Tailgate Lock

Deus

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F350 Tremor Sport Ult 6.7L
Current Ride #2
Ariel Atom
Wondering if anyone has found a way to make it more difficult to bust the lock and walk away with the tailgate. I have seen some glorified hinge clamps on Amazon but they do not seem effective.

Can't shoot people commiting property crime in CA. Also, I don't live in my truck (yet) so I would have to be alerted to someone stealing my tailgate.

McGard and other companies make tailgate hinge locks which prevent the tailgate from being pulled off when opened

Doesn't the tail gate handle (latch) lock? Seems like that would keep 99% of would be thieves from taking it. To add another lock to it seems like it's not going to stop someone that is determined. Especially if it's just a glorified hose clamp.

I’ve done electric tailgate locks on my last two trucks, wired into my passenger door lock so doesn’t unlock until the second press.

Also use a hose clamp on the tailgate side that releases first, simple way to may it difficult to remove

The tailgate on this truck is locked when it is in the closed position and the doors are locked. With that in mind, what else do we need to protect against?

Can't shoot people commiting property crime in CA. Also, I don't live in my truck (yet) so I would have to be alerted to someone stealing my tailgate.
In Texas you can at night... haha. So much for the day. ?‍♂️

The tailgate on this truck is locked when it is in the closed position and the doors are locked. With that in mind, what else do we need to protect against?

Looking for additional protection from the ease of bumping the lock and walking away with a tailgate that costs a few grand to replace.

he asked for an option and I gave one. I don't have one on mine now. i did have one on my old truck. Definitely worth it when I lived 2 hours away from Mexico and trucks would get stripped for parts all the time.

Looking for additional protection from the ease of bumping the lock and walking away with a tailgate that costs a few grand to replace.

If you are in a high theft area I think your best option is that McGard set up. It's the best option I've seen for a secondary lock.

If you are considering a cover, that will also provide some security. I purchased the retrax pro xr. I keep it closed and locked and access the bed from the tailgate. Once the tailgate closes it would be pretty tough to get to the tailgate hinge. But if someone really wants it they will find a way to get it.
C

Does the alarm go off if you open or remove tailgate while its locked?

Wondering if anyone has found a way to make it more difficult to bust the lock and walk away with the tailgate. I have seen some glorified hinge clamps on Amazon but they do not seem effective.

Put a hose clamp or 2 around the hinge on the passenger side where the tailgate slides out of the slot. That will slow them down quite a bit, especially if correctly placed it will take a lot of time to remove the tailgate, and thieves don’t like to take time to steal stuff. Plus hose clamps are cheap, you may even have a couple laying around your garage like I did.

Great points. Though, I wouldn’t want it getting stolen while the gate is down or if the truck is accidentally unlocked. It’s a rare occurrence but plausible.

I bought this thing and it’s not cheesy. The lock and key is even like wheel locks. I wish the cup that fits over the joint was better fitting but overall pleased.

Attachments

• E5A0E5E6-CA14-4A8D-BE17-DB92D4D8C69E.jpeg
    E5A0E5E6-CA14-4A8D-BE17-DB92D4D8C69E.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 0FB225A7-D98E-4E00-8A9D-F161F4C05DDB.jpeg
    0FB225A7-D98E-4E00-8A9D-F161F4C05DDB.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 99
I bought this thing and it’s not cheesy. The lock and key is even like wheel locks. I wish the cup that fits over the joint was better fitting but overall pleased.

How difficult was installation?

How difficult was installation?
Super easy-ish. It was a quick PITA getting the end to seat in the lock. It’s really just a stainless hose clamp with a plastic shroud over it. In a low security area a standard hose clamp can serve the purpose. I like the enhanced security of the special lock. But again, it’s essentially a glorified hose clamp.

Attachments

• 38BBDD8F-EFF7-4E6A-9BA7-97CD2D5C2AD9.jpeg
    38BBDD8F-EFF7-4E6A-9BA7-97CD2D5C2AD9.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 17
Back