The TREMOR Towing Table

oops

Tremor Aficionado
Reaction Points
This table simplifies and clarifies the Ford Towing Guide strictly for Tremor variants:

1637003474707.png

FOOTNOTES:
  • These numbers currently reflect 2021-2022 models.
  • Derate options (like the 11400# package) are not shown here and will reduce these numbers proportional to the GVWR in this table versus your derate.
  • Please see @ccw's Towing and Payload Rating Guide if any of the terms or relationships in this table are unclear.
  • Please reply here if you spot any discrepancies or areas for improvement.
  • Maximum Trailer Weight is legally restricted by the GCWR Limit, or the CDL limit if applicable (non-RV, non-AG, or CDL license.)
CHANGELOG:
  • V4 - Removed Base Curb Weight and Max Cargo Weight to reduce potential for confusion for now.
  • V5 - Updated for 2022.
  • V6 - Added GCWR and CDL trailer weight limitations

Last edited:
This is already clarifying my understanding. Most of the threads here are about conventional or 5th Wheel towing, and these numbers are somewhat different in a few cases than what I see cited here every day. Couple things that surprised me:

- Every Tremor… gas/diesel… 250/350… is rated basically the same for conventional towing.
- However there's a big delta between 5th Wheel and Gooseneck capability. And the delta between Conventional and Goosneck is massive for the 350 Diesel. However in the popular 250/7.3/4.30 config (like I have) the delta is quite small. (i.e. a gooseneck isn't buying you much capacity.) If I realized this nuance before I personally would have gone for the 350 Diesel (given that I primarily tow equipment trailers rather than RVs.) Kicking myself a bit for not deciphering this earlier.

Last edited:
Looks like we're thinking about the same thing! Just posted a towing and payload guide addressing the topics more generally so folks can work out the numbers on their own for their specific truck.

Base curb weights would be pretty onerous to get as you would have to get them for each trim level without options for each year.

GAWR wouldn't be too hard to figure out with folks looking at their door stickers, though, since there's a limited number of axles available.

GVWR can be found on page 13 of the 2021 towing guide. It's listed in the context of camper ratings, but GVWR is GVWR.

Awesome! Your thread is pretty comprehensive. Was thinking of adding the FAQ here later but why don't we move this table into your guide?

Sure! That sounds good to me! Should it go in the main post at the top as a shortcut? Also happy for you to just post in the thread with it.

Added cargo weights. Some surprises to me here as well. I didn't realize the delta between lowest/highest was so large (~1270 lbs) or that the Gas 350 had the highest cargo rating by an almost ~450 lb margin over the Diesel 350. Although I'll note that these numbers don't reflect derates which are seemingly most common place and do level the playing field.

Last edited:
Note that those cargo weights are specifically in the context of campers - those numbers assume all seats have a 150 pound person in them and some other camper-specific options that they aren’t super clear about on that page. They don’t match the payload capacity you’ll find on your door sticker.

Still a reasonable reference for the difference in payload capacity between two configurations, just the absolute number shouldn’t be interpreted as expected payload capacity.

Yeah, for my 7.3L 4.30 250 the max cargo weight from the guide is 2102. My sticker is 2874. The short-lived Ford VIN Calculator also said 2874 Max Payload.
Notably that delta of 772 lbs equates almost exactly to five 150 lb passengers. (With an odd 22 lbs to spare.)

Does the config in the first column exist for Tremor? 7.3 with 3.55 gears?

Thought Tremor with the 7.3 always has 4.30 gears.

Does the config in the first column exist for Tremor? 7.3 with 3.55 gears?

Thought Tremor with the 7.3 always has 4.30 gears.
I’m not 100% sure. The builder on Ford.com allows me to create that combination (while not allowing other combinations) which is why I included it, but I also have not seen one. (I’m guessing it’s for people who are maximizing fuel economy over payload?) It may be worth deleting that column for clarity if nobody is buying them.

Added cargo weights. Some surprises to me here as well. I didn't realize the delta between lowest/highest was so large (~1270 lbs) or that the Gas 350 had the highest cargo rating by an almost ~450 lb margin over the Diesel 350. Although I'll note that these numbers don't reflect derates which are seemingly most common place and do level the playing field.

View attachment 22229
I believe the base GVWR on 350s is 11300 w 7.3L / 4:30 and 11500 for 6.7L 3:55.

I believe the base GVWR on 350s is 11300 w 7.3L / 4:30 and 11500 for 6.7L 3:55.
I believe you’re right. These numbers come from page 13 of the 2021 towing guide so they reflect Ford’s “camping math”. (Notably the GVWR discrepancy on that page is different than the cargo weight discrepancy.)

Do you know where else Ford might be publishing GVWR’s to confirm the numbers you’re citing?

Latest Discussions

Back