(Update) FOR SALE @TheUnpluggedFamily F250 Tremor Overland Build

Jtv107

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘20 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
‘20 Tacoma TRD
Last year, my family traveled across the country, including Canada, in a 2016 Toyota LandCruiser outfitted with an iKamper roof top tent and loved it so much that we've taken the leap to a Ford F250 and slide in camper set up. The new set up will provide additional security for camping in the winter months, during bear season and in more remote locations. As a family that loves to snowboard, the opportunty to camp in colder climates is super exciting to us.

This is our first 3/4 ton pick up truck as well as our first domestic car or truck; its been a steep learning curve. But, help from this forum, @NEO Garage and others has made it easier.

Here's a photo of our LandCruiser set up, which we were sad to sell earlier this year.

LC200.jpg

This is our new (purchased June of this year) magnetic grey, XLT, 7.3L F250 Tremor. We did not pre-order it; it was available on the lot and the dealership sold the truck at a better than x-plan price. Only options were upfitter switches and sunroof.

F250.jpgF250 Front.jpg

We almost immediately upgraded the wheels and tires to MR703s 17x8.5 with 25x12.5 R17 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s, including the spare. When the Carli Back Country 2 1/2" Fox suspension system becomes available early next year for the gas trucks, we plan to upgrade the suspension and move up to 37s.

17x8.5 MR703.jpg

We removed the Tremor running boards in favor of the longer N-Fab steps to provide easier access to the bed side. We also replaced the chrome factory tow hooks with red powdercoated tow hooks on the way to deleting all the XLT factory chrome. (Its also shocking to see how much bigger the F250 is compared to our '20 Tacoma with a King medium travel lift kit.)

N-Fab.jpgTacoma.jpg

The balance of the factory chrome has been replaced with paint to match pieces from BFN and a Lariat grill purchased from eBay. Waiting on Morimoto LED headlights coming out early next year, too.

Lariat Grill.jpg

We Plasti Dip'd the rear chrome bumper which will be a satisfactory solution until we can find a take off magentic grey rear bumper with back up sensors. We also added the Baja Designs S2 back up lights.
BD S2 Reverse Light Kit.jpg

During November's group buy, we purchased the Baja Designs XL80 lights and SDHQ A-frame mounts. On the LandCruiser we had Baja Designs lights. We tried Rigid on the Tacoma but they don't compare to Baja Designs (IMO). We also replaced the chrome mirror caps with black plastic ones.
BD XL80 SDHQ Mount.jpg

All the new lights are tied to upfitter switches and we found cool upfitter switch stickers on Amazon. Not all the switches are in use at this time but this is the plan for the future (after the Expedition One front bumper is fabricated and installed in February and we can add a winch and more Baja Designs lights).
Upfitter Switches.jpg

An air bag kit is in the box in our kitchen but have not decided whether its needed as the camper's wet weight is only 1900 pounds, so its install is pending. - It is the Firestone kit with Daystar cradles. If we add air bags, most likely we will also add an ARB air compressor in the engine bay.
Firestone Air Bag.jpg

We tinted the front windshield to reduce some of the heat gain and here's the truck currently.
Fall Photo.jpg

The "final" build will look something like this when the Scout Kenai slide in camper is picked up in February.
Scout Camper.png

Forgot to mention, there's a handful of smaller modifications not pictured including: BuiltRight underseat storage; BuiltRight dash mount; FORscan program changes to TPMS sensors, splash screen and gauge readouts; rear wheel well liners; Husky liners and Husky bed mat.

Last year, my family traveled across the country, including Canada, in a 2016 Toyota LandCruiser outfitted with an iKamper roof top tent and loved it so much that we've taken the leap to a Ford F250 and slide in camper set up. The new set up will provide additional security for camping in the winter months, during bear season and in more remote locations. As a family that loves to snowboard, the opportunty to camp in colder climates is super exciting to us.

This is our first 3/4 ton pick up truck as well as our first domestic car or truck; its been a steep learning curve. But, help from this forum, @NEO Garage and others has made it easier.

Here's a photo of our LandCruiser set up, which we were sad to sell earlier this year.

View attachment 12272

This is our new (purchased June of this year) magnetic grey, XLT, 7.3L F250 Tremor. We did not pre-order it; it was available on the lot and the dealership sold the truck at a better than x-plan price. Only options were upfitter switches and sunroof.

