Votes: 64 30.2%
  • F-250 Tremor Diesel

Votes: 56 26.4%
  • F-350 Tremor Gasser

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • F-350 Tremor Diesel

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
New F350 6.7L HO Tremor ordered as a reliable grocery getter and uparmoring for assured transport during future zombie apocalypse (a consideration missing from the OP Venn diagram).

New F350 6.7L HO Tremor ordered as a reliable grocery getter and uparmoring for assured transport during future zombie apocalypse (a consideration missing from the OP Venn diagram).
Yeah, I stuck to the known contingencies, like gov regulation, and only hinted at SHTF scenarios, but a consideration for voting. 🍻

Actually, thinking about it, I'd like to hear from the 350 owners and what they use theirs for. Seems like a lot of truck for what's meant to be an offroad toy.
I use mine for a gooseneck hauling a couple real offroad toys, jeeps, over the Rockies to Moab, the Rubicon in California or anywhere else I want to wheel. I also commute to work with it when my summer toys get put away.

The 350 is significantly cheaper for me to do my yearly registration on also.

Actually, thinking about it, I'd like to hear from the 350 owners and what they use theirs for. Seems like a lot of truck for what's meant to be an offroad toy.
I would argue a Tremor isn’t meant to be an off-road toy. :) While yes, it’s more off-road oriented than an FX4, it’s not fundamentally different, shown by the fact the Tremor retains most of the towing/hauling capability of the FX4.

The 250/350 Tremor choice boils down to two things, since they are mechanically identical: registration cost (some states will nail you for the higher GVWR of the 350) and whether you need maximum payload capacity (get the 350) or maximum non-CDL towing capacity (get the 250).

I got the 350 for the payload capacity, even though I have the 7.3L, because in my life payload capacity will almost always be the limitation. Especially since I got my truck fairly loaded on options.

Want to haul a travel trailer with full family and gear? Easy to bump against payload capacity, even with 2500 pounds of it.

Want to use a slide-in camper, even a lightweight one (e.g. Four Wheel Camper)? Easy to bump against payload capacity once you add one or more other people, water, extra fuel, food, clothing, recovery gear, etc.

Want to go skiing with 4 other guys, carrying all of the gear along with my daily carry for Search and Rescue (table, chairs, extra water, small chainsaw, winching recovery gear, etc)? Again, payload weight adds up fast.

And I want to stay within the stickered GVWR (otherwise a 250 Tremor would work since it’s mechanically a 350).

I would argue a Tremor isn’t meant to be an off-road toy. :) While yes, it’s more off-road oriented than an FX4, it’s not fundamentally different, shown by the fact the Tremor retains most of the towing/hauling capability of the FX4.

The 250/350 Tremor choice boils down to two things, since they are mechanically identical: registration cost (some states will nail you for the higher GVWR of the 350) and whether you need maximum payload capacity (get the 350) or maximum non-CDL towing capacity (get the 250).

I got the 350 for the payload capacity, even though I have the 7.3L, because in my life payload capacity will almost always be the limitation. Especially since I got my truck fairly loaded on options.

Want to haul a travel trailer with full family and gear? Easy to bump against payload capacity, even with 2500 pounds of it.

Want to use a slide-in camper, even a lightweight one (e.g. Four Wheel Camper)? Easy to bump against payload capacity once you add one or more other people, water, extra fuel, food, clothing, recovery gear, etc.

Want to go skiing with 4 other guys, carrying all of the gear along with my daily carry for Search and Rescue (table, chairs, extra water, small chainsaw, winching recovery gear, etc)? Again, payload weight adds up fast.

And I want to stay within the stickered GVWR (otherwise a 250 Tremor would work since it’s mechanically a 350).
So far pretty much all the comments have been about payload and towing. Which brings me to my original point, more or less, the Tremors don't have the tow and payload capacity of the non-tremor trucks. Why, if you're not taking them off road, bother get a Tremor vs just a regular F350?

