This Is A Little Disturbing To Me

Busa Dave

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor
This has been my go-to Dealer for years and I just got this email. Do not really know what to think about this. Everything is by appointment now including basic maintenance. Is this the new trend?

Thoughts?

"

Beginning July 1st, we'll be making a few changes in our Service Department.

The first change is the hours our Service Department will be open on Saturdays. Beginning Saturdy, July 2nd, our Service Department will be open from 7AM to 4PM on Saturdays. We've had several customers arriving on Saturdays before we open, so we're making this adjustment to better serve you. Our hours for Monday - Friday will remain 7AM - 7PM.

The second change is a very big one, so please read carfully.

Beginning July 1st, we are going to a daily APPOINTMENT ONLY system for Oil Changes, Tire Rotations, and Basic Maintenance for your Ford vehicle. This will allow our customers to schedule an appointment and know that you can get in and out in one hour or less. Appointments will be available every 20 minutes.

There are three different options to schedule a service appointment:

1. Go to www.5starford.com and under the 'Parts and Service' tab choose 'Schedule Service'.

2. Using the FordPass app on your phone.

3. Calling one of our Appointment Coordinators at (817) 519-6891

It's that easy!

We look forward to rolling out these improvements to better serve you, and we appreciate your patience during this transition."

Wow. Idk about all Ford dealers but mine has quicklane which literally advertises you will never need an appointment. I thought quick lane was everywhere. My dealer is also open 24 hours though...

Everyone in Southern California I’ve been to (Ford, Chevy, Kia) uses appointments only. But that’s California….🥴

I wouldnt care as long as they stick to their schedule.

I used to just roll up to Discount Tire to get tire rotations. Problem is they wont commit to anything so you are up there maybe 10 minutes maybe 3 hours. So now I make an appointment and I know I will be in and out within about 20 minutes for a simple rotation.

Im sure they had people pissed that rolled up for a "quick" 20 minute oil change at 7am "before the crowds" only to be met by 20 other people who thought the same and then the 2 oil change "guru's" were fucking swamped and people were pissed it took 3 hours to get an oil change.

Around here it is becoming the norm. Some banks, for example, now require appointments for things that used to be walkup items. Doesn't bother me, and I think it helps keeps things efficient for the most part...

My local dealer north of Houston has an appointment system for their service and QuickLane departments. They will take your car without an appointment, but it is much faster if you have one. They send you reminder texts a day before and the day of your appointment, so you do not forget.

I have used their appointment website several times for oil changes and the first time, they called me to say it was done before I even got home, which is only 20 min away. Now, I just wait for it rather than have my wife come pick me up.

EDIT: I also received free pickup and delivery for service two times each year through my FordPass App. I have not used it, but I might try it next time for my wife's Explorer ST. Not sure I want a kid driving my Tremor, but her car is fine.... :cool:

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound disturbing to me. Just a sign of things getting busier around you. Maybe I’m too young for it, but I’ve never had a vehicle serviced without an appointment, even if it is routine.

Particularly in the Seattle area my dealer of choice for servicing is often booked 3-4 weeks out for even an oil change. And yes, they have a QuikLane or whatever it’s called.

My local dealer north of Houston has an appointment system for their service and QuickLane departments. They will take your car without an appointment, but it is much faster if you have one. They send you reminder texts a day before and the day of your appointment, so you do not forget.

I have used their appointment website several times for oil changes and the first time, they called me to say it was done before I even got home, which is only 20 min away. Now, I just wait for it rather than have my wife come pick me up.

EDIT: I also received free pickup and delivery for service two times each year through my FordPass App. I have not used it, but I might try it next time for my wife's Explorer ST. Not sure I want a kid driving my Tremor, but her car is fine.... :cool:
Any chance this is Planet Ford in Spring? If so, have you noticed they load something to your radio so that during commercials on most radio stations it displays "commercial" for Planet Ford on the screen where typically it shows artist/song/station ID?

It's very annoying they loaded or modified my radio but mine has been doing this since the day I took it there and also having weird glitches with the radio since like my steering wheel button to scan presets doesn't work.

Our Volvo dealer for the past 10+ years has been doing maintenance scheduling that way for several years now. Even for an oil change. No more 30min quick changes.

Norm Va Beach. Used it for my F150. Was cheaper for them to change my oil and rotate the tires. Problem was they turned a one hour job into three. I do my own on the Tremor.

Any chance this is Planet Ford in Spring? If so, have you noticed they load something to your radio so that during commercials on most radio stations it displays "commercial" for Planet Ford on the screen where typically it shows artist/song/station ID?

