Torn between spacer vs. coil level

Robert357

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F-250 Tremor 7.3
Current Ride #2
21 F-250 King Ranch 6.7
I’m really torn between using 2 1/2 inch spacers or getting entirely new coil springs to raise the front end 2 1/2 inches. I’m not overly concerned about price as it seems that the difference is minimal.

I’ve seen good reviews for both but I truly am confused on which route to go. For reference, I have been looking at the PMF spacer kit with tuned king shocks or any number of coil systems that seem to be available.

For anyone that has been in the same position, can you please tell me the pros and cons to each route and perhaps which one you chose? As always, thank you very much for your thoughts and opinions as I truly value them all.

You did not mention Carli, but they are one of the best options for leveling our trucks. They have different shock choices, rear leaf options and all kinds of extras to choose from. Their simplest system is just a level kit without rear shocks or any of the extras.

Carli Suspension - Diesel

You did not say if your truck is a gasser or a diesel, but they have kits for both since the weight on the front is a lot different between the two.

Reactions: ccw
I’m really torn between using 2 1/2 inch spacers or getting entirely new coil springs to raise the front end 2 1/2 inches. I’m not overly concerned about price as it seems that the difference is minimal.

I’ve seen good reviews for both but I truly am confused on which route to go. For reference, I have been looking at the PMF spacer kit with tuned king shocks or any number of coil systems that seem to be available.

For anyone that has been in the same position, can you please tell me the pros and cons to each route and perhaps which one you chose? As always, thank you very much for your thoughts and opinions as I truly value them all.
Spacer lift with no new shocks will ride just as the truck does now (for the most part)
Adding tuned shocks will improve the ride no matter what you choose. If you buy a spacer and shock combo they should be tuned for the factory springs.
**note** tremor springs are supposed to be a special rate therefore off the shelf Super duty tuned shocks may not be the most optimal. That said they will probably be fine.

A full high quality spring and shock kit from Carli or any other good brand with “improve” the ride, basically most of them shoot for a softer initial rate for better small bump absorption and then stiffen up deeper in the travel for good bottoming resistance. Most of these brands have shocks tuned to work specifically with their systems giving you a well mated system.

If you are happy with the majority of the ride quality you may be happy with just a spacer and shock system. To me most of the harshness comes from the rear of the truck.
I plan later to keep it stock springs and add custom tuned Kings as I can’t lift mine due to height restrictions.

there is more theoretical to this as well more pieces of a system tuned together such as a Carli pintop or a high end BDS system have many components to give a great package.

Spacer lift with no new shocks will ride just as the truck does now (for the most part)
Adding tuned shocks will improve the ride no matter what you choose. If you buy a spacer and shock combo they should be tuned for the factory springs.
**note** tremor springs are supposed to be a special rate therefore off the shelf Super duty tuned shocks may not be the most optimal. That said they will probably be fine.

A full high quality spring and shock kit from Carli or any other good brand with “improve” the ride, basically most of them shoot for a softer initial rate for better small bump absorption and then stiffen up deeper in the travel for good bottoming resistance. Most of these brands have shocks tuned to work specifically with their systems giving you a well mated system.

If you are happy with the majority of the ride quality you may be happy with just a spacer and shock system. To me most of the harshness comes from the rear of the truck.
I plan later to keep it stock springs and add custom tuned Kings as I can’t lift mine due to height restrictions.

there is more theoretical to this as well more pieces of a system tuned together such as a Carli pintop or a high end BDS system have many components to give a great package.

This is great advice! If you like the ride you have now, the spacer and shocks is your cheapest option.

I forgot to mention the rear leaf options. You will need to go with a progressive leaf to get rid of the jarring effect of the factory leafs. Deaver makes a full progressive leaf pack for Carli, but you lose about 25% of your carrying capacity. If you plan to go full progressive, Carli recommends you add airbags to carry heavier loads.

