The first tow! Weighsafe 10" drop not even low enough on stock truck!

blumhagen

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 Platinum Tremor w/6.7L Powersmoke
Surprisingly my little trailer with almost 0 tongue weight threw the truck around a bit. Not quite level with a 10" drop, luckily it didn't hit the ground pulling out of my driveway. I'm going to have to get some sort of slop eliminator as I feel the large drop increases the slop feeling.

& my safety chains don't fit properly. Will order hammerlocks just not sure which size.

20220920_192543.jpeg

I am dreading putting my ATV trailer on the Tremor

My ATV trailer sits perfectly level with a 5.25" drop. At least until the OEM tires wear out and are replaced with 37s.

8" drop weigh safe, up 1 spot from the bottom. Rides pretty level, trailer has 15" tires.
1663762255249.jpeg

Damn! Everything I have been towing has been about a 2-3" drop. A small utility trailer would be a different story, I guess.

Will order hammerlocks just not sure which size.

1/2" G80's is what I got.

They are 12k rated.

If you want 15k rated you have to step up to a G100 rated.

You can go to 22k rated with a 5/8 G100 rated, but the Tremor on the receiver is only rated to 15k so kind of overkill. The 5/8 will fit through the receiver openings, but A LOT of chain ends wont fit over a 5/8. I have trouble with one of my trailers with the 1/2" size. I mean not the end of the world and easy enough to swap chains on the trailer, but just a buyer beware thing...

1/2" G80's is what I got.

They are 12k rated.

If you want 15k rated you have to step up to a G100 rated.

You can go to 22k rated with a 5/8 G100 rated, but the Tremor on the receiver is only rated to 15k so kind of overkill. The 5/8 will fit through the receiver openings, but A LOT of chain ends wont fit over a 5/8. I have trouble with one of my trailers with the 1/2" size. I mean not the end of the world and easy enough to swap chains on the trailer, but just a buyer beware thing...

How my day went...lol I think I need some sort of press to get them all the way seated. Maybe i'll try and find somebody with a portapower because those ain't moving into the last section at all

hammer.jpeg

How my day went...lol I think I need some sort of press to get them all the way seated. Maybe i'll try and find somebody with a portapower because those ain't moving into the last section at all

View attachment 61242

Get a hammer... start hitting them... Its not easy. I used a 2lb mini sledge. Once they start to go it gets easier.

View attachment 61242
I had to make the chamfer better on the end of the pin by chucking it in a drill. I then used copper anti seize in addition to a C clamp to drive them home.

qtVz445.jpg

Get a hammer... start hitting them... Its not easy. I used a 2lb mini sledge. Once they start to go it gets easier.
I was using a 4lbs the entire time. Just to do that was pretty rough. Problem is trying to line up the hole nd hammer at the same time. C clamp might work I'll try that.

C clamp might work I'll try that.

I tried it. Problem is none of the surfaces are really flat and no matter how I positioned things, every time I turned the c-clamp the thing moved around and fell off the hammerlock...

They arent easy to install and you have to hit them harder than you think, but they will go.

Make sure you are driving your pin the correct way(if either end has a bevel) and see if your center lock has an arrow for the way to drive it. Mine did not, but I read of a few brands that are one way only.

Surprisingly my little trailer with almost 0 tongue weight threw the truck around a bit. Not quite level with a 10" drop, luckily it didn't hit the ground pulling out of my driveway. I'm going to have to get some sort of slop eliminator as I feel the large drop increases the slop feeling.

& my safety chains don't fit properly. Will order hammerlocks just not sure which size.

View attachment 61197
I have had lightweight (relatively) trailers like that with other trucks and got into the habit of using ballast when I'm towing them unloaded. A sand bag usually or the spare tire moved to the front was all it took to make a noticeable difference. Some had good balance with weight biased on the tongue, but others weren't - quite the opposite actually. One motorcycle trailer would damn near lift the tongue without anything on it... Maybe a light pinky finger was all it took to lift it.

I'm using a 10" w my WD head (so it's right around 5 1/8" or so at the ball) and it's perfect at the lowest position w our 400#/4500# travel trailer. Might even be a hair low when loaded.

As for the hammerlocks (aka the new truck nuts), I used a regular ol framing hammer and a block of wood wedged up behind them. I also put a dab of marine grease on the pins and locks to keep the rust at bay.

Back