The TREMOR Towing Table

See the last number of posts discussing how to add payload to the table.

Payload is tricky to summarize because it’s so configuration dependent. It’s possible to have 4000 pounds of payload on a Tremor, which lets you nearly max out the towing capacity, or you can have a payload capacity around 2500 pounds which severely restricts you. And everywhere in between.
To add payload, what if we use ranges? Instead of specifying the payload for every trim/option combination, perhaps we could just provide the minimum and maximum payload numbers reported by people for each of the truck categories (250/350 and gas/diesel). This might help people guess that their payload will be closer to one end of the range based on their options.

Also, I wish Ford had payload on their website’s build tool.

I find it interesting that you can get the 3.55 gears with the 6.7 on the tremor but you can't get them with the 7.3.
For the Tremor Ford forces the highest gears. For the 6.7, the highest gears available are the 3.55. With the 7.3 it’s 4.30.

(Chassis cab trucks can have higher gears still, but can’t put the Tremor package on a chassis cab. ;))

6.7 isn’t geared as high most likely because of how much torque it produces and how low in the RPM range.

For the Tremor Ford forces the highest gears. For the 6.7, the highest gears available are the 3.55. With the 7.3 it’s 4.30.

(Chassis cab trucks can have higher gears still, but can’t put the Tremor package on a chassis cab. ;))

6.7 isn’t geared as high most likely because of how much torque it produces and how low in the RPM range.
That makes sense. I'd be willing to be that high torque number is the major contributor as well.

To add payload, what if we use ranges? Instead of specifying the payload for every trim/option combination, perhaps we could just provide the minimum and maximum payload numbers reported by people for each of the truck categories (250/350 and gas/diesel). This might help people guess that their payload will be closer to one end of the range based on their options.

That would be possible but again I wonder how useful that would be. Might as well put a single note under the table that it ranges from roughly 2500-4000 pounds and call it a day. Saves the work of trying to keep the range updated.

That would be possible but again I wonder how useful that would be. Might as well put a single note under the table that it ranges from roughly 2500-4000 pounds and call it a day. Saves the work of trying to keep the range updated.

I actually think it would be fairly trivial and more than reasonably sufficient for us to just roughly approximate the weight of common options that have material mass (moonroof, gooseneck kit, winch, other?) based on tags posted here (or based on numbers we can probably find in some parts inventory system) for people to be able to subtract themselves from the max payload numbers that Ford publishes.

I actually think it would be fairly trivial and more than reasonably sufficient for us to just roughly approximate the weight of common options that have material mass (moonroof, gooseneck kit, winch, other?) based on tags posted here (or based on numbers we can probably find in some parts inventory system) for people to be able to subtract themselves from the max payload numbers that Ford publishes.

It seems the material questions people are routinely asking here are:

- What's the maximum payload of a given variant (e.g. 7.3L F250 Tremor)?
- How much will a given option reduce that payload?

These are not exceedingly difficult questions to answer. Just going to require someone to spend some time cataloging options.

These are not exceedingly difficult questions to answer. Just going to require someone to spend some time cataloging options.
We could create a spreadsheet with variables for each option in the formulas. If we know the total payload (provided from the stickers of real people) the spreadsheet could calculate the exact weight of each option.

We could create a spreadsheet with variables for each option in the formulas. If we know the total payload (provided from the stickers of real people) the spreadsheet could calculate the exact weight of each option.
That's fair. It seems like Ford almost got to the point of publishing the option weights directly? This PDF (page 34) lists all of the options, but it seems like most of them don't have a weight filled in.

If this helps payload for my 2021 F350 Platinum with the 6.7L with EVERY OPINION including that 180lbs winch (not fully sure of the weight but the fief mechanic said it was about 180lbs installed) except the safe and the rapid heater is 3052lbs. I know you have a Platty. Im going to post my window sticker. ??????????

Here you go. Let’s start to figure it out SOOP. Good job. ????

5CEA34E3-6BFF-4944-9F6D-E8805D5DFE7F.jpeg
B387DE11-6967-48A7-A7A1-9FAA65843DF3.jpeg
E918D3FA-9E26-4808-A53E-CD8F44E23C26.png

OK...now for the drop....what is optimal for the max drop...8" or 6".....I'm going with a Weigh safe adjustable hitch

What? Why this thread? ?

The answer is neither: 7” is optimal.

Go 8” if you want more flexibility. 6” if you want less chance of scraping.

If this helps payload for my 2021 F350 Platinum with the 6.7L with EVERY OPINION including that 180lbs winch (not fully sure of the weight but the fief mechanic said it was about 180lbs installed) except the safe and the rapid heater is 3052lbs. I know you have a Platty. Im going to post my window sticker. ??????????
I could not step up to the big P.....just tooo much to bit off for me. I have a Lariat with upgrade package

According to this guide posted by Ice-Capades on BlueOval,

The maximum possible payload for a 250 7.3L Tremor is 2980 lbs
The maximum possible payload for a 250 6.7L Tremor is 2660 lbs

The maximum possible payload for a 350 7.3L Tremor is 4210 lbs
The maximum possible payload for a 350 6.7L Tremor is 3740 lbs

According to this guide posted by Ice-Capades on BlueOval,

The maximum possible payload for a 250 7.3L Tremor is 2980 lbs
The maximum possible payload for a 250 6.7L Tremor is 2660 lbs

The maximum possible payload for a 350 7.3L Tremor is 4210 lbs
The maximum possible payload for a 350 6.7L Tremor is 3740 lbs
There is a problem with their numbers as my 2021 F250 6.7L Lariat Ultimate Tremor has a payload of 2825 lbs.

B9E3FB71-1610-46EF-8745-86FD585B3B0C.jpeg

There is a problem with their numbers as my 2021 F250 6.7L Lariat Ultimate Tremor has a payload of 2825 lbs.

found the issue!

forgot that the diesel needs the HDPL package on the tremor.

that changes the numbers a bit. Here is the correction:

The maximum possible payload for a 250 7.3L Tremor is 2980 lbs with 10,000 GVWR package
The maximum possible payload for a 250 6.7L Tremor is 3060 lbs with 10,800 GVWR package

The maximum possible payload for a 350 7.3L Tremor is 4210 lbs with 11,400* GVWR package
The maximum possible payload for a 350 6.7L Tremor is 3740 lbs with 11,500* GVWR package

the supplemental guides says 11,300 (gas) / 11,500 (diesel) GVWR but when you build a 350 Tremor you can select 11,400 or 10,000 packages

Last edited:
I'm sort of curious......how do they get the extra capacity?? From everything I've looked at and researched the 250 and 350 Tremors are the same underneath....4 inch axle, same springs and shocks (and no sway bar on the rear). Do they beef up the springs...add a sway bar ??

I'm sort of curious......how do they get the extra capacity?? From everything I've looked at and researched the 250 and 350 Tremors are the same underneath....4 inch axle, same springs and shocks (and no sway bar on the rear). Do they beef up the springs...add a sway bar ??

The physical capacity of all of the trucks is the same, Ford just places a different Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on each vehicle for marketing and regulatory purposes.

Back