Tire chains on stock tires?

DarinH

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'21 Tremor 7.3
SORRY IN ADVANCE IF THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED TO DEATH, BUT.....😬

I have a '21 Tremor with the original wheels and tires. The owners manual says not to put chains on size LT285 75 R18 tires, which is what they are. Can anyone tell me why Ford doesn't want you to use chains? Will it hurt anything if I put some on? I'm going to be in some mud and snow, hunting at around 9000 ft elevation in Colorado soon. I want to be prepared.

Interested too…
I heard that also, I just picked up my chains because we need them to go skiing when a big storm hits. I test fit them & looks like more than enough clearance…

Sounds like chains on the front could rub at full lock. I have a heavy set of chains that I made for my 18 dmax and I'm hoping they will fit the tremor when she arrives next month. If cross links are too big I'll just buy a smaller lass aggressive set for the front, if I have to do a little trimming it's no big deal.

Yes it's most likely a result of limited clearances up front. If you put on chains, just be aware that you likely won't be able to turn full lock without the chains rubbing.

The other night I got a chance to do some measurements with my truck. Truck was just in my driveway, not up on a curb or anything so compression could change these. I also didn't have anyone else with me so I couldn't have the wheel turned to full lock (it rebounds back a bit when you let off the wheel). The tightest measurement was roughly 1.5" between the tire and the mud flap. Other places were around 2" (to the radius arm and the coil spring).

There's also this extensive thread on chains, where people have fit some different options, though no one has reported back on actually driving around with them on:

Me mum always told me to never run with a sharpened pencil.
Pretty sure she consulted Ford's liability lawyers.
So if I'm getting this analogy, stay away from v-bars since they're sharp, but anything else is fair game? :p

Latest Discussions

Back