Towing before 1k

WhiskyThrottle

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
retired
Current Ride
18’ GT350; 21'AMB F-350 Tremor
The break-in is 1K miles before towing and I planned to stick to that but I have a storage unit I need to move an air compressor(60 gal), and large tool box (empty) from with a 16x7.5 enclosed trailer. I don't think the weight would be an issue as it's only about 15 miles of suburban roads ( 35 mph max) and I plan to take it very easy, but I am concerned that plugging the trailer plug in while moving may trigger something in the computer or set some flag in the ecu that can void a warranty on this 6.7.
Am I paranoid or, opinions please.
Odometer is 280 miles

Edit: Weight may be about 3500 lbs

Last edited:
Hope paranoid or I need to be also ... hooking up my 7k boat and towing it 5k miles. With about 500 miles on truck.

Jumping the gun a tad are we, Akwagon? Wouldn't it prove prudent to wait until breakup before going fishing? ;)

I cant imagine it hurting anything, but it is a good rule to follow as best you can. If something is wrong in the drivetrain you are likely to know within 1k miles...rather it be empty than hooked up to a trailer when broken down.

Think of all the fleet owners that literally hook a trailer up straight off the lot and put 200k on these things.

I towed my new dump trailer home empty with just 300miles on the truck. It weighs about 3800 lbs. The Tremor didn't break a sweat of course. I did take a little longer route to avoid a steep grade. In my mind I just didn't want to work the engine hard during break-in.
It never occurred to me that Big Brother may be keeping an eye on me and voiding my warantee. I doubt it.
But I did consider the idea that my electric tooth brush might be sending emails to my dentist and insurance company reporting when I don't brush the full 2 minutes. ?

Where is this talk about voiding warrantees coming from? Is it in any of the literature?

Where is this talk about voiding warrantees coming from? Is it in any of the literature?
I am pretty sure it is a rule of thumb recommendation and not a void your warranty issue. If it did void the warranty, Ford would have to print that out in huge bold letters when they sold their premier towing vehicle to every person. The Dodge Ram and Chevy competitors would have a field day with it.

I'm not a lawyer and I avoid Holiday Inn Express but there is a legal concept called 'implied contractual terms'. If the manual says 1000 miles then that 'implies' that y'all better behave! ;)

I can’t recall where I read it. It was not stated as something someone knows is happening but more like someone said “I don’t want to tow because if something goes wrong “BB” can see that I plugged in a trailer” and It got me thinking.

Last edited:
It doesn’t specifically say it’ll void the warranty, but I’d say the manual warns against it. Which to me implies the potential for issues.
i honestly don’t care how anyone else uses their truck. I just know I like to follow the written word of the Ford lawyers. Lol

Attachments

• AB3C1071-8452-4C63-A689-C9F98EFA59F0.jpeg
    AB3C1071-8452-4C63-A689-C9F98EFA59F0.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 59
I can’t recall where I read it. It was not stated as something someone knows is happening but more like someone said “I don’t want to tow because if something goes wrong “BB” can see that I plugged in a trailer” It got me thinking.
That was probably one of my posts. Big brother can see Everything. They know when trailers are plugged in, they know when the engine is under load and even how much load.
I have a “haul gauge” which is a simple thing that plugs into the ODB port and it’s amazing how accurate it is. It accurately determines how much you’re towing based off the torque converter when you accelerate.
if i have $99 piece of plastic that can do that and a bunch of other things, you know darn well Ford can tell how many bugs are stuck to your windshield based on increased drag. Lol

I'm going to tow my 7000lb travel trailer about 20 miles within the first 1000 miles, I'd rather face Ford's wrath than my wife's if we had to cancel the first camping trip of the summer :ROFLMAO:

Back