The Flock of Pheasants just got BIGGER!!!!

Congratulations!!!
Cheers 🍻

Congratulations!

I hope you'll continue to post your experiences and insights with the Lightning as time passes. Your vantage point as both a Super Duty and EV enthusiast provides a somewhat unique perspective.

ex: My F-150 was the "gateway drug" that turned my eye towards the SD as a first choice for a new HD truck when I saw the interior redesign. Commonality/similarity of the controls seemed (and is) appealing, but for the occasional little hesitation where things aren't quite identical and I hitch for a fraction of a second as I remember which one I'm driving. :LOL:

I'd love to hear about stuff like that in both directions should you wish to share.

Enjoy!

I’m not a huge EV fan because I hate most cars. But the lightning as a “commuter car” is totally good idea. That’s probably the only EV I’d consider at the moment, although, the Porsche Taycan is pretty slick. But I just hate being so low in cars. Love being higher up in the trucks.

I've been tossing around the idea of a Model S Plaid as a "run around Houston" car for my wife. The acceleration is absolutely intoxicating.

I’m not a huge EV fan because I hate most cars. But the lightning as a “commuter car” is totally good idea. That’s probably the only EV I’d consider at the moment, although, the Porsche Taycan is pretty slick. But I just hate being so low in cars. Love being higher up in the trucks.

I've been tossing around the idea of a Model S Plaid as a "run around Houston" car for my wife. The acceleration is absolutely intoxicating.
Exactly. I think this is where EV’s really really shine!!! Running around town, driving to work, soccer practice, groceries or whatever they’re really hard to beat. Basically you drive them around like normal everyday. When you get home at night you plug it in and let it charge. Everyday you start with a full tank (well 80-85% if you’re smart). Never have to stop for gas or even think about it. If you go on a long trip, it’s still very doable but requires a little more thought, but really just take your gas vehicle those days. For me I get free charging at work so an EV is hugely beneficial.

IMG_1364.png

This was my Tesla stats for a year of ownership. $158 for 18,000 miles…. Not a bad deal.

You'd like the Lucid Air Sapphire better 😉

Ford is dang near giving the Lightning away. No wonder the Super Duty's are so expensive. The profit they make on them goes to cover the loss on the EV's. Glad you were able to get an awesome deal!

Ford is dang near giving the Lightning away. No wonder the Super Duty's are so expensive. The profit they make on them goes to cover the loss on the EV's. Glad you were able to get an awesome deal!
Agreed. You gotta strike when the deal is available. I actually feel bad for those that bought them for 90-100k or more a year or two ago. In fact I have a friend who spent 100k on one, he really regrets it.

Electric demand is going down more than slightly around these parts. The pickup truck still rules here and I have yet to see a Lightning where I live. I can believe they’re fast though. So’d my Powerstroke, to fe quite honest! And it pulls like…

Even here in the Bay Area where the Teslas are born, the demand has tanked. Lightning’s and the EV “Mustang’s” are stacking up like cord wood at the dealers. Huge discounts are not hard to find these days.
But buyers certainly are. Tesla has run out of storage lots to keep all their built inventory parked waiting to be sold. They rented a huge section of a failing shopping mall parking lot and have probably a couple hundred stored there just collecting dust. Vacant lots around the factory are being used to store some and are also being used as staging areas for shipments.
One of the major rental car agencies is dumping 25% of their EV’s in favor of replacing them with ICE vehicles that people would rather rent! They’ve discovered that the maintenance, repairs and insurance costs to manage those EV’s is a lot more expensive than their ICE fleet is.
And to add insult to injury, the only way they can get people to rent the EV’s is to drop the prices and/or offer incentives to get renters to take the EV’s instead of the ICE vehicle’s!

GM just announced that their planned EV rival to the Maverick has been scrapped due to the drop in interest of the EV’s.

Sure, EV’s will be a big part of the future of automotive transportation but not anytime soon. They currently represent about 8% of vehicle sales. States like CA that tried shoving them down the throats of consumers have already back peddled on their self imposed deadline for the sales of new ICE vehicles.

Even here in the Bay Area where the Teslas are born, the demand has tanked. Lightning’s and the EV “Mustang’s” are stacking up like cord wood at the dealers. Huge discounts are not hard to find these days.
But buyers certainly are. Tesla has run out of storage lots to keep all their built inventory parked waiting to be sold. They rented a huge section of a failing shopping mall parking lot and have probably a couple hundred stored there just collecting dust. Vacant lots around the factory are being used to store some and are also being used as staging areas for shipments.
One of the major rental car agencies is dumping 25% of their EV’s in favor of replacing them with ICE vehicles that people would rather rent! They’ve discovered that the maintenance, repairs and insurance costs to manage those EV’s is a lot more expensive than their ICE fleet is.
And to add insult to injury, the only way they can get people to rent the EV’s is to drop the prices and/or offer incentives to get renters to take the EV’s instead of the ICE vehicle’s!

GM just announced that their planned EV rival to the Maverick has been scrapped due to the drop in interest of the EV’s.

Sure, EV’s will be a big part of the future of automotive transportation but not anytime soon. They currently represent about 8% of vehicle sales. States like CA that tried shoving them down the throats of consumers have already back peddled on their self imposed deadline for the sales of new ICE vehicles.
That’s really good to see states backing away from making people buy EV’s. I’m a free market guy and the only way EV’s work is if they present an advantage to the consumer. After owning a Rav4 Prime, Tesla Y and now this Lightning…. I’ll say without question the plug in Hybrid model is the way to go. Give people an easy 50 ish miles of range and they’ll use mostly electricity and they’ll be able to charge at basically any home overnight without upgrading their homes service. When a long trip comes up or people with apartments and no steady source of power it’s still a gas car that gets great mileage. Pure EV’s are more of a toy or novelty for people with some disposable income. I truly enjoy them for the role that fill, in my case 50 mile a day commute with free charging at work. Thinking the country is going to run on EV’s is ridiculous. I come from an engineering background and spent a good portion of my career in nuclear power generation so trust me, I know the limitations of the power grid. For the role they fill EV’s are actually tough to beat, but for towing or remote travel they’re pretty silly. I’m glad people won’t be forced into them and I’ve often said to people that ask me about owning them, that this is the Golden Age of owning EV’s, right now…. I can still charge and park cheaper or free in most places The more EV’s on the rd the harder all that becomes. Rant over. If you want a daily commuter car or something with melt your face acceleration consider and EV. If you wanna tow a boat, don’t even think about it! Truth is most people just drive to and from work or school and a plug in hybrid would probably be the best solution.

Congrats on the new pheasant mobile!

Back