Torsion Hitch

TxTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Hey guys,

I am looking at either the GenY torsion hitch or the Curt Rebellion hitch, anyone have experience with either of these hitches? Thoughts, worth the extra money? I currently have a WeighSafe hitch, it works great, but have a longer distance trip out to lake havasu (700ish miles) this summer so I was looking for something that might be smoother for the long trip. The tongue weight has consistently been around 600 lbs or so, the boat and trailer probable around 6,000 lbs (just depends on fuel load pretty much). I dont have any issues with sway and the truck pulls fine so I dont think I really need a WDH setup but just considering these two hitches if they really do help to smooth out the road on a long distance like this.

Thanks in advance

I have the Gen Y torsion hitch rated for 10K. My Travel trailer has a 600 lb tongue weight. When its connected to the vehicle, the weight indicators on the hitch place it in the middle of its marked min / max load range. Make sure your tongue weight is appropriate for the load rating of the receiver. If you go too heavy on the receiver, you won't get the articulation necessary to smooth out any hits between the truck and trailer.

So far I love it! Really softens hits and quiets the connection with the TT.

I have the GenY torsion hitch rated for 10k lbs and use it for my 7500-8000 lb camper. I really like it and there was definitely a noticeable difference with and without it on rough roads or when going over a bridge expansion joint.

Good to hear guys, thanks. If I go with the GenY I plan to get the 10k hitch with 7.5" drop. Right now my weighsafe show 600-700lbs tongue weigh depending on fuel and gear with the boat. I was a little worried being on the low side of the 400-1100 lb weight GenY suggests but 600lbs should still be enough to activate the torsion hitch.

I have the GenY torsion hitch rated for 10k lbs and use it for my 7500-8000 lb camper. I really like it and there was definitely a noticeable difference with and without it on rough roads or when going over a bridge expansion joint.
I have the Gen Y torsion hitch rated for 10K. My Travel trailer has a 600 lb tongue weight. When its connected to the vehicle, the weight indicators on the hitch place it in the middle of its marked min / max load range. Make sure your tongue weight is appropriate for the load rating of the receiver. If you go too heavy on the receiver, you won't get the articulation necessary to smooth out any hits between the truck and trailer.

So far I love it! Really softens hits and quiets the connection with the TT.
GenY claims added fuel mileage with their hitch, any chance you guys noticed anything like that?

The GenY looks fantastic but their only 3" shank model appropriate for my F350 is the 21K model which my puny 10K TT probably won't activate. I really don't want to use a sloppy hitch reducer to get down to a 2.5" model but that appears inevitable.

GenY claims added fuel mileage with their hitch, any chance you guys noticed anything like that?
Sounds like a bit of marketing snake oil. I hadn't noticed a difference.

Are you using just the Torsion hitch or are you also using a weight distribution hitch as well? We just ordered a TT and its GVWR is 7,600lbs and am trying to decide on the best route to go.
I‘ve currently got a 3” B&W TriBall setup that I like, but like the idea of softening the ride of both truck and trailer and if a weight distribution hitch is a must-have then I’m going to have to replace the B&W anyway,

The GenY looks fantastic but their only 3" shank model appropriate for my F350 is the 21K model which my puny 10K TT probably won't activate. I really don't want to use a sloppy hitch reducer to get down to a 2.5" model but that appears inevitabl
I would definitely use the reducer and go with the lighter rating.

I would definitely use the reducer and go with the lighter rating.
All I’ve seen and read has made it clear that it‘s important to size the hitch right for it to function properly, which makes sense when you see how it operates. I did see on some other forums where people were able to contact the manufacturer and have them build them a 3” version of the 10k units. If I opt to go for the Gen-Y I’m going to try and swing that.

Are you using just the Torsion hitch or are you also using a weight distribution hitch as well? We just ordered a TT and its GVWR is 7,600lbs and am trying to decide on the best route to go.
I‘ve currently got a 3” B&W TriBall setup that I like, but like the idea of softening the ride of both truck and trailer and if a weight distribution hitch is a must-have then I’m going to have to replace the B&W anyway,
I have the standard GenY Boss Torsion Hitch 10k

And I added the weight distribution shank which fits into the Boss hitch.

All I’ve seen and read has made it clear that it‘s important to size the hitch right for it to function properly, which makes sense when you see how it operates. I did see on some other forums where people were able to contact the manufacturer and have them build them a 3” version of the 10k units. If I opt to go for the Gen-Y I’m going to try and swing that.
If you call Gen Y and order it through them, they will weld on the sleeve(s) and powder coat it. it was only $50 for them to do it.

Thanks

That’s a good deal! I can’t see parting with my Equalizer though. With the Tremor it hardly porpoises at all now and I do believe it offers more sway protection than the Gen Y would. Plus it’s paid for.

That’s a good deal! I can’t see parting with my Equalizer though. With the Tremor it hardly porpoises at all now and I do believe it offers more sway protection than the Gen Y would. Plus it’s paid for.
The GenY helps with impact/shock transferred through the hitch … either to the TT or the tow vehicle. It doesn’t have any sway or weight distribution features of its own. They do offer products that allow for a weight distribution hitch to be added so you get all of the features meantioned above.

So in your case, if you wanted to, you’d buy the GenY torsion hitch that is setup to accept a WD head and use the head from your Equalizer. It would also likely add a bit of length to the overall setup, and weight.

Yeah but my ORV has a great suspension so the Equalizer will continue to do fine. The F150 5.5' bed was just too short and wimpy. It takes another minute or two to hook up the Equalizer because of the bars but I can live with that.

Yeah but my ORV has a great suspension so the Equalizer will continue to do fine. The F150 5.5' bed was just too short and wimpy. It takes another minute or two to hook up the Equalizer because of the bars but I can live with that.
which rating equalizer are you using? RV shop is trying to set me up with a 10k / 1k lb TW for a 23DBS. Most people I see have a TW around 1200-1300lb it seems with this trailer.

That might be OK but it's too low IMHO.
I have the 1200. While it's not good to go too big
having a little margin is good in my book.
I would call or email Equalizer.
Are you using adapters for the 2" shank?

"Are you using adapters for the 2" shank?"

Missed this as we were on a 3 week Tour de Rockies and often had spotty, at best, internet.

I've been using two reducers and I'm not a happy camper. I do like the Equalizer but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Gen Y 10K with a 3" shank because I think the Equalizer sway arms are unnecessary with the F350. I might sing a different tune if I get the Gen Y in a strong crosswind but I think not. The only negative of the Gen Y is that it is 20 lbs heavier than the Equalizer but I won't have the sway bars to mess with, which my tongue motor will appreciate, and I could just leave it on.

Back