Tell me about the pros and cons of where you live

No Dice

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
Prior service
Current Ride
2022 F-350 AMB Tremor
I’ve lived in the south for all my life (45 years) and been thinking of relocating when the time is right. The weather is the most trying factor here..hot as hades in the summer w/ the humidity and a the pollen is awful during the spring.

My wife and I like the idea of 4 actual seasons and a coastal area would be nice. Not much on hunting any more.

We like a quiet, nice place where we can walk around. Government regs/taxes are always a consideration. I’ve always heard good things about NM and AZ as far as the weather/ pollen goes. I’d like to hear feedback on the east cost side..NC/SC etc.

My wife and I like the idea of 4 actual seasons
Michigan has four very distinct seasons, one of the reasons we like it here. Lots of nice smaller, walkable towns to chose from depending if you want to be inland or near water. Traverse City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix would give you the coastal experience albeit fresh water... Lots of local, state, and national parks and forests, UP has some rugged untouched terrain if you want to go rustic. There is a little bit of everything in this state imo.

Cons: Snow - but you said you wanted actual seasons, right? Lake effect overcast in the Winter can get to some - can be gray and gloomy for weeks on end. The roads suck but Big Gretch may still get around to her campaign promise if she stays in office this year.

So Cal.

Pros - It never gets really cold. My family, business, and church are here.

Cons - People, 1 in 100 people in America lives in the view from my living room. Crime. Too many people. It's crowded. It's expensive. did I mention it was crowded?

Don't move here. I'm stuck here.

Michigan has four very distinct seasons, one of the reasons we like it here. Lots of nice smaller, walkable towns to chose from depending if you want to be inland or near water. Traverse City, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix would give you the coastal experience albeit fresh water... Lots of local, state, and national parks and forests, UP has some rugged untouched terrain if you want to go rustic. There is a little bit of everything in this state imo.

Cons: Snow - but you said you wanted actual seasons, right? Lake effect overcast in the Winter can get to some - can be gray and gloomy for weeks on end. The roads suck but Big Gretch may still get around to her campaign promise if she stays in office this year.
We rented a house on Lake Michigan in Union Pier (SE MI) with my in-laws during the summer of 2019 and it was spectacular. That was in August and the temps were great. Cool actually. Contrary to what a lot of people say about folks from the north, the people couldn’t have been nicer.

Lots of great towns all along the west coast! I grew up on the west side of the state and am still partial to it even though I've spent the last 30 years on the opposite side...

CA sucks in so many ways. But if you can afford it and put up with the crime, traffic and crowds (as mentioned above) there are so many benefits to live here. I’m an hour and fifteen to ski in Tahoe. 2 hour drive to Napa/Sonoma. As much as I hate going to San Francisco & Oakland, the food is out of this world. 3 hours to Carmel by the Sea & Monterey. No change of seasons here for the most part. I grew up in the Midwest and understand the 4 seasons, I miss them…but also don’t miss shoveling snow lol!

What @Mtn_Skier said above. CA, South Bay. No real seasons, about 3-5 weeks of “cold” as low as high 30’s. Maybe a week below 30. Can ride my motorcycles 11 months of the year on some amazing backroads with greenery, or Highway 1 with the ocean right next to you. Snow is a few hours away, ocean even closer, great food everywhere. The roads you commute on SUCK. The crowding sucks. The housing sucks. You’ll hate it if you think human decency should be normal, if you think holding a door is normal.

We live in an area Called Willow Glen. Supposed to be a quaint little “town” in San Jose. 10 yrs now here, and it’s outta control. My previous truck got broke into in my driveway. Sons car, attempted theft a few weeks ago… wife has a 10 minutes commute and all she sees is homelessness once she gets 5 minutes from the house. Granted she works at the county hospital….

We are packing it in. Love the CA I grew up in, hate what it’s turned into. 100 days or so left and as beautiful as CA can be…. I may never return.

North Idaho: B E A UTiful! 50 Lakes in 50 miles. 4 seasons, the people up here are traditional it’s America the “way it used to be”. Tons of outdoor activities.. no matter the season. It’s incredible when you love where ya live! Looking for the cons... I’d have to say unfortunately the secret is out and its grown faster than the infrastructure was prepared. It’s worth it!

I live near The coldest town in Queensland.

Pros.

No traffic lights
no traffic
no congestion
no trouble finding a parking spot at the supermarket when I go into town
I live on acreage with a variety of native animals from marsupials to kookaburras and Australian magpies
The restaurants and RSL club are really good with outstanding food
i have by own dam and bore
Lovely views from the kitchen, lounge and bedroom
I already have a 3 car garage, and in the next 2 months a big single car garage and a big 2 car garage
Great weather, most of the time

Cons
Internet is bad, but I received an email that gives me hope I can get much better
im only on tank water, but I found out this week I can apply to join the town water supply
Snakes are a worry
Bushfires are a worry

Ne PA, con- winters suck the salt is horrendous, early spring is a sloppy mud bog, pollen is horrible, cities suck but I avoid them
Pros-late spring to fall is pretty good weather, rural to small towns (where I’m at)
Been thinkin about where to possible move I hate extreme heat so was considering NC don’t think I’d want to go any further south than that would love to find a chunk of land in the blue ridge mountains (the less people the better)

I live in Montana. We have rattlesnakes, grizzly bears, mountain lions, long distances between gas stations, wild Indians, lots of rednecks, below zero weather in the winter, 100 degrees temps in the summer, wild fires and several places with 1 tree competing for the title of Montana State Forest.

^^^^Sounds like paradise. I’m In. My goal for retirement is to see how many weeks I can go without seeing another person.

I grew up in NoCal and as much as it's beautiful and perfect you couldn't pay me enough to live in CA ever again.

Lived in Reno for years. Hot smoky summers, what I thought were cold winters, traffic is getting bad and housing is too expensive. Basically Californians moving in ruined it.

Moved to northern IA. Still got summers, now with enough humidity to turn it into a damned sauna. Winters are frozen solid for 6 months. People everywhere. Not many of them, but everywhere. 5 people per square mile but it's every damned mile. Whole different feel out here. Flat as a pancake. Tornadoes, inland hurricanes (deracho), everything is old. Again, completely different feel.

Our goal is to end up somewhere between Idaho falls ID and Montrose CO. Where exactly we're not sure.

^^^^Sounds like paradise. I’m In. My goal for retirement is to see how many weeks I can go without seeing another person.
lol my dream was to be completely off grid with as many acres as I could afford (nobody in nobody out lol) but after a multitude of shoulder surgeries on both that dream is dead I think, I don’t think I’d be able to handle the physical strain that lifestyle requires to survive anymore, I just pray I can make it to retirement without them crippling me out

Maryland...highest murder rate per capita. Squeegie boys at every red light in Baltimore city. Car jackings and ATM thefts on the news every day. Ridiculous property taxes. Horrible traffic. 4 distinct seasons, not much snow closer to the shore. Good schools for the kids if you live in the right areas, and crab cakes. At least we do crab cakes right.

From CT originally, would NEVER go back there, too expensive, crowded, cold. Liked northern CA but that was in the 80’s. Enjoyed FL, have to live in the right area there for sure. Now in Virginia Beach, work brought me here, not a bad place, lots to do, plenty of outdoor recreation but like so many places it is getting too crowded. Next move hopefully soon will be to Smith Mountain Lake in western Virginia. Love the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Latest Discussions

Back