Towing Big Trailer

rwe

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
raptor
So, I have a question/concern that has been plaguing me for a while and wanted to see if anyone else had done something similar or what you guys thought of this. We just got a new 36' stacker race trailer (similar dimension trailer pictured below). It's 13' tall and weighs ~10,500lbs dry. When moving, it weighs between 18,600 and 20,000lbs depending on whats going on that weekend. We have measured weights for pin weight and average traveling payload, with the spec 350 Tremor we have a build sheet for, the weights will always work for both payload and trailer pull weight. That said, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Admittedly, this will be my first time using a stacker trailer on a pick up, typically for race weeks I drive a 70' hauler with 26-30,000lbs trailer and have a commercial license. That said, I have some concern about towing this trailer with a short bed srw truck and wanted to see if anyone had done something similar to this and what their experience was. I know several people have hooked up 20,000lbs toy haulers to these trucks without any problem. But, given those tend to have all the weight down low, and this car trailer will have ~5,500lbs of its payload weight in the top 65" of the trailer, how would you feel about that? This truck will be my daily, moving from a raptor, and I live in Los Angeles so having a dually is a huge pain in the ass. Even long bed srw's are a pain. (90% of the time this trailer moves it will be less than 250miles round trip and through typically calm wind areas. I was looking to put an order in on Monday, but have been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks. Any help/experience anyone has with anything even remotely similar would be appreciated.

DSC00357.jpg

As long as you stay within the payload ranges Ford warrants, you’ll be fine. A little sag but nothing major, and you could even add some airbags easily to give you increased confidence and a bit less sag. Outside of that, based on your comments of wind, it appears you’re worried about the stability? Personally I think you’ll be fine given the sway control systems et cetera. I don’t think a DRW will make a major difference here, but certainly a small one. If you wanted to have 100% confidence you could add a rear sway bar to the SRW in addition to the airbags. At that point you’d probably have the capability of a DRW almost in terms of ride quality and sway protection.

As long as you stay within the payload ranges Ford warrants, you’ll be fine. A little sag but nothing major, and you could even add some airbags easily to give you increased confidence and a bit less sag. Outside of that, based on your comments of wind, it appears you’re worried about the stability? Personally I think you’ll be fine given the sway control systems et cetera. I don’t think a DRW will make a major difference here, but certainly a small one. If you wanted to have 100% confidence you could add a rear sway bar to the SRW in addition to the airbags. At that point you’d probably have the capability of a DRW almost in terms of ride quality and sway protection.

Thanks for the insight. Stability was definitely my concern. We run all fifth wheels too so hoping that will help over the gooseneck. Wass looking into airbags as well as an option if I didn't, or any of my guys didnt have confidence in the truck after the first pull.

Back