The Diesel f350 in non-Tremor spec is like 37,000# towing versus the Tremor's 22,000#. The payload is higher, 4,300# (or something) vs 2,500#. You get the rear sway bar in the standard model. You get tire which are more adept to towing and carrying weight. About the only thing the Tremor does give you is the front LSD which isn't much use on road (snow conditions aside).

I can understand someone getting a F350 Tremor if they're doing a slide-in camper and overloading these trucks. But just normal towing to a destination with a Jeep on the back seems like the wrong truck.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone for wanting a tremor. They're sweet trucks and different folks different strokes. But there are better equipped vehicles for some of the things people try to use these for.

If you live in a state where the 350 is less expensive to register than a 250 then that's a whole different topic.

Just my $.035 adjusted for inflation...

I drive a '22 Tremor 350 6.7 and it is the finest, strongest, fastest best towing SD I have owned and I've owned many starting back '99 when I special ordered a 250 V10.

Had 2 gassers out of many diesel SD's, one being the '99 V10 and the other a '14 250 6.2. The '14 was a work truck and the V10 was a daily driver. Traded the V10 for a 7.3 in 2000 and never went back to a gasser for a personal truck. The V10 was OK at towing 10-12K and would pass everything empty except a gas station.. Just sold the '14 gasser and glad that gutless wonder is in someone else's driveway.

We own a commercial sitework business where we move our CTL's and mini-ex on a regular basis. Total trailer weight is 13-15K depending on attachments. My '22 Tremor 6.7 is a beast compared to the '18 350 6.7 it replaced.

I need a truck that can carry 90 gals of diesel, full tool box and other crap in the bed across rough job sites then get on the HWY and pull 15K down the road to the next job. The 350 6.7 Tremor checks all those boxes, does it very well and looks bad ass while doing it.

The Diesel f350 in non-Tremor spec is like 37,000# towing versus the Tremor's 22,000#. The payload is higher, 4,300# (or something) vs 2,500#.
I want to address these specifics before addressing your broader point.

On the specific numbers, the F-350 Tremor is surprisingly close to its non-Tremor cousin. The Super Duty platform maxes out at 37,000 pounds towing (give or take), but to get that you need a specifically configured F-450. A SRW Super Duty, regardless of Tremor, is much lower.

Looking at the 2022 towing guide on page 28, the towing capacity of a diesel, SRW F-350 with the most aggressive rear gears (3.55, what the Tremor comes with) the maximum towing capacities are:
  • Non-Tremor (4x2): 22,400 pounds.
  • Non-Tremor (4x4): 21,900 pounds.
  • Tremor: 21,800 pounds.
So at most you're losing 500 pounds of rated towing capacity if you would have purchased a 2WD truck, but only 100 pounds comparing to a non-Tremor 4WD truck.

Towing capacity goes up considerably if you get a dually, but lots of folks want a SRW truck because it's more practical when not towing. So a dually isn't really comparable in this case.

There's two complicating factors for payload:
  1. Cab/bed configuration. The Tremor is only available with crew cab/short bed. The maximum payload configuration is regular cab/short bed. Those aren't really comparable. Lots of folks want a crew cab/short bed truck.
  2. Options. How you option your truck can massively sway available payload, since accessories and options have weight. An XL work truck with no options will likely have 1000-1500 pounds more payload capacity than a loaded Lariat or King Ranch (assuming the same cab/bed configuration and GVWR). The Tremor forces you to at minimum an XLT or Lariat (depending on the time you're looking at). XLT and Lariat are the most popular trims that Ford sells, so most people aren't getting the maximum available payload anyways.
So, assuming we're comparing two trucks with the same cab/bed configuration and optioned similarly, how much payload does the Tremor package lose? It comes down to GVWR and curb weight.

