Swim, bike, or run? Or any of those?

It’s interesting how geography affects goals. East of the Rockies people judge their progress in miles ridden, west it’s vertical feet climbed. Both just as tough, but completely different.
So true! I’m jealous of your mountains…and we ain’t flat!

What sports do you do?
IMG_2055.jpeg

On that rare occasion when I have to "keep"

I am a former triathlon guy. Longest was a couple of 70.3, Florida and Branson. After moving to Florida I grew bored of cycling on the road, I am a hill climber at heart and the flat constant grind with no reward of a 50mph downhill burned me out. I should also mention there was hardly a ride where I did not feel my life was at risk due to the distracted Florida drivers.

I still mountain bike and got my kids into it so that makes it even more rewarding. I would love to find a true Xterra off-road style triathlon with Swim, Mountain Bike, Trail Run for my family and I to participate in.

Luckily near the end of my triathlon days I feel in love with trail running. I think the more simple, shorts, shoes (Luna sandals), and water made it feel more pure compared to all of the gear I "needed" for triathlon. I have run a few ultras now with my longest being 52 miles.

Any sort of endurance sport can certainly fill
an addictive personality.

I am a former triathlon guy. Longest was a couple of 70.3, Florida and Branson. After moving to Florida I grew bored of cycling on the road, I am a hill climber at heart and the flat constant grind with no reward of a 50mph downhill burned me out. I should also mention there was hardly a ride where I did not feel my life was at risk due to the distracted Florida drivers.

I still mountain bike and got my kids into it so that makes it even more rewarding. I would love to find a true Xterra off-road style triathlon with Swim, Mountain Bike, Trail Run for my family and I to participate in.

Luckily near the end of my triathlon days I feel in love with trail running. I think the more simple, shorts, shoes (Luna sandals), and water made it feel more pure compared to all of the gear I "needed" for triathlon. I have run a few ultras now with my longest being 52 miles.

Any sort of endurance sport can certainly fill
an addictive personality.
Damn! 52 mile run is for not for the weak heated!!

I hear you on the whole long and flat - that’s not my bag. The hills are an adventure, and really reward the downhills.

I run and hike and play just about any sports I can find a league for (basketball, softball, flag football, volleyball, pickleball and kickball are the most frequent though). That said as of late I have been doing a lot of Orangetheory. It’s nice to have the accountability of someone yelling at me to workout/run/row/etc.! Hahaha

Awwww yea!! Looks at all the folks coming out! This is a great motivational thread for me.

I’m not on Zwift anymore, @Charlie_Bravo , but I use FulGaz during the winter months. All rode bike for the moment, but really looking forward trying some mountain biking. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into the Kokopelli trail. I think that could be fun.

For tri, I started sprints a while back, and found them to be pretty intense - but man, do I get worked up. I had to really chill out during that swim to avoid drowning.

I was worked hard and finally tried (and successfully) finished a 70.3. I signed up for IM Lake Tremblant, but COVID happened and the borders closed. Now working towards Lake Placid, 140.6.
They just released an Ironman Alaska, sounds fun! They have grizzlies chasing you at all the transitions!
mom looking to do my first Ironman after my 100 miler trail race. Need to do a tremor Ironman meet up.
this Buffalo Springs 70.3 was tough. I do the same thing in the swim. Like I’m trying to pull a tugboat 1.2 miles. If I don’t drown, I have zero doubts that I can finish.

I run. Just a 5k 3 times a week, not like some of you. Running sucks with bad knees, but cycling is worse for my specific issues.

Used to crosstrain pre-covid, but closed gyms meant I needed to find something else. New shoes is all I needed to get back to it.

It is also a mental health thing for me... wife even commented on it just today (allergies had put me out for a week). I guess I was a grump.

Anyone into swimming, cycling, or running? I am moving into my training program and have begun cycling regular again. Not sure anyone else is into such activities.

