Sync 3 SUCKS!

Mine is not CarPlay related because I only use Bluetooth. CarPlay does nothing for me. How ford thought it was a good idea to loose the outside temp reading when in CarPlay mode is beyond me. Did nobody take this on a trial run before release?

If you were happy with the version of SYNC in your 2017, you can downgrade. FWIW, there's a lot of discussion across the web about the type of issues you're describing with SYNC 3.4 specifically, and they seem to be resolved by downgrading to earlier builds or SYNC 3.3.

Most software companies suck at making software. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that auto manufacturers haven't figured out how to do it better.

Mine is not CarPlay related because I only use Bluetooth. CarPlay does nothing for me. How ford thought it was a good idea to loose the outside temp reading when in CarPlay mode is beyond me. Did nobody take this on a trial run before release?
I just tap the Ford Sync icon if I need to see the outside temperature. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker. ?‍♂️

Just got my 21. The Sync3 system has updated software, but is otherwise the same system I had in my 2017 F150, and it was old/outdated even in that truck. I agree it's total BS that it's still the system in a 2021 truck without even an upgrade path. I decided not to wait for the 2022 for a number of reasons but Sync4 would be a welcome improvement.

That said, there are apparently aftermarket systems that are way better. Anyone using them? Do you have all the functionality? i.e., the only way to turn on/off steering wheel heater is thru the touchscreen; do the aftermarket replacements incorporate 100% of the functions?

Perhaps I'm dreaming, but is the Ford interface open source or CAN accessible? It'd be nice to not have to put in an aftermarket radio and instead just program some API calls through the CAN from a tablet mounted in front of, but otherwise leaving the factory electronics in place.

I decided not to wait for the 2022 for a number of reasons but Sync4 would be a welcome improvement.

Not being snarky but what leads you to expect Synch 4 will be better? It seems to me that many software 'upgrades' often involve more useless bells and whistles without being more functional.

Try disconnection CarPlay and just use it with bluetooth connection. Mine works perfect this way.

Edit: I honestly have no use for Apple CarPLay anyway. I text, email and make calls with my phone and that's about it.
thanks, I will try that and see if it's better

What are the features of Sync 4 y'all are most looking for?
Wireless Carplay would be really nice. Leaving my phone in my pocket instead of having to take it out and plug it into a wire.

12 inch screen would make navigation more accessible. As it is now, that only way to see radio station and navigation on the same screen is the home screen, and that makes the navigation map very tiny indeed. Maybe 2x2? So being able to see more of the map in an unfamiliar area would be helpful.

Not being snarky but what leads you to expect Synch 4 will be better? It seems to me that many software 'upgrades' often involve more useless bells and whistles without being more functional.
Point taken, and I agree, the more features, the more likely there will be bugs. But software bugs can be found and fixed. Outdated hardware is always outdated.

Wireless Carplay would be really nice. Leaving my phone in my pocket instead of having to take it out and plug it into a wire.

12 inch screen would make navigation more accessible. As it is now, that only way to see radio station and navigation on the same screen is the home screen, and that makes the navigation map very tiny indeed. Maybe 2x2? So being able to see more of the map in an unfamiliar area would be helpful.
I can recommend this adapter for wireless CarPlay: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

It's a little slow to initialize after starting the vehicle (10-20 seconds) but otherwise it seems to have all the benefits of a factory wireless setup. And I'm not sure if factory wireless is any faster as I imagine most of the lag is the Wireless CarPlay handshake it has to do (it connects to your car via Bluetooth to get CarPlay Wi-Fi credentials, than connects via WiFi.)

I can recommend this adapter for wireless CarPlay: https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

It's a little slow to initialize after starting the vehicle (10-20 seconds) but otherwise it seems to have all the benefits of a factory wireless setup. And I'm not sure if factory wireless is any faster as I imagine most of the lag is the Wireless CarPlay handshake it has to do (it connects to your car via Bluetooth to get CarPlay Wi-Fi credentials, than connects via WiFi.)

Wow that's cool. I've seen that somewhere before (probably this forum) but had forgotten about it until you reminded me. In for 1!

If you were happy with the version of SYNC in your 2017, you can downgrade. FWIW, there's a lot of discussion across the web about the type of issues you're describing with SYNC 3.4 specifically, and they seem to be resolved by downgrading to earlier builds or SYNC 3.3.

Most software companies suck at making software. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that auto manufacturers haven't figured out how to do it better.
I have android but when using android auto the screen displays the temp from my phone, which is always local. Probably more accurate too since vehicle outside temp gauges are almost always inflated by several degrees due to picking up heat rising from the asphalt. I'm not entirely sure where the probe is on this truck but on most vehicles it's too close to the engine and too close to the ground.

I'm having SOME of the same issues........came from a 2009 BMW and that infotainment was lightyears ahead of 2020 SYNC....It truly is garbage......check out this setup I'm calling tomorrow to try and get a price......

See this thread:

Brand new truck, came from a 2017 F350. 2017 was simple but flawless in the way the Sync worked. This 2021 SUCKS. Station presets move all over the place on the screen, yet stay fixed on the hard buttons. Bluetooth MICROPHONE volume is so low it is unusable. This is regardless of Bluetooth or CarPlay connections. How can a truck, or any vehicle, with an $80k MSRP roll out so flawed. This is the daily interface with the vehicle, and it does not function. I have told the dealer, but will not take it in to have this and that torn apart to replace stuff, when what I read her and elsewhere, is that it can’t be fixed. Has anyone had success with this system? I tried all the resets, delete waze etc, to no avail.
Besides this, truck is a giant improvement over the 17. Transmission is outstanding.
I would have a different dealership look at it sounds like they don’t wanna be bothered with it

Last edited:
Brand new truck, came from a 2017 F350. 2017 was simple but flawless in the way the Sync worked. This 2021 SUCKS. Station presets move all over the place on the screen, yet stay fixed on the hard buttons. Bluetooth MICROPHONE volume is so low it is unusable. This is regardless of Bluetooth or CarPlay connections. How can a truck, or any vehicle, with an $80k MSRP roll out so flawed. This is the daily interface with the vehicle, and it does not function. I have told the dealer, but will not take it in to have this and that torn apart to replace stuff, when what I read her and elsewhere, is that it can’t be fixed. Has anyone had success with this system? I tried all the resets, delete waze etc, to no avail.
Besides this, truck is a giant improvement over the 17. Transmission is outstanding.
I have the exact same issues, It's quite maddening.

I have the exact issue with the presets!!

0F844534-3C74-4959-87AA-E3B692635793.jpeg

Latest Discussions

Back