View attachment 12273View attachment 12274

We almost immediately upgraded the wheels and tires to MR703s 17x8.5 with 25x12.5 R17 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s, including the spare. When the Carli Back Country 2 1/2" Fox suspension system becomes available early next year for the gas trucks, we plan to upgrade the suspension and move up to 37s.

View attachment 12275

We removed the Tremor running boards in favor of the longer N-Fab steps to provide easier access to the bed side. We also replaced the chrome factory tow hooks with red powdercoated tow hooks on the way to deleting all the XLT factory chrome. (Its also shocking to see how much bigger the F250 is compared to our '20 Tacoma with a King medium travel lift kit.)

View attachment 12277View attachment 12278

The balance of the factory chrome has been replaced with paint to match pieces from BFN and a Lariat grill purchased from eBay. Waiting on Morimoto LED headlights coming out early next year, too.

View attachment 12279

We Plasti Dip'd the rear chrome bumper which will be a satisfactory solution until we can find a take off magentic grey rear bumper with back up sensors. We also added the Baja Designs S2 back up lights.
View attachment 12280

During November's group buy, we purchased the Baja Designs XL80 lights and SDHQ A-frame mounts. On the LandCruiser we had Baja Designs lights. We tried Rigid on the Tacoma but they don't compare to Baja Designs (IMO). We also replaced the chrome mirror caps with black plastic ones.
View attachment 12281

All the new lights are tied to upfitter switches and we found cool upfitter switch stickers on Amazon. Not all the switches are in use at this time but this is the plan for the future (after the Expedition One front bumper is fabricated and installed in February and we can add a winch and more Baja Designs lights).
View attachment 12282

An air bag kit is in the box in our kitchen but have not decided whether its needed as the camper's wet weight is only 1900 pounds, so its install is pending. - It is the Firestone kit with Daystar cradles. If we add air bags, most likely we will also add an ARB air compressor in the engine bay.
View attachment 12283

We tinted the front windshield to reduce some of the heat gain and here's the truck currently.
View attachment 12284

The "final" build will look something like this when the Scout Kenai slide in camper is picked up in February.
View attachment 12285
That Lexus is badass! So much more room in the Tremor though. Looks awesome!

Picked up our Scout Kenai camper this month and took our first adventure with the Tremor and camper. We were super impressed with how the combo performed in all conditions.

Attachments

• Scout1.jpg
    Scout1.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 634
  • Scout2.jpg
    Scout2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 632
  • Scout3.jpg
    Scout3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 625
Picked up our Scout Kenai camper this month and took our first adventure with the Tremor and camper. We were super impressed with how the combo performed in all conditions.
Awesome but how much did it affect fuel economy?

Great looking setup! Did you end up installing the airbags?

Great looking setup! Did you end up installing the airbags?
We have not, yet. Truck sits about level with the camper in it but I’m missing having a little bit of rake. Plus, I get a lot of folks thinking we’ve got our high beams on.

Looking great! I pick my Tremor up tomorrow and I'm putting a flatbed and a pop-up on mine. Nice to see other people doing nice overland setups!
IMO After driving a LC200 for years, the F250 is as good if not better as an overland platform. Can't wait to see your flatbed set up.

IMO After driving a LC200 for years, the F250 is as good if not better as an overland platform. Can't wait to see your flatbed set up.

That's awesome! I'm coming from a Tundra with a slide-in Four Wheel Camper. I'd tuned the suspension that to handle the weight and it was a blast off road. Hoping to do have an even better setup with the Tremor. Now if only my dealer would finish getting it ready so I can pick it up!

Last edited:
Been looking at these scouts...are they considered hard sided or soft sided by NPS?

Been looking at the Alaskan Campers but these may be an alternative...

I had an 8' Alaskan years ago. Bought it when I got out of High School in 78'. Had my dads old truck, 66 F250 Camper Special, Custom Cab, A/C, 352, 4 psd, 4.10 posi. 950 x 16.5's w/mudgrips on the back. In Northern California, that was as good as it got in those days. Dad had a little Aluminum boat I'd tow to the back lakes once in awhile. Didn't realize at the time how really good life was going to be. Hell, all I had was hardbody girlfriend that liked to camp and go fishing ..

F250.jpg

Update: Added Expedition One front bumper with short hoop. Installed Baja Designs XL-R's for fog lights. Added a Come up 16.5rs winch. Replaced factory halogen headlights with Morimoto LEDs. Waiting on Baja Designs LP6 pros to be delivered...

Back