Assuming no de-rates, the GVWR of a diesel F-350 Tremor is 11,500 pounds. According to page 14 of the 2022 towing guide, the highest available GVWR for a diesel, F-350, crew cab, short bed is...11,500 pounds. That whole page is with the camper package, so it obviously doesn't get you additional GVWR.

The Tremor sacrifices a couple of hundred pounds (at most) to increased curb weight from the front limited slip and the larger, heavier tires. So ballpark the Tremor package loses 200 pounds of payload capacity compared to a similarly equipped non-Tremor truck.

Now that we have realistic numbers, onto your main point. :)

So far pretty much all the comments have been about payload and towing. Which brings me to my original point, more or less, the Tremors don't have the tow and payload capacity of the non-tremor trucks. Why, if you're not taking them off road, bother get a Tremor vs just a regular F350?

The Diesel f350 in non-Tremor spec is like 37,000# towing versus the Tremor's 22,000#. The payload is higher, 4,300# (or something) vs 2,500#. You get the rear sway bar in the standard model. You get tire which are more adept to towing and carrying weight. About the only thing the Tremor does give you is the front LSD which isn't much use on road (snow conditions aside).

I can understand someone getting a F350 Tremor if they're doing a slide-in camper and overloading these trucks. But just normal towing to a destination with a Jeep on the back seems like the wrong truck.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone for wanting a tremor. They're sweet trucks and different folks different strokes. But there are better equipped vehicles for some of the things people try to use these for.
So why go for the F-350 Tremor diesel? Lots of reasons, assuming you were already in the market for a mid-trim Super Duty crew cab/short bed.

It has factory 35" tires without needing to mess with the speedometer, clearances, or suspension - in part thanks to the 2" higher ride height the Tremor package gets you. This makes it better for forest roads, rough job sites, and/or ranch/farm work. As part of over-preparedness, it has the higher water fording capability and limited slip differential.

Meanwhile you've only lost 100 pounds of towing capacity and a couple hundred pounds of payload capacity! Not a bad trade.

Now, you're correct that a rear sway bar will make the truck better handle heavy weights (towing or payload). But that can be added aftermarket easy enough. If the Tremor's factory tires meet a buyer's needs, they can be saving a pretty significant amount of money by adding the sway bar aftermarket.

As for the tires not being optimal for towing/hauling. I mean yes, there are better options if you're purely highway. But lots of folks with Tremors aren't purely highway. Even for Tremor owners who are, that's a conversation far more broad than the Tremor when it comes to modifications that reduce functionality in the name of looks. Have you seen the number of trucks with mud terrain tires that tow heavy and never see dirt? :)

If you live in a state where the 350 is less expensive to register than a 250 then that's a whole different topic.
You specifically were asking about the F-350 diesel. This statement doesn't change if it's a diesel or gas truck, since the GVWR is over 10,000 pounds. That's when states will jump their registration costs. It's also not Tremor specific anymore, and is now a "why get an F-350?" question.

I want to address these specifics before addressing your broader point.

On the specific numbers, the F-350 Tremor is surprisingly close to its non-Tremor cousin. The Super Duty platform maxes out at 37,000 pounds towing (give or take), but to get that you need a specifically configured F-450. A SRW Super Duty, regardless of Tremor, is much lower.

Looking at the 2022 towing guide on page 28, the towing capacity of a diesel, SRW F-350 with the most aggressive rear gears (3.55, what the Tremor comes with) the maximum towing capacities are:
  • Non-Tremor (4x2): 22,400 pounds.
  • Non-Tremor (4x4): 21,900 pounds.
  • Tremor: 21,800 pounds.
So at most you're losing 500 pounds of rated towing capacity if you would have purchased a 2WD truck, but only 100 pounds comparing to a non-Tremor 4WD truck.

Towing capacity goes up considerably if you get a dually, but lots of folks want a SRW truck because it's more practical when not towing. So a dually isn't really comparable in this case.

