Take delivery of '22 or order '23?

Would you take delivery of a MY22 now or wait for a MY23 order?

• Take the 22, it's better looking anyway.

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Wait for a 23, you don't want to start out with the "old" style.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Take the 22, and trade it for a 24 in 2 years after Ford redesigns the front end.

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

gsea

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘22 7.3L F350
Another one of these posts... if only it would let me do a poll.

My '22 just arrived today at the stealership. Now that the '23 orders are open, I'm having some second thoughts about taking delivery or just order a '23.

My last 3 trucks I've bought the first year of a new generation, so I didn't start out with "old body style" for resale value longevity.

However, with the 23s being a little controversial looking (and a smidge more expense), maybe that's not the right approach this time.

22 PROs:
- Cheaper
- Better looking (manual gauges, clean sides, non-hideous front end)
- It's here at the dealership

23 PROs:
- onboard scales
- fifth wheel hitch camera
- lay-flat seats
- onboard power
- "New" generation will still feel current for another 4-5 years...

Is anyone have the same internal debate? What did you decide and what was your thinking?

Last edited:
My $0.02 (or in reality $6X,XXX... ) is I'm either taking my 22 (being built this week) or buying something used. The 23's I don't care for the front end nor the dash/guages/etc. AND I especially don't care for the pricing. Sucks a bit that I likely won't receive a model year 22 truck until early 2023... and technically it will have depreciated a bit to those chasing the latest and greatest. But on the other hand I intend to keep mind for 7-10+yrs assuming no lemon issues so that part really doesn't matter. The lower cost on the truck is lower sales taxes I pay and the very thin silver lining on how long ford has taken to build my truck is that I may actually have lower registration fees too. We have ownership taxes that are higher in the first 5 years of "the model year" than years 6-10 (drops low low after 10yrs), well if I register a brand new 2022 in calendar year 2023 its technical already a "model year" old for all the subsequent years.

I haven't experiences the glory of layflat seats to know the value of that selling point. Adding an inverter to a truck isn't a monumental task to do after market so no sway there.

From reading your post, it sounds like the '22 will be your best option. I expect the things people don't like about the '23 will stick around for a few years since it is a recent refresh of the design, so you might not find the '24 to be any better from an exterior design perspective. With a bunch of new tech being rolled out this year, I don't expect there to be much more new tech in the Super Duty line for a few more years (although there's some have speculated that the onboard power might increase beyond the 2kW in future years - nothing from Ford on this that I've seen). The in-bed scales, tailgate camera, and other towing features are a bigger selling point for me for the '23 vs '22.

I haven't had a chance to experience the lay flat seats, but wonder how much more comfortable will they be over the multi-contour seats. I suppose it also depends on how much you plan on sleeping in the truck (or needing to lay flat in it).

For onboard power, @BroncoHooves did a really nice inverter install on his rig. If that's something you really need, I suggest checking out his build thread for ideas on how to add this in yourself.

One last consideration is whether you want/need the truck now versus being willing to wait for a '23 (which could be up to a year, or your order might not even get built resulting in an even longer wait for a '24)

Take the '22. You mentioned lay flat seats. Those are only in the higher trims. I thought they closed the order bank on the Platinums already. Even if not, you're a late order and will be waiting a long time.

I like a number of things about the 23's that aren't available on earlier models. That having been said, nothing they have added to the 23's is a big enough draw to make me want to pay an extra $7K for, let alone go through who knows how long of a wait.

Lay down seats, how often would I really use them? Probably very seldom if ever, but they are cool.
Head up display. I rarely look at the dash for info anyway. What's the head up going to do that I've never need yet.
On board power. I have three generators already, and hardly ever use them. Don't need a forth and probably would seldom if ever use onboard either.
And this list goes on just like this. I really think in the case of an ordered truck that's arriving soon, go ahead and get it. A bird in the hand is much better than a lot more waiting, uncertainty and more money to boot.

nothing they have added to the 23's is a big enough draw to make me want to pay an extra $7K for, let alone go through who knows how long of a wait.
This is it for me. For relatively equal money I would weigh the pros and cons but there is no one thing or combination of things that would tempt me to spend ~10% more.

That pretty much sums it up!. I think some deals may be headed our way when Ford finishes up the 10's of thousands of '22 trucks waiting for various parts.

I had the exact same internal debate as well. At the end of the day i felt that the 17-22 series is iconic and will want one for a long time, maybe a keeper truck forever.

One other thing, 2022 has sync 4 and the larger screen, which is a monumental Upgrade in my opinion. You get a unique blend of tech upgrades without sacrificing exterior changes that are less than great IMO. And, I really wanted a Marsala interior (I get sick of black interior)

Also my loaded platinum came in at 6k below sticker (88k) so it seemed a good deal. Only thing km second guessing is the color I picked out!

Back