Torn between lariat or xlt

Only 2 things I’m disappointed with in xlt trim is lack of leather steering wheel and the speakers are really pathetic. My truck was 70k it should come with decent speakers.

I opted to upgrade to the Lariat. It cost me $2,500 over a similarly equipped XLT. I'm glad I did it, and would do it again. If you are comparing trucks on a lot the price difference is likely $10,000 more. It appears most stock orders include the Ultimate, sunroof, Ultimate trailer camera system that adds money quickly.

In my research, it appears upgrading to the lariat will also yield me significantly more resale value than the XLT would. I pound quite a few miles and will likely be upgrading again in 2-3 years so resale is important to me.

it appears upgrading to the lariat will also yield me significantly more resale value than the XLT would.
I believe you are correct. I've been offered stupid money by CarMax and Ford for my '16 F150 Lariat. Granted, it is a really low mileage garage queen and in perfect condition but I believe the Lariat trim is also a big reason.

3 things really pushed me to a Lariat:

1. Leather. I’m sorry but I think it’s insane to put fabric in a truck. I’ve had it a few weeks, used it fairly lightly so far, and already my micro fibers are brown after cleaning the seats. I don’t know how you keep fabric truly clean. Gross. I would trade just about every other feature in this truck for leather if I had to choose.

2. The full view digital dash screen. The XLT dash with the little square LCD in the center looks like it’s 20 years old. They should have just kept it entirely analog. I’d be fine with that. If I was looking at this truck used in 5 years this would make me buy a lariat or a stripped down for work XL. I don’t think the XLT will hold its value as well as the other trims thanks to Ford’s value engineering. Short term thinking.

3. The audio system. This wasn’t a big deal to me but the any speakers but the B&O are shockingly bad for such an expensive vehicle. A matter of principle more so than necessity, but still.

And then ultimately the Tremor XLT’s I was finding in inventory were within a few thousand of Lariat Ultimate’s I was finding in inventory.

So the math on a well equipped XLT didn’t make sense to me. XLT made more sense of keeping it bare bones.

By contrast, a well equipped Lariat makes much more sense than a Platinum. Where you’re not getting much more for your money as best I could tell.

(Disclaimer: These are all subjective opinions/impressions/instincts. It’s OK if we feel differently.)

The used market is a little crazy right now though. My dealer is selling (asking) sticker price for USED "buybacks" (lemon law buy backs) right now, and their stock is consistantly new so people are buying. I'm waiting to see what they put my trade on the lot for, I'm guessing all of $10,000 more than they gave me, and I think I made out ok.

I opted to upgrade to the Lariat. It cost me $2,500 over a similarly equipped XLT. I'm glad I did it, and would do it again. If you are comparing trucks on a lot the price difference is likely $10,000 more. It appears most stock orders include the Ultimate, sunroof, Ultimate trailer camera system that adds money quickly.

In my research, it appears upgrading to the lariat will also yield me significantly more resale value than the XLT would. I pound quite a few miles and will likely be upgrading again in 2-3 years so resale is important to me.
You said it better than me while I was penning my post.

I should note I lucked out here by finding a Lariat Ultimate in inventory without the moonroof and other nice-to-haves. Sticker was 66k. The way I was planning on ordering one, sticker was 83k. ?‍♂️

The one custom option I’m really missing is the carpet delete. For same reason as leather seats, I don’t understand why fabrics on the floor is standard in Ford trucks. ?

3 things really pushed me to a Lariat:

1. Leather. I’m sorry but I think it’s insane to put fabric in a truck. I’ve had it a few weeks, used it fairly lightly so far, and already my micro fibers are brown after cleaning the seats. I don’t know how you keep fabric truly clean. Gross. I would trade just about every other feature in this truck for leather if I had to choose.

2. The full view digital dash screen. The XLT dash with the little square LCD in the center looks like it’s 20 years old. They should have just kept it entirely analog. I’d be fine with that. If I was looking at this truck used in 5 years this would make me buy a lariat or a stripped down for work XL. I don’t think the XLT will hold its value as well as the other trims thanks to Ford’s value engineering. Short term thinking.

3. The audio system. This wasn’t a big deal to me but the any speakers but the B&O are shockingly bad for such an expensive vehicle. A matter of principle more so than necessity, but still.

And then ultimately the Tremor XLT’s I was finding in inventory were within a few thousand of Lariat Ultimate’s I was finding in inventory.

So the math on a well equipped XLT didn’t make sense to me. XLT made more sense of keeping it bare bones.

By contrast, a well equipped Lariat makes much more sense than a Platinum. Where you’re not getting much more for your money as best I could tell.