It's very annoying they loaded or modified my radio but mine has been doing this since the day I took it there and also having weird glitches with the radio since like my steering wheel button to scan presets doesn't work.
No, I will never give any business to Randal Reed and his Planet Ford group of dealerships in Houston or Dallas. I am not surprised by their BS service antics, as they are the most unprofessional sales dealerships in the state of Texas. Before the pandemic, they used to have 1000+ F150s and 200-300 SDs on their gigantic lot in Spring. Even with that kind of inventory eating away at their profits, they acted like you were fortunate to have found them, so they could gleefully add every kind of aftermarket item (tint, pinstripes, paint protection, interior protection, Lo-Jacks, alarms, nitrogen in your tires, etc. for 3 to 4X the cost) to each of their cars with their removal being non-negotiable. They even forced you to buy a worthless service plan that was only good at their dealership or they would not sell you the car. After several unpleasant experiences where I walked out, I vowed to never step foot in one of his dealerships again.

But after more thought, I decided I would use them for all of my tire kicking and "test drives", which I did for several years. They always had the colors and trims in stock, so you could see and drive the exact car or truck you wanted. I would waste as much time as I could trying different engines, differential sizes, transmissions, trim packages, etc., before thanking them and buying the vehicle anywhere else.

I was referring to Gullo Ford in Conroe, who has been great during the pandemic. They honored X-Plan pricing, let me use my $1250 PCO and gave me 0% interest for 5 years on a fully-optioned Explorer ST for my wife in Dec 2021. At the time, they had about 20 cars on their lot, which used to have several hundred. Before buying from them, I emailed more than 20 dealers in Texas and not a single one would go below MSRP on an Explorer ST due to "vehicle shortages". Gullo Ford earned my business in a very tough environment by being honest and doing exactly what we agreed to over email. No tricks, not surprises and the final deal was exactly what they said before I came in to buy the car. (which I had previously driven at Planet Ford when they had two in stock) :)

I thought I would prefer making an appointment, but it was still 2 hours to get the 20,000 mile service on my F-150. I need two more service visits to reach Gold level on the Ford Pass Rewards app though. After that, will go to the 10-Minute lube place by my house for both trucks.

No, I will never give any business to Randal Reed and his Planet Ford group of dealerships in Houston or Dallas. I am not surprised by their BS service antics, as they are the most unprofessional sales dealerships in the state of Texas. Before the pandemic, they used to have 1000+ F150s and 200-300 SDs on their gigantic lot in Spring. Even with that kind of inventory eating away at their profits, they acted like you were fortunate to have found them, so they could gleefully add every kind of aftermarket item (tint, pinstripes, paint protection, interior protection, Lo-Jacks, alarms, nitrogen in your tires, etc. for 3 to 4X the cost) to each of their cars with their removal being non-negotiable. They even forced you to buy a worthless service plan that was only good at their dealership or they would not sell you the car. After several unpleasant experiences where I walked out, I vowed to never step foot in one of his dealerships again.

I've heard many similar stories re: Planet Ford but I was kinda backed in a corner and needed and oil change and thought surely there couldn't be any problem with using their Quick Lane for an oil change. Never again.

Taking it in soon to another dealer and will be asking if they can make sure the warranty claim for radio is because Planet Ford's BS.

Only appointments & they say the appointment time is when you have to check in it is NOT the time the tech will work on your vehicle as that is depending on what they are doing

Quick chang oil is the exact same appointments required

I actually wish more Ford dealerships had *real* appointments. It seems everyone in Central Texas will schedule “appointments” for service, but what they really mean is a scheduled time to drop off your vehicle. They say that most times your vehicle will be evaluated within a week of drop off. The repairs/service could take even longer. They work on a queuing system that means you’ll be out of a vehicle for 1, 2, 3 weeks or longer. Worse yet, nobody has any loaner vehicles, and the sales dept can’t offer any new vehicles either (because stock is still so low). It’s a mess… Oh, and even if your repair is covered under warranty, your rental vehicle (if you choose to pay for one) is not usually covered by Ford b/c the actual repair only takes a couple hours even though the dealer is in posession of your vehicle for weeks.

With the shortage of warm, experience, trained bodies willing to work in this society, this will be or is the norm In most all areas of business. I make reservations at restaurants, doctors office. I make appointments for tire rotation and balance at Discount Tire, and at the dealer when I need my vehicles service. The days of casually driving up and having the Les Schwab guy run out to you in the parking lot and handling your needs right then are over. The days of you having a relationship with your dealer or service guy appear to be over too. The nature of things today. We are a society of non-connected individuals whose best friend is their phone.

Every shop/dealer here uses appointments only besides the quicklube places which dont touch diesel trucks. Most are booking several weeks out currently. Been that way for years.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back