Tie Rod Looks Vulnerable to Damage

John

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Ford F-350 Tremor
My wife and I have a ranch and run cattle at 9700 feet in Colorado. Currently have a 12 year old Power Wagon that we are keeping for excellent traction and lighter towing. But, does not have enough tow capacity for some of our needs (stock trailers, towing tractors etc.) Just ordered a F350 Diesel Tremor for increased towing capacity and favorable 4 wheel drive system for our needs. But, the tie rod seems very vulnerable up front. Does anyone think it could be flipped over or modified in some way? Can you think of a skid plate solution to protect it? I worry that the big rocks and the compressed snow/ice we deal with for part of the year are going to damage it easily. We simply may not be able to abuse this vehicle like we do the Power Wagon.

Thanks.

They're pretty solid. I've hit rocks with the tie rod on my old 05 f250 and never had issues. But, I did replace it once the ball joint on the rod ends wore out. PMF out of Arizona makes tie rods out of solid bar stock that are heavy and heavy duty and might be an option if you'd like something more substantial. They use Moog greaseable rod ends

I would have to do a lot of research, measuring and planning for geometry, but on all of my previous solid axle rigs (Jeeps, Rock Crawler Buggies and Land Cruisers), I was able to swap the knuckles to the opposite sides to move the tie rod (custom bent to clear the differential) behind the axle, and only have the drag link (if I didn't do full hydraulic steering) in front and relocate the knuckle mount for that up higher. I have no idea if this is possible on the Tremor, It wouldn't be hard to build a skid-plate for the tie rod either. Just kind of ugly, but it would be easy.

Ed

I would have to do a lot of research, measuring and planning for geometry, but on all of my previous solid axle rigs (Jeeps, Rock Crawler Buggies and Land Cruisers), I was able to swap the knuckles to the opposite sides to move the tie rod (custom bent to clear the differential) behind the axle, and only have the drag link (if I didn't do full hydraulic steering) in front and relocate the knuckle mount for that up higher. I have no idea if this is possible on the Tremor, It wouldn't be hard to build a skid-plate for the tie rod either. Just kind of ugly, but it would be easy.

Ed
Thanks.

Latest Discussions

Back