You can also go with Deaver Add-a-Packs which replace your factory blocks for a set of progressive leafs that sit under your factory 1-ton leafs. This option does not reduce your carrying capacity and it greatly reduces axle wrap when towing. The ride is less jarring when empty and they are really beneficial when you are towing to reduce the bounce of heavier TW trailers. I went with the Add-a-Packs and AirLift airbags because I did not want to lose any of my factory carry capacity, yet I want to be able to control the height of the back when carrying heavier loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBA
With the Carli Springs, remember you’re only getting an 1.5” lift. With a spacer you’re literally getting 2 1/2 inches.

You did not mention Carli, but they are one of the best options for leveling our trucks. They have different shock choices, rear leaf options and all kinds of extras to choose from. Their simplest system is just a level kit without rear shocks or any of the extras.

Carli Suspension - Diesel

You did not say if your truck is a gasser or a diesel, but they have kits for both since the weight on the front is a lot different between the two.
I’m sorry, it’s the 7.3 gasser.

Last edited:

This is great info, thank you. I may do the spacer and then work with the back springs to soften the back ride and eliminate any axle wrap when towing. I hope this is the right route.

I hate to say it but I’m also basing this decision on availability as most of the coil lifts with shock packages seem to be back ordered much longer than a PMF spacer lift with shock package.

With the Carli Springs, remember you’re only getting an 1.5” lift. With a spacer you’re literally getting 2 1/2 inches.
Can you elaborate on this? I’m confused as to why this is the case.
And on that note, what size spacer would be needed to bring the front end up but still leave a slight rake?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on this? I’m confused as to why this is the case.
And on that note, what size spacer would be needed to bring the front end up but still leave a slight rake?
The carli systems are for all superduties. So they are rated on that lift height. The tremor is taller netting you only 1.5” of lift. If you use the typically 2.5” spacer you’ll be adding that to the tremor lift height.

The carli systems are for all superduties. So they are rated on that lift height. The tremor is taller netting you only 1.5” of lift. If you use the typically 2.5” spacer you’ll be adding that to the tremor lift height.

Got it, thank you sir

Got it, thank you sir

Gingersnap is correct. The Carli front lift is a replacement coil spring that you put in place of the factory coil spring. Since the Tremor coil springs are taller than the ones for a normal SD, the amount of lift is less. However, the height "after" a Carli lift is the same across all of the super duties. This means you can still run 37s with the smaller amount of lift because, if the tires will fit on a normal SD with the Carli coils, they will also fit on our Tremor. The spacer leaves the coils in place and the amount of lift is always the same making the Tremor final height higher.

In the back, you have a similar situation. The Deaver progressive leafs and Add-a-Packs Carli sells are designed for a Ford SD. The Tremor has a taller rear block than a normal SD. When you remove the block for the Deaver leafs, the final lift on our truck is smaller, but finishes out at the same height as a normal SD with the same leaf pack.

Most people want some kind of rake for towing purposes, so a perfectly level SD when empty is not a good idea unless you do not plan to tow. Even with our 1-ton leafs, the rear will still squat and the truck will look nose high when towing anything over 500-700 lbs of TW. My TT has a 1000 lb TW and with 300 lbs of gear in the truck bed, my truck squatted more then 2". A WDH will help with the squat or you can do airbags. They each have pluses and minuses based on where your load is located, but I am going to do a combination of both for my towing needs.

I started off thinking spacers then I changed and now am infatuated with Carli.
So here’s a question for you, I ordered the PMF spacers but with Carly 2.5 custom tuned reservoir shocks. If I decide that I do not care for the spacers and want to move to the Carli coils, am I able to do so without changing anything else or did I waste all of my money on the shocks?

So here’s a question for you, I ordered the PMF spacers but with Carly 2.5 custom tuned reservoir shocks. If I decide that I do not care for the spacers and want to move to the Carli coils, am I able to do so without changing anything else or did I waste all of my money on the shocks?
I don’t know for sure but I’d guess the shocks would be fine and could be used with replacement coils.

I’m gonna get clear of income tax season then order my Carli kit if I can afford it.

Call CJC and tell them what you want to do. I am sure they will sell you just the parts you need to replace the spacers with front coils.

Back