(Disclaimer: These are all subjective opinions/impressions/instincts. It’s OK if we feel differently.)

The other thing was the lockable rear under-seat storage box. It’s the handiest damned thing. I’m not sure if this is an option on an XLT but it wasn’t on any I could find on a lot.

Apparently The Queen doesn't ride in yours. ;)

That carpet must make things a wee bit quieter, too?

I would kind of figure that too but people here rave about their “premium vinyl floor covering” so I guess it maybe has the same effect.

Also, my carpet wasn’t particularly quiet when the duratecs are flinging rocks at the body. Wheel liners and mud flaps probably have more effect. Or tires that don’t enjoy throwing rocks as much as these. ?

Yeah I have the loaded xlt. The leather steering wheel should come with the premium package. Don’t understand why it doesn’t
Bought my oem leather steering wheel for $380. Got a quote from dealership for $278 to install it. Then I watched a YouTube video on how to install. Ridiculously easy, took me 25min..

Right now I have a xlt premium with leather heated and cooled seats and really has all I want or need but LED headlights and dual zone ac would be nice to have. The hard part is dropping another ten grand or so and not that I can’t afford it but it just the fact of paying that much is what is hoping me back
Those that have had a xlt and went to a lariat have you wished you would have just stayed with a xlt and saved the money for other mods ?
My last two F-150’s were XLT’s with that hard fabric. Now that I’m towing a travel trailer, I bumped up to a Latiat with my Tremor. I enjoy the comfort of the leather in other trucks so I got it myself the lariat and will enjoy all the little convinces that come with lariat. I ordered a 2022 so I’m waiting for the real test. The wife HATED the fabric in the XLT’s.

My last two F-150’s were XLT’s with that hard fabric. Now that I’m towing a travel trailer, I bumped up to a Latiat with my Tremor. I enjoy the comfort of the leather in other trucks so I got it myself the lariat and will enjoy all the little convinces that come with lariat. I ordered a 2022 so I’m waiting for the real test. The wife HATED the fabric in the XLT’s.
I basically would have liked a lariat tremor 7.3 but the 21 builds were closed and at least august to get 22 in so I just went with the xlt 6.7 on the lot. I’m happy with the purchase but I had no idea how cheesy the xlt speakers are. I told my wife they spent $19 on speakers in a 70k truck. I do have cloth heated seats that are comfortable but Ford should put leather steering wheel on a premium package upgrade. Those are my only 2 complaints so far

I basically would have liked a lariat tremor 7.3 but the 21 builds were closed and at least august to get 22 in so I just went with the xlt 6.7 on the lot. I’m happy with the purchase but I had no idea how cheesy the xlt speakers are. I told my wife they spent $19 on speakers in a 70k truck. I do have cloth heated seats that are comfortable but Ford should put leather steering wheel on a premium package upgrade. Those are my only 2 complaints so far
That’s awesome. At least you can upgrade speakers and as long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters. I’m happy your sitting in one right now. I got the 2022 F250 Tremor Lariat and am just waiting now. Congratulations on the truck man.

My speakers in my 17' XLT were surprisingly good. With all the complaints I've read on here about them I wonder if the previous owner swapped them out. I should have popped a door panel off before trading it in...

I was second guessing myself on the Lariat vs. XLT (felt guilty for spending any amount more than I absolutely needed to on a truck of all things), but it took all of 48 hours before I smeared black ball grease from my hitch on my seats. Wiped right off the black leather. So it didn't take long for that upgrade to pay for itself in blood pressure. ?

The used market is a little crazy right now though. My dealer is selling (asking) sticker price for USED "buybacks" (lemon law buy backs) right now, and their stock is consistantly new so people are buying. I'm waiting to see what they put my trade on the lot for, I'm guessing all of $10,000 more than they gave me, and I think I made out ok.

Scratch that, they have my trade listed for $12,000 more than they gave me for it!!

They gave me 23k and had it sold for 29500 6 days later. So the 5k they gave me off sticker they quickly made back
Never seen market like this before in my life. I bought my 2018 Ford new, traded in a truck with hail so I rolled a couple grand negative equity, and put no money down. I did get the truck for a good initial cost as Ford was giving 8k off at the time because 2019 were just hitting the showroom floor. That said in a normal market at this point in time I should be upside down bad in my loan. I sold my 2018 for $2600 more than what I owed!!! It was on Craigslist for 3 days.

That’s awesome. At least you can upgrade speakers and as long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters. I’m happy your sitting in one right now. I got the 2022 F250 Tremor Lariat and am just waiting now. Congratulations on the truck man.
Thanks man. I hope yours is everything you hoped for. I’m sure you’ll love it and definitely worth the wait

Back