Thoughts on Adaptive Learning

MrFancypants

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'22 F350 SRW Lariat 4x4 7.3 4.30
So I used FORScan to halt Adaptive Learning back in January. The truck drove great since then, including some towing. Then at the beginning of last week everything went to hell. Hard drop shifts, bump shifting, wacky throttle response -- honestly worse than I can ever remember. I fired up FORScan over the weekend, restarted Adaptive Learning and have a couple of theories about what happened:

1. It seems like something recently wiped out my shift tables and it reverted to the default. Because I had Adaptive Learning halted, it had no ability to overwrite the tables and was basically stuck at the default indefinitely (1 week with multiple restarts). The 4th gear shift in particular was brutal time after time. I was worried the transmission was failing.

2. When I drove the truck after resuming Adaptive Learning, it felt like the crappy shifting continued until the next time the truck was started. With each successive restart, the shifting got a little better and after about 4-5 restarts it was driving great. This makes me think that Adaptive Learning doesn't do anything other than listen and learn while the truck is being driven, and adjustments to the shift tables are only applied after a restart.

3. My previous theory of halting Adaptive Learning works fine until it doesn't. I don't know what reset the shift tables but it was pretty dramatic how the truck went from driving great to driving like ass. It could have been an OTA update, or some other corruption in the shift tables that caused it to reset. There were no DTC's when I connected FORScan, though. It seems possible with the multiple updates I have received over the past few weeks that Ford pushed out a transmission update, either intentionally resetting the shift tables or unintentionally corrupting them, forcing a reset to default settings.

4. While poking around in FORScan I did see a service procedure to change the shift strategy. It didn't look very useful if you don't have a table of shift strategies by number, which only Ford must have. It sure would be nice if someone had the inside scoop on this setting.

Its unfortunate but the 10 spd behind the super duty just sucks in my opinion. The last ECM / TCM recall has improved it the most, however it seems that the transmission just forgets how to downshift between 5,4,3 as you slow randomly. Somedays it is perfect, other days it feels I just got rear ended. It also makes the 6.7 feel like a dog at speeds between 0 and like 45 mph. My '15 6.7l had a competely smooth powertrain and was definitely quicker. My Tremor does the job and is nicer in a lot of ways, however it is just not as fun to drive as my '15 was.

I wish people were closer to where i live. I'd love to ride along to see all these "problems" myself.
Sure, it's not 100% perfect as one may like for a 10spd. I can say this....what you like, you like. What I like, I like. These could be two WAY different driving styles/shifting of the 10spd.

I will say for me there's always the driver input that's part of the situation, as well as the driving conditions. Add to that when you make any significant motor mods. I can say the 6.7L loves airflow, at best the OEM plumbing IS NOT helping. Open up the airflow...WOW...it's a different drive.

The only harsh downshift I got is occasionally if I have the engine brake on it clunks going from 3 to 2 or 3 to 1.

Out driving today reminded me of a thing. For diesel trucks these motors love to be pushed on take off. Like over 1500RPMs if not more like over 2kRPMs. Just hit that pedal to let the whole thing work like it should.

Well this is the third time I have reset the Adaptive learning. I did it 4 days ago and today I went with the Stop adaptive learning option. I am hoping this works for longer than the Halt option. If not I plan on a 5 star tune for the tranny.

While poking around in FORScan I did see a service procedure to change the shift strategy. It didn't look very useful if you don't have a table of shift strategies by number, which only Ford must have. It sure would be nice if someone had the inside scoop on this setting.
I'd love to find that spreadsheet! I don't hate the 10spd at all but the 7.3's down shift from 8 to 6 under load in tow haul with cruise on is just unnecessary.

6R140 conversion would be lovely. Should be doable but will need custom tuning.

Read this post earlier at the office... then on the way home tried to stop at a store, came to a complete stop for traffic, then go to turn in and truck acted like it was in neutral... just revved for a second or two like I was screwed in the middle of the lane... until it randomly jumped into 1st with the RPM's still up. Tires squealed and truck bucked like it was trying to break teeth off gears somewhere inside itself.

Haven't liked this tranny because of it's tendency to fall flat on its face when slowing to turn and then trying to accelerate, but this one was just weird.

Unrelated to your experience, but had to vent....

Back