Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘21 Tremor Lariat
Current Ride #2
'21 Expedition Limited
First Responder
ER Doc
I decided my buddies Chevrolet Trail Boss’ red tow hooks looked awesome, and I needed to make the mod. My first thought was to take them off and have them powder coated. It’s next to impossible to remove them. The plastic covers have 3 clips that pop right out. Just pull straight out, One side at a time. But the tow hooks, are bolted and welded into place. The only way that I knew to take them off would be to take off the entire front bumper. I was not willing to do that. If you takeoff the plastic covers and do a very Thorough job of taping off the edges and surrounding bumper, you can paint them on the truck. One word of caution, let the Paint dry for at least 48 hours before you put the plastic covers back on. That’s what I did, lightly sanded, taped it off, And a little bit of rust oleum red rattle can. Yes I was super nervous about taking a rattle can of paint To a $75,000 truck!!!!
I’m happy with the turnout.

Attachments

• AA27A3A4-9760-4967-9388-D55B02D617D2.jpeg
    AA27A3A4-9760-4967-9388-D55B02D617D2.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 1,076
  • AD24FE7E-7B5B-4C90-B643-30B446A7F06C.jpeg
    AD24FE7E-7B5B-4C90-B643-30B446A7F06C.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 976
I'll have to do this mod. I tried to use my factory black tow hooks this winter and they wouldn't work because they aren't red. total fail by ford. this should be done at the factory. what's the point of having tow hooks if you can't use them. :p

I decided my buddies Chevrolet Trail Boss’ red tow hooks looked awesome, and I needed to make the mod. My first thought was to take them off and have them powder coated. It’s next to impossible to remove them. The plastic covers have 3 clips that pop right out. Just pull straight out, One side at a time. But the tow hooks, are bolted and welded into place. The only way that I knew to take them off would be to take off the entire front bumper. I was not willing to do that. If you takeoff the plastic covers and do a very Thorough job of taping off the edges and surrounding bumper, you can paint them on the truck. One word of caution, let the Paint dry for at least 48 hours before you put the plastic covers back on. That’s what I did, lightly sanded, taped it off, And a little bit of rust oleum red rattle can. Yes I was super nervous about taking a rattle can of paint To a $75,000 truck!!!!

Godzilla green.png

Ya know, I guess I learned my lesson. I made a modification to my truck that I liked and thought I’d share the story and result in case anyone else was considering it. Y’all actually take the time to post that you think it was a bad idea? A fail? A GM color? That’s fine, no problem- don’t do it to yours! Wanna color yours pink with glitter? You can, it’s YOUR truck! This one is mine. I worked hard and was blessed to be able to buy it. Now I’ve made a change to it and I’m happy with the result. See how that works? I didn’t have to make a feeble attempt at putting someone down to feel good about myself. Goodness fellas.

Ya know, I guess I learned my lesson. I made a modification to my truck that I liked and thought I’d share the story and result in case anyone else was considering it. Y’all actually take the time to post that you think it was a bad idea? A fail? A GM color? That’s fine, no problem- don’t do it to yours! Wanna color yours pink with glitter? You can, it’s YOUR truck! This one is mine. I worked hard and was blessed to be able to buy it. Now I’ve made a change to it and I’m happy with the result. See how that works? I didn’t have to make a feeble attempt at putting someone down to feel good about myself. Goodness fellas.
Dude. We’re just taking the piss. Don’t take it so personal. We’re not trying to put anyone down. Just having a little fun. Yeah man it’s your truck so who gives a rats what anyone else thinks. We’re all here to share, learn, and maybe even laugh a little. Same team brother. ??

Dude. We’re just taking the piss. Don’t take it so personal. We’re not trying to put anyone down. Just having a little fun. Yeah man it’s your truck so who gives a rats what anyone else thinks. We’re all here to share, learn, and maybe even laugh a little. Same team brother. ??
Same team!

I like it as well! Can see it not being for everyone, but adds some cool flair to the front of the truck!

Honestly something I’ve thought about for when I get my truck. Figure the red tow hooks would complement the Rapid Red body color I’m getting.

Looks good ??

I like Red. I like it a whole lot better than Orange. At a recent press release, Ford was showing off a few new Broncos. One had Orange Hooks. Ford, I'm telling you .. don't use Orange, or any colors in the Rainbow .. I swear, I'll buy something else.

Last edited:
I did the red as it is my favorite color and all and your truck looks great!. I have a black truck and it is definitely accented with red. Mostly on the interior stuff but ya know. I'm going to black out or paint my hooks red...decisions.

Latest Discussions

Back