Tailgate opens mysteriously

DIG

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor
Anyone ever have their tailgate open by itself for no reason? I looked out the window remote starting the truck this morning and the tailgate was open. I check my security cameras and at 4:30 this morning the tailgate opened by itself.

There's been reports of this as well as the step popping out when going over bumps while driving. I also thought there had been a recall for the tailgate opening mystery.

Reactions: DIG
I think this must be a new problem as the recall was for the older trucks. My 2017 had just 1 plug (other than the camera). The recall was to split out some of the wires from the harness so you hen had 3 plugs.

I notices on my 2020 it seemed to have the recall done from the factory as it has 3 plugs + camera. I was kind of disapointed that they didn't fix the harness so that it was just plug again. I take my tailgate off a lot (truck camper) and it's a pain feeding through all the wires.

Easy way to tell would be to check your glove box and count the number of dummy plugs you have in the 'tailgate removal kit'

Reactions: DIG
NTHS just opened a investigation into Ford tailgates still opening, even after the repair has been made. However it does not include the 2020/21 model.

did the lights blink as a button on the key fob was pushed
No lights turned on. I can only hope that I hit the tailgate release button with the fob in my pocket and not noticed it. I was doing some things to the truck yesterday and didn't drive it. My driveway is sloped, and the tailgate doesn't normally open all the way because of it. So anyways, I hope it was partially open and the wind blew it the rest of the way but who knows!

No lights turned on. I can only hope that I hit the tailgate release button with the fob in my pocket and not noticed it. I was doing some things to the truck yesterday and didn't drive it. My driveway is sloped, and the tailgate doesn't normally open all the way because of it. So anyways, I hope it was partially open and the wind blew it the rest of the way but who knows!
this is very possible

this is very possible
i had this happen to me. On a 5 hr drive I stopped for fuel and saw my gate was down as i oppened the fuel filler door. I walked behind the truck and saw my tailgate destroyed by the jack on my 10k trailer. I had heard some noises but thought it was the load on the trailer. I was sure I had closed the tailgate and was shocked to see it down. I was sick to have rhis happen to my 3000 mile Tremor. Now $1800 later it is fixed but I am still sick over it. I still believe my gate opened while I was driving.
I wasnt aware there are more occurances of this.

I’ve been having this issue as well. Happened twice this week. With all the tech in these trucks it would be nice to have an alarm when the tailgate is down so you know. Was watching some YouTube videos and from what I’ve found water gets into part of the wiring harness for the unlock/open button on the tailgate and is causing it to open unexpectedly.

So the fix is to cut the two tailgate wires out of that connector and send them through a new connector. That fixes the tailgate I suppose but what about the rest of the wires in that connector that are getting wet? Just let them continue being wet until they corrode?

used to do that all the time on my 19 f450...thankfully never while towing...i took it in for the recall but it still did it after that, just not as often.

I have had this happen once and just assumed that the remote triggered it in my pocket. I came out to the parking lot at work and my tailgate was resting against a tree behind my truck. Luckily no damage.

This also happened to my dad's 2017 Raptor. My sister had a set of wheels and tires in the back of his truck. They realized they were missing and thought they had been stolen. I helped my dad check his security cameras and sure enough, the tailgate had popped open before he left the house. We followed his route to work and found every wheel and tire that had fallen out.

I had it happen in my F150 and I'm sure it was due to the key fob in the pocket issue. Same thing for the panic button.

Seems like it should be escalated to a recall. A tailgate on a truck randomly opening with the driver totally unaware is a legitimate safety concern. Shit in the bed plus gravity and that whole F=MA thing.

yeah there is def a recall on it.....but as said above it was supposed to be fixed on the '20 and later models...

Yep mine opened driving about 65, i heard a clunk and looked in my rear view and it was down. When i parked at work and got out the step and handle was out also.

yeah there is def a recall on it.....but as said above it was supposed to be fixed on the '20 and later models...
I thoughts they fixed it mid production of the 2020’s. So there would still be some 2020’s out there with the issue.

Back