Just my opinion

Don't forget to attach the trailer brake emergency cable to another part of the vehicle, not on the hitch, cause if the hitch breaks or comes loose so does the cable, I attached a u bolt on the frame rail and run the cable directly to the bolt, safety first. Seen to many hitches break off from weight load and the RV or trailer, and the cable is attached to the hitch, death trap. Just my opinion

I always attach the emergency brake cable to the end of a safety chain just behind the hook.

It’ll trip in any scenario I can imagine, avoids the problem of how to connect it to the truck, and makes it so as long as I remember to put my safety chains on I couldn’t have forgotten to hook up the breakaway cable.

Back