There's two complicating factors for payload:
  1. Cab/bed configuration. The Tremor is only available with crew cab/short bed. The maximum payload configuration is regular cab/short bed. Those aren't really comparable. Lots of folks want a crew cab/short bed truck.
  2. Options. How you option your truck can massively sway available payload, since accessories and options have weight. An XL work truck with no options will likely have 1000-1500 pounds more payload capacity than a loaded Lariat or King Ranch (assuming the same cab/bed configuration and GVWR). The Tremor forces you to at minimum an XLT or Lariat (depending on the time you're looking at). XLT and Lariat are the most popular trims that Ford sells, so most people aren't getting the maximum available payload anyways.
So, assuming we're comparing two trucks with the same cab/bed configuration and optioned similarly, how much payload does the Tremor package lose? It comes down to GVWR and curb weight.

Assuming no de-rates, the GVWR of a diesel F-350 Tremor is 11,500 pounds. According to page 14 of the 2022 towing guide, the highest available GVWR for a diesel, F-350, crew cab, short bed is...11,500 pounds. That whole page is with the camper package, so it obviously doesn't get you additional GVWR.

The Tremor sacrifices a couple of hundred pounds (at most) to increased curb weight from the front limited slip and the larger, heavier tires. So ballpark the Tremor package loses 200 pounds of payload capacity compared to a similarly equipped non-Tremor truck.

Now that we have realistic numbers, onto your main point. :)

So why go for the F-350 Tremor diesel? Lots of reasons, assuming you were already in the market for a mid-trim Super Duty crew cab/short bed.

It has factory 35" tires without needing to mess with the speedometer, clearances, or suspension - in part thanks to the 2" higher ride height the Tremor package gets you. This makes it better for forest roads, rough job sites, and/or ranch/farm work. As part of over-preparedness, it has the higher water fording capability and limited slip differential.

Meanwhile you've only lost 100 pounds of towing capacity and a couple hundred pounds of payload capacity! Not a bad trade.

Now, you're correct that a rear sway bar will make the truck better handle heavy weights (towing or payload). But that can be added aftermarket easy enough. If the Tremor's factory tires meet a buyer's needs, they can be saving a pretty significant amount of money by adding the sway bar aftermarket.

As for the tires not being optimal for towing/hauling. I mean yes, there are better options if you're purely highway. But lots of folks with Tremors aren't purely highway. Even for Tremor owners who are, that's a conversation far more broad than the Tremor when it comes to modifications that reduce functionality in the name of looks. Have you seen the number of trucks with mud terrain tires that tow heavy and never see dirt? :)

You specifically were asking about the F-350 diesel. This statement doesn't change if it's a diesel or gas truck, since the GVWR is over 10,000 pounds. That's when states will jump their registration costs. It's also not Tremor specific anymore, and is now a "why get an F-350?" question.
Completely agree that you aren’t loosing much towing capacity with the Tremor with vs other SRW cab configurations. Shoot the Tremor still lists 100lbs more max towing than the CCLB which is considered more stable for towing with the extra length.

I also take the listed maximum towing #s with a grain of salt. Real life can really be much lower since on top of options have to factor in passengers and gear which can really eat up payload pretty quickly. Using the towing guide my maximum towing is listed at 20K F350 7.3L Tremor. Real life with options passengers and gear and a 15% pin weight max out at 16K towing capacity. My loaded weight without a trailer is just under 8900Lbs. That is with a full fuel tank, full 58 gallon transfer tank, and the Family. Dropping to a F250 Tremor assuming everything weighs the same would max out at a measly 7333 lbs towing with 15% pin weight. That makes the F350 make a lot more sense in my case. Even in a diesel the F350 would mak more sense since it will add considerable towing capacity vs the F250 due to extra capacity needed for passengers and truck cargo. Using actual #s and assuming that the diesel weighs 800lbs more it would be at about a 12K max towing F350 diesel vs the same 7333 with a F250 diesel.

