Sync 3 SUCKS!

Sfjakey

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor
First Responder
Fireman
Brand new truck, came from a 2017 F350. 2017 was simple but flawless in the way the Sync worked. This 2021 SUCKS. Station presets move all over the place on the screen, yet stay fixed on the hard buttons. Bluetooth MICROPHONE volume is so low it is unusable. This is regardless of Bluetooth or CarPlay connections. How can a truck, or any vehicle, with an $80k MSRP roll out so flawed. This is the daily interface with the vehicle, and it does not function. I have told the dealer, but will not take it in to have this and that torn apart to replace stuff, when what I read her and elsewhere, is that it can’t be fixed. Has anyone had success with this system? I tried all the resets, delete waze etc, to no avail.
Besides this, truck is a giant improvement over the 17. Transmission is outstanding.

I don't have any of those problems. You probably have some weird settings. Maybe the dealer could re flash it.

This is actually the first vehicle I've had where making hands free phone calls people can actually hear me...implying microphone is working great.

SYNC 3 is outdated, and it's bullshit that they but it in the 2021, but it works fine. My only gremlin with it is when using the Pandora app wirelessly it's a total crapshoot. Sometimes it works fine and other times it plays music fine but the display says "buffering" even though it's not and won't show the artist/station details.

I'd take it back to the dealer, have a tech sit in and demonstrate that the bluetooth microphone isn't working. Something sounds wrong. Not sure what to tell you though if you don't want to take it in.

No doubt Sync3 is glitchy for some, especially when it comes to CarPlay. When connected via bluetooth my handsfree is flawless. I have asked numerous callers how I sound on their end and they consistently say they can't tell I'm on hands free. Duplex conversation is normal and sound is perfect. I do have the random radio preset shuffle but I don't even use them. I use the voice comment button on the steering and just say the name of the station I want and it works every time. It's amazing what all can be controlled with the voice commend button.

I think I'd get the truck in for a look. Could be something wrong at the wire connection or something else as simple.

In all of my vehicles I pretty much only use CarPlay (with wireless adapter), and almost never touch any of the factory screens.

In the Tremor I have noticed some minor bugs depending on the iPhone I’m using. On my latest generation, fully up-to-date phone, it seems to work perfectly. I can’t think of any issues.

Yep. I have the same issues with the buttons on screen moving around and showing the wrong presets.
The microphone volume is acceptable on Bluetooth but is absolutely worthless on CarPlay.

I wonder if y’all are experiencing a device or protocol prioritization issue if your phone is connected via regular Bluetooth AND CarPlay.

Brand new truck, came from a 2017 F350. 2017 was simple but flawless in the way the Sync worked. This 2021 SUCKS. Station presets move all over the place on the screen, yet stay fixed on the hard buttons. Bluetooth MICROPHONE volume is so low it is unusable. This is regardless of Bluetooth or CarPlay connections. How can a truck, or any vehicle, with an $80k MSRP roll out so flawed. This is the daily interface with the vehicle, and it does not function. I have told the dealer, but will not take it in to have this and that torn apart to replace stuff, when what I read her and elsewhere, is that it can’t be fixed. Has anyone had success with this system? I tried all the resets, delete waze etc, to no avail.
Besides this, truck is a giant improvement over the 17. Transmission is outstanding.
Have you tried using the voice command for various things like temp change and radio station changes, etc? If that works well with a normal voice while driving I would say the microphones are working. If you have to shout to get a proper response than the mics or mic connections may need addressed. Just trying to narrow down a root cause.

I don't have any of those problems. You probably have some weird settings. Maybe the dealer could re flash it.

This is actually the first vehicle I've had where making hands free phone calls people can actually hear me...implying microphone is working great.

SYNC 3 is outdated, and it's bullshit that they but it in the 2021, but it works fine. My only gremlin with it is when using the Pandora app wirelessly it's a total crapshoot. Sometimes it works fine and other times it plays music fine but the display says "buffering" even though it's not and won't show the artist/station details.

I'd take it back to the dealer, have a tech sit in and demonstrate that the bluetooth microphone isn't working. Something sounds wrong. Not sure what to tell you though if you don't want to take it in.
Agreed it’s a crap shoot with apps playing. Sometimes all works well and shows up on screen other times says app connected but blank screen.Have to go back into app close and reopen and radio ‘’MIGHT’’ find it again.

I DONT HAVE A SINGLE ONE OF THOSE ISSUE EITHER..

Have you tried using the voice command for various things like temp change and radio station changes, etc? If that works well with a normal voice while driving I would say the microphones are working. If you have to shout to get a proper response than the mics or mic connections may need addressed. Just trying to narrow down a root cause.
I might add that the only app installed on the system is Pandora. I have to wander if some apps are not very compatible and may cause other issues. I've experienced the same kind of issues when adding various apps to my Windows 10 computer.

My mic volume is too low, first thing I noticed after buying the truck. People having trouble hearing me. 2021 with iPhone
Try disconnection CarPlay and just use it with bluetooth connection. Mine works perfect this way.

Edit: I honestly have no use for Apple CarPLay anyway. I text, email and make calls with my phone and that's about it.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's a blessing to both be a Luddite and have low expectations. My Sirius and Nav work - I'm quite satisfied.
Best of all it is the same as my dearly departed F150 so no learning involved.

I have a 2021 F-350 that a got last month And also have the issues with the presets jumping around. Has anyone gotten this resolved? I was going to have Ford look at it when I did my first oil change.

Try disconnection CarPlay and just use it with bluetooth connection. Mine works perfect this way.
this...

I've heard it's a apple car play thing. I suspect that when plugged in, it's actually the phone's mic that is being used rather than the truck's.

Same here.

The only problems I've had were due to the settings on the phone. I did not allow the needed permissions in the phone to let things work properly. I'd tell you what I did to fix it but I didn't take notes when the dealer walked me through it. Everything works just fine off of my Samsung Galaxy S20 something or other. It's all wireless.

No, there is one problem. Sync 3 doesn't read Russian very well. It's accent is worse than mine.

Latest Discussions

Back