If so - let’s chat it up.

kinda getting sick of getting hurt but I’ve raced enduro mtb for quite a while. Either expert or pro class. Probably jump back into a little endurance XC next year with the grand junction offroad 40, and probably a couple of the more mellow enduro races. I road bike in the off season a lot and spend quite a bit of time on a trainer.

They just released an Ironman Alaska, sounds fun! They have grizzlies chasing you at all the transitions!
mom looking to do my first Ironman after my 100 miler trail race. Need to do a tremor Ironman meet up.
this Buffalo Springs 70.3 was tough. I do the same thing in the swim. Like I’m trying to pull a tugboat 1.2 miles. If I don’t drown, I have zero doubts that I can finish.
Alaska may be one for me to consider. It’s a heck of a travel plan, though. It looks so beautiful!

I do crossfit 5 days a week, trial run, kyack, or ruck in the evenings when I am not playing taxi for the kids sports..did 4 5 mile rucks with 45lbs last week. Hunting season is almost upon us..my game time.
That’s coming my way too. October 1 is bow. November 13 is rifle. I don’t carry 45 lbs though - maybe I should weigh my gear…oh man. I bet I carry just less than that on day one. Day two I leave all the “may need” stuff back at camp. Lol in Vermont you can get away with that mostly.

I started Road biking about 12 years ago and I ride pretty much every day. I like distance, but hills not as much. I bought a MTN Bike two years ago, still trying to get into that, it's lot harder, I like fire roads more than single track. We moved to ID in April and the Boise River has a trail along it, mostly paved, so I got a Fitness/Trail bike. Like to ride it a lot, plus wife likes to ride on it as well.
IMG_4093.jpg

I started Road biking about 12 years ago and I ride pretty much every day. I like distance, but hills not as much. I bought a MTN Bike two years ago, still trying to get into that, it's lot harder, I like fire roads more than single track. We moved to ID in April and the Boise River has a trail along it, mostly paved, so I got a Fitness/Trail bike. Like to ride it a lot, plus wife likes to ride on it as well. View attachment 33806
Very nice!! Domaine SLR is a sweet bike. That color is sweet! Love that sticker too! Reminds me of my Gary Fisher stem cap, “work and no play is no fun at all”

I really was eyeballing those when I bought the émonda SL6. It was my first rode bike, and the craaaazy light frame sold me. I think if I had more coin I still would go for the Domaine and not the Speed Concept just due to the riding options with family and friends.

Very nice!! Domaine SLR is a sweet bike. That color is sweet! Love that sticker too! Reminds me of my Gary Fisher stem cap, “work and no play is no fun at all”

I really was eyeballing those when I bought the émonda SL6. It was my first rode bike, and the craaaazy light frame sold me. I think if I had more coin I still would go for the Domaine and not the Speed Concept just due to the riding options with family and friends.
I went with the Domaine on the LBS recommendation, its Treks "endurance" or distance bike. It is a P1, I had ordered it, so they let you put a personalization on it, so the quote is not a sticker, I had to come up with something clever that someone else hadn't used. So I thought that was true of my riding daily and really for daily life. It's all of 14.4 lbs with speedplay pedals. The Emonda is very sweet as well, I had looked at it when it came out, but for comfort I stuck with the Domaine.

Couple random shots of my fatties...

Attachments

• 16316222585083124321854796784409.jpg
    16316222585083124321854796784409.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 16316224056543364823303356235334.jpg
    16316224056543364823303356235334.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 16316224979311547002611157706466.jpg
    16316224979311547002611157706466.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 16316225285106310413250934276909.jpg
    16316225285106310413250934276909.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 16316226831695204412662370970280.jpg
    16316226831695204412662370970280.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 27
I went with the Domaine on the LBS recommendation, its Treks "endurance" or distance bike. It is a P1, I had ordered it, so they let you put a personalization on it, so the quote is not a sticker, I had to come up with something clever that someone else hadn't used. So I thought that was true of my riding daily and really for daily life. It's all of 14.4 lbs with speedplay pedals. The Emonda is very sweet as well, I had looked at it when it came out, but for comfort I stuck with the Domaine.
Awww! Project 1? Very sexy.

Back