I realize not everyone has to travel with everything including the kitchen sink but those who do the F350 makes a lot of sense.

Guys, this is all a bit silly-no offense. You have different people buying these trucks with different needs. If I were towing heavy loads constantly, a F350 6.7 would be my bet. Towing occasionally, as I do, F250 7.3, occasional off roading and camping, F150 is fine. They are all great trucks, but size doesn't fit all ;)

Completely agree that you aren’t loosing much towing capacity with the Tremor with vs other SRW cab configurations. Shoot the Tremor still lists 100lbs more max towing than the CCLB which is considered more stable for towing with the extra length.

I also take the listed maximum towing #s with a grain of salt. Real life can really be much lower since on top of options have to factor in passengers and gear which can really eat up payload pretty quickly. Using the towing guide my maximum towing is listed at 20K F350 7.3L Tremor. Real life with options passengers and gear and a 15% pin weight max out at 16K towing capacity. My loaded weight without a trailer is just under 8900Lbs. That is with a full fuel tank, full 58 gallon transfer tank, and the Family. Dropping to a F250 Tremor assuming everything weighs the same would max out at a measly 7333 lbs towing with 15% pin weight. That makes the F350 make a lot more sense in my case. Even in a diesel the F350 would mak more sense since it will add considerable towing capacity vs the F250 due to extra capacity needed for passengers and truck cargo. Using actual #s and assuming that the diesel weighs 800lbs more it would be at about a 12K max towing F350 diesel vs the same 7333 with a F250 diesel.

I realize not everyone has to travel with everything including the kitchen sink but those who do the F350 makes a lot of sense.
I thought the f-250 was mechanically the same as the 350 (same rear axle and suspension)? How can the towing for a 350 be 16k and the 250 7333k?

Why, if you're not taking them off road, bother get a Tremor vs just a regular F350?
For me, I wanted the better ride (I've driven both for comparison) and the Tremor package gave me the 350 rear end in a 250 saving a few bucks since I don't need the extra legal payload. Yes, I could've bought an FX4 and then new wheels, running boards, etc but at then end of the day the price would not have been that different and it would always be a faux Tremor ;)

in part thanks to the 2" higher ride height the Tremor package gets you
I thought the 2" total included the increase due to tire diameter?

How can the towing for a 350 be 16k and the 250 7333k
Payload limits with his particular setup at 8900lbs curb. An F250 at 10k GVWR only leaves him 1100lbs available for trailer tongue weight. 1100/.15 = 7333lbs

Likewise, a 350 at 11.3k GVWR would provide 2400/.15 = 16000lbs

For me, I wanted the better ride (I've driven both for comparison) and the Tremor package gave me the 350 rear end in a 250 saving a few bucks since I don't need the extra legal payload. Yes, I could've bought an FX4 and then new wheels, running boards, etc but at then end of the day the price would not have been that different and it would always be a faux Tremor ;)

Payload limits with his particular setup at 8900lbs curb. An F250 at 10k GVWR only leaves him 1100lbs available for trailer tongue weight. 1100/.15 = 7333lbs

Haha oh wow, thanks, that’s a great explanation, was wondering how all that tongue weight stuff worked. But that’s just “on paper” correct, for legal purposes? Functionally they are identical?

Haha oh wow, thanks, that’s a great explanation, was wondering how all that tongue weight stuff worked. But that’s just “on paper” correct, for legal purposes? Functionally they are identical?
For a full guide to how all the math works, check out my guide right here on the forum! Includes examples, definitions and everything. :)

Ohh ya I think you’re right. So 1” lift. Still plays a part in fitting the 35’s. :p

Correct.

Thanks you beat me to it but shows how quick that extra sticker weight comes into play especially if pulling something that might get you weighed by DOT enforcement officer. Probably doesn’t apply to a large amount of people but needs to take into account when figuring what you can tow if you want to follow the laws and liability.

Back