Tow Hook Color Mod DONE

I did the red as it is my favorite color and all and your truck looks great!. I have a black truck and it is definitely accented with red. Mostly on the interior stuff but ya know. I'm going to black out or paint my hooks red...decisions.
Thank you for your service!

Thank you! Trust me it has been my pleasure, and three more years....I get that veteran status?
I was never in the military. One of my life's biggest regrets. My daughter is on her 2nd deployment aboard the Roosevelt. I get to live vicariously through her. Hooyah!!!

I was never in the military. One of my life's biggest regrets. My daughter is on her 2nd deployment aboard the Roosevelt. I get to live vicariously through her. Hooyah!!!
Most excellent! IS that the destroyer or the carrier?

I just did Mine, Had them powder coated matte black, they turned out good. Bumper removal was not too bad. but FYI: Bumper can not go back on without the hooks. Found this out after the fact, was planning to remove hooks send for coating and replace bumper while they were being done, nope had to cruise around for a week without a front bumper.. gotta admit it gave the front it a bit of a mean look.

I like it as well! Can see it not being for everyone, but adds some cool flair to the front of the truck!

Honestly something I’ve thought about for when I get my truck. Figure the red tow hooks would complement the Rapid Red body color I’m getting.
If I remember correctly, you ordered the Warn winch option. When the front bumper is off for the winch install remove the tow hooks and paint them Rapid Red or get Rapid Red powder coat from Prismatic. In addition, I would highly recommend getting some Grade 8 bolts to replace the OEM factory bolts. I will definitely be installing Grade 8 bolts to secure the tow hooks on my truck because I do not want a problem using the winch as described below.

A few years ago, I had a Ford Super Duty stolen while working in Texas. The thieves got the truck stuck in the mud about 6 miles east of Greenville. The tow company was located in Commerce and the tow truck driver was there the next morning when I went to pick up the truck. All three bolts busted on the LH side tow hook when he winched the truck out of the mud.....and the tow hook hit him in the chest.....knocked him on the ground. I went to Fastenal on the way back to Rockwall and ordered six Grade 8 bolts. It wasn't particularly fun exchanging the bolts with the front bumper on...but it was doable. I did an internet search and found Ravelco and got that installed two days later while the truck was at the Ford dealer. The crazy thing is......the thieves tried 2 more times to steal the truck. At that time, about 15 to 20 crew cab trucks a day were being stolen from the DFW area...and the Ford Super Duty was the favorite.

Atkins Ford in Winder Georgia equips several of their trucks with Wild Willies Custom Accessories and Real Deal Neal does several videos on YouTube. I recently saw a Black Ford F450 Super Duty with bright red and black Ford Oval, fender emblems, etc. Here is the link ---->

Here is a link for a shop that custom paints tailgate appliques, badges and emblems ----->

Another guy who sells this stuff on eBay is located in Florida ------>

BFN is more expensive than Outlaw LEDs......but maybe better paint match and better quality...don't know.

Attachments

• Ford SD - Lariat Custom Fender Emblem - 1.PNG
    Ford SD - Lariat Custom Fender Emblem - 1.PNG
    931.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Ford SD - Lariat Custom Fender Emblem - 2.PNG
    Ford SD - Lariat Custom Fender Emblem - 2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If I remember correctly, you ordered the Warn winch option. When the front bumper is off for the winch install remove the tow hooks and paint them Rapid Red or get Rapid Red powder coat from Prismatic. In addition, I would highly recommend getting some Grade 8 bolts to replace the OEM factory bolts. I will definitely be installing Grade 8 bolts to secure the tow hooks on my truck because I do not want a problem using the winch as described below.

A few years ago, I had a Ford Super Duty stolen while working in Texas. The thieves got the truck stuck in the mud about 6 miles east of Greenville. The tow company was located in Commerce and the tow truck driver was there the next morning when I went to pick up the truck. All three bolts busted on the LH side tow hook when he winched the truck out of the mud.....and the tow hook hit him in the chest.....knocked him on the ground. I went to Fastenal on the way back to Rockwall and ordered six Grade 8 bolts. It wasn't particularly fun exchanging the bolts with the front bumper on...but it was doable. I did an internet search and found Ravelco and got that installed two days later while the truck was at the Ford dealer. The crazy thing is......the thieves tried 2 more times to steal the truck. At that time, about 15 to 20 crew cab trucks a day were being stolen from the DFW area...and the Ford Super Duty was the favorite.
Ah that's all a really good callout. But the winch is already installed. Was installed before I could really have any input on it in any way. :(

That's crazy to have the bolts break like that! My only concern about going to grade 8 bolts for the tow hooks is if they were explicitly chosen to be a lower grade to act as a sort of shear pin?

Ah that's all a really good callout. But the winch is already installed. Was installed before I could really have any input on it in any way. :(

That's crazy to have the bolts break like that! My only concern about going to grade 8 bolts for the tow hooks is if they were explicitly chosen to be a lower grade to act as a sort of shear pin?
Exactly.....very crazy. Moreover, it scared the sh*t out of the tow truck driver. He told me he thought he was going to die right there in that field east of Greenville. That's a good question. I did not even consider that possibility. I could wrong, but I cannot imagine those bolts not sheering causing damage to a 7000 - 8000 LB truck stuck in the mud...even buried above the axles and up to the frame. A big enough tow truck with a duty winch should be able to pull out a Class 2 or 3 truck from the mud in virtually any situation. Maybe there are variables I am not considering???

Last edited:
Reviving this post: Has anyone installed these? if so, how easy is it?

7CE8FD3D-BD1A-43D7-8CEA-96A86341172D.jpeg

They install just like the regular ones. Factor in about 45 minutes total. I’ve had my front bumper and tow hooks off a couple times, super easy job. fyi your black tow hooks will sell on eBay for around $100. I bought a set to replace my chrome ones.

Wow, Ford's offering red hooks now? That's cool. I think I paid $50 on CL for a used pair and another $75 for powder coat.

I just want the factory black ones from the BAP

I have to find a part number for those

I just want the factory black ones from the BAP

I have to find a part number for those
I have a set I'd sell ya for $80 shipped

They install just like the regular ones. Factor in about 45 minutes total. I’ve had my front bumper and tow hooks off a couple times, super easy job. fyi your black tow hooks will sell on eBay for around $100. I bought a set to replace my chrome ones.
Unless you have the winch then you’re screwed lol, gonna try and paint mine in place this summer

Unless you have the winch then you’re screwed lol, gonna try and paint mine in place this summer
I would see if someone around you does powder coating.

Wow, Ford's offering red hooks now? That's cool. I think I paid $50 on CL for a used pair and another $75 for powder coat.
That is not a Ford part number. They have lots of aftermarket on their site.

Back