Torque Converter not disengaging?

hedge

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor KR 7.3
A few times I've experienced an issue where the truck doesn't want to stay stopped at a stop sign/light. I really need to hold the brake or it wants to go. Doesn't do it all the time, it's only happened a few times. I have less than 1000km on the truck. It's the 7.3 gas engine.

Is this the torque converter not disengaging or something in the transmission? anyone else had this happen?

A few times I've experienced an issue where the truck doesn't want to stay stopped at a stop sign/light. I really need to hold the brake or it wants to go. Doesn't do it all the time, it's only happened a few times. I have less than 1000km on the truck. It's the 7.3 gas engine.

Is this the torque converter not disengaging or something in the transmission? anyone else had this happen?
I have similar experiences but haven’t thought much about it yet. Truck seems to have a ton of torque going for itself, always need to push the brake quite a bit to hold it. Other example being when you put it into gear... if not pushing hard on break, it’ll lurch.

EDIT: Other than having to more passionately engage the brake in any of those circumstances, I thought this was normal for a truck this weight/size/power. Is it not?

There is a torque converter recall out for the 2020. The symptoms sound like what your complaining about. I believe there is a thread on this.

There is a torque converter recall out for the 2020. The symptoms sound like what your complaining about. I believe there is a thread on this.
I saw the thread and there’s a lot of complaint about grinding noises et cetera. However, I think this might be a bit different.

also, the recall is specific to Diesel super duty.

What recall? For all 2020's? Solid documentation would be nice

I'm familiar that there was a Ford recall on a few transmission from earlier 2020 build dates. There's been a lot of traffic on this forum regarding transmission issues i.e. the scraping noise under load like while at a stop light, in D or R. The lurching, or more brake needed etc.

Some dealers are dealing with it for some folks even if not on the VIN recall site, but some are not. So the more solid info we can accumulate the better it helps us all

I also just looked around in the manual to see if they might mention anything about this. It does say in there that you should “fully depress” the brake pedal when using the gear lever. I think that’s just for an abundance of caution but it does give a bit of credibility that a bit of lurching isn’t too bad when not depressing the pedal properly.

What recall? For all 2020's? Solid documentation would be nice
That recall is specific to diesel super duty’s and only to 13 vehicles. @Iron Man ’s thread on transmission problems has the pdf copy of the recall in it. That’s the one you’re talking about, @Grabber ?

That recall is specific to diesel super duty’s and only to 13 vehicles. @Iron Man ’s thread on transmission problems has the pdf copy of the recall in it. That’s the one you’re talking about, @Grabber ?
Ok thanks, I'm familiar with that recall. But I'm doubting it's only 13 vehicles, nor is it restricted to just diesels IMO. My 7.3 has the scraping noise, my dealer listened to it and first words were flex plate. Still working on resolution or whether or not that noise is a problem. There's that video on this forum from Anthony Vasquez on Youtube. That's what I've got going on. Is it a problem? He said his dealer was finally working on it.

Ok thanks, I'm familiar with that recall. But I'm doubting it's only 13 vehicles, nor is it restricted to just diesels IMO. My 7.3 has the scraping noise, my dealer listened to it and first words were flex plate. Still working on resolution or whether or not that noise is a problem. There's that video on this forum from Anthony Vasquez on Youtube. That's what I've got going on. Is it a problem? He said his dealer was finally working on it.
I agree with you. If I had “that” noise going on, then I’d raise all hell with my dealer on a new truck. For me personally, I think I’ll just have to get used to the level of torque the truck has at a stop sign or when putting into gear. I have no other complaints other than the lurching and torque. But based on what folks are saying, it could be that even in my mild case it’s an expression of a torque converter issue.
Lucky us, my neighbor was one of the senior engineers on the design of the torqshift 10r140 and torque converters on those torqshift transmissions. I will ask him what he thinks about this and if it’s a broader issue. Will revert back here.

I agree with you. If I had “that” noise going on, then I’d raise all hell with my dealer on a new truck. For me personally, I think I’ll just have to get used to the level of torque the truck has at a stop sign or when putting into gear. I have no other complaints other than the lurching and torque. But based on what folks are saying, it could be that even in my mild case it’s an expression of a torque converter issue.
Lucky us, my neighbor was one of the senior engineers on the design of the torqshift 10r140 and torque converters on those torqshift transmissions. I will ask him what he thinks about this and if it’s a broader issue. Will revert back here.
You've got my attention! Good to know a senior engineer!

I also posted on another forum and apparently it's not the Torque Converter as if it wasn't disengaging the truck would be stalling (I'm not much of a mechanic)

To add a bit of context, this is my 4th superduty. The other 3 had diesel engines so this is the first gas but I never experienced this with the other trucks and the diesels have more torque than this gas engine.

That was the one I was talking about. I did not notice that it only applied to diesels (my bad), however the symptoms of the recall, sound just like what Hedge is describing. Makes me wonder if they are having a bigger problem with torque converters

Following

So my truck needs a new torque converter which my dealer says is on backorder from Ford. He put it on an "emergency" order, whatever that means.

So now I'm without the truck for who knows how long:mad:

Mine does a similar thing when i shift from R to D or D to R. Yes I stop completely. But when It engages new gear it jerks in that direction

Mine is doing that too. Gonna wait to see if it gets worse before I take it in

I've noticed some weird action while driving where I feel like the transmission isn't shifting right. Example is going for 75 down to stop and go traffic the truck will sometimes get "stuck in a gear" and bee super lethargic then become super torquey and go back and forth between the two states. Other times it drives completely normal.

@Dissident i noticed that while it was cold yesterday. it ran for 20 min before I stared my drive. (central northern NY) and around 20 and 45 it seemed to do the same thing

I also experience the jerk when putting into drive or reverse, makes for a stressful experience whenever I'm trying to park it in a tight space, like my garage. Its definitely worse when the truck is cold and is idling high, feels like it wants to launch if you don't hold the brake tight....

Otherwise, I don't hear any grinding or other noises that people have reported.

Got my truck back! Went in to the shop Dec 14, 2020, just picked it up today. The torque converter finally showed up

Back