Surviving COVID

For something more lighthearted:

Anyone ever read Animal Farm???
This vid nails it.....Animal Farm Yep, read it years ago...George Orwell was right...it’s happening. Beetle Juice....I say the people 100% deserve the snakes they elected.

Last edited:
We got our first covid case in weeks yesterday. A hotel cleaner working at a quarantine hotel picked it up. They say the strain came from the US. None of her family have tested positive, and she wore a mask in public. Hoping now no one she came into contact with has caught the virus. Fingers crossed.

We get one to two notices a week that someone where I work has it and we may have been exposed. We the ground level workers keep on working.

Just some perspective from a different person who is tasked with responding to the virus. Yes people get it. The older and unhealthier you are the more likely you will have severe symptoms. The virus is spreading by our date in homes via close contact with relatives or house mates (80% of cases). We have been tasked with going to the nursing homes and pulling out the severely I'll to send to the hospital. Many of these places have almost all of the residents and staff infected (close contact with house mates). Many of these places when I have entered them have staff and patients that are not wearing a mask at all much less an N95 despite it being required.

Here is what works. Wash your hands. Stay away from people. And if you are going to hang out with people, make sure they are following simple rules too. Masks only work to protect the wearer and these must be an appropriate N95 mask, worn correctly and each different brand you may use must also be tested on you personally before use (respiratory programs call this fit testing). Cloth face coverings do almost nothing to prevent the majority of spread. They do prevent a very small percentage of spread vectors but not in enough of a chance to actually stop the virus overall or slow it down. And this is countered by the fact that now random strangers have no issue walking up to me in the store because they think the mask is makes it safe. Someone said it earlier, the data shows that mandatory masking didn't do much for us. There are a lot of other things people are doing in the "interest of safety" that make no sense. Schools closed, wiping down surfaces after every touch, fog disinfectant, closing business of one type while others remain open and more crowded than ever.....

I have received 2 Covid tests in the course of work and both took 6 weeks to receive results. This was not uncommon in our area. It took two weeks to get antibody results. All were negative. I have received dozens of notices about patients I have dealt with that we later found out to be covid positive. Almost all of those notices came 2 weeks after patient contact. So in a but shell, the testing and contact tracing in our area is useless. In fact our contract tracers have more back logged cases to trace than there are current active virus cases in our county.

That being said, outside of care homes we are not seeing much in the way of severe virus spread. Yes it's real, you can get it and if you were doing the simple things I mentioned you will probably never know how you got it.

Here is some perspective:
650,000/year die from heart disease
500,000/year die from cancer
250,000 people have died from covid
90 children have died from covid
My children are 20x more likely to die from cancer (1800/year) than COVID but are schools are closed and they won't open them here until they can test everyone every week

I don't see us shutting down all the fast food joints, banning smoking, or any extreme measures to prevent the other more prevalent deaths in the us.

So with all this, why trust the government to do anything correct. The answer to all of this locally is to shut more stuff down, to which most people ignore now anyway because it hasn't worked, so why listen. In the meantime our politicians are caught traveling to different areas to dine indoors right after they just banned all dining in their local area ($800 per plate mind you). Our california legislatures just flew to Maui to have a conference but banned gatherings of 12 people or more here.

The government isn't going to solve this problem or many other issues for that matter. They actually have no clue how to even go about it. They told is the shut down would last 3 weeks to flatten the curve and expand capacity. it did squash the curve initially and our government got confident and closed the expanded hospital capacity.

What would work is telling people exactly how to protect themselves and leave it in their own hands. Wash hands, stay away from others especially strangers and if you are an at risk group or have to deal with covid patients or are just plain scared, wear a properly fit tested N95 or better mask.
Thank you for the info ??

Also something to remember. Our friends down under are entering into spring and it's warming up. We are the opposite. Alot of virus reduction will be season dependent and timing. It's getting colder here and we are entering a season where more people will be gathering in doors.

Also my own philosophy on masks is to only wear it when I am forced to. If I don't have it on and someone tries to call me out on it I remind them that the rule only applies of you can't maintain distance. So they should probably get the f away from me if they want to "be safe"....and mind their own business. I wear a mask for my safety not theirs and there are only a few times I need to wear it (mostly at work).
Your an asshole

Hey @modified @driftwoodsvt ... this thread started out nice with some valuable opinion differences being conversed about in a respectful manner. Unfortunately, now, people let their emotions pass the brains and insult each other.
I fear we should close this.

“Cleanup in aisle 5, please, thank you”

D0AA04D4-9A42-484F-9C4C-E45BF406E0C2.png

I’m sorry I even started it. Should have known better
1607303242063.png

Hey @modified @driftwoodsvt ... this thread started out nice with some valuable opinion differences being conversed about in a respectful manner. Unfortunately, now, people let their emotions pass the brains and insult each other.
I fear we should close this.

“Cleanup in aisle 5, please, thank you”

View attachment 10932
It takes more then name call to Hurt most of us I think will be ok just another keyboard tough guy ??

Also something to remember. Our friends down under are entering into spring and it's warming up. We are the opposite. Alot of virus reduction will be season dependent and timing. It's getting colder here and we are entering a season where more people will be gathering in doors.

Also my own philosophy on masks is to only wear it when I am forced to. If I don't have it on and someone tries to call me out on it I remind them that the rule only applies of you can't maintain distance. So they should probably get the f away from me if they want to "be safe"....and mind their own business. I wear a mask for my safety not theirs and there are only a few times I need to wear it (mostly at work).
I missed this post, only just saw it. When this virus first started getting momentum, we were in summer going into autumn. As things started cooling down people were saying that winter would be worse. A lot worse. But it didn’t work out that way, except in one state and only then by incompetence of the state government. Some states were virus free and others were getting there. Things were actually a lot better at the end of winter in all but one state than they were at the end of Autumn. Then again, our winters are far milder than yours. Nowhere in the country is salt used on the roads.

I missed this post, only just saw it. When this virus first started getting momentum, we were in summer going into autumn. As things started cooling down people were saying that winter would be worse. A lot worse. But it didn’t work out that way, except in one state and only then by incompetence of the state government. Some states were virus free and others were getting there. Things were actually a lot better at the end of winter in all but one state than they were at the end of Autumn. Then again, our winters are far milder than yours. Nowhere in the country is salt used on the roads.
A 180 degree difference in seasons and timing makes a difference. Couple that with dramatically different number and type of urban, sub urban and rural settings makes a big difference. All of these things along with culture are not talked about in how the virus spreads.

In our area 75% of total infections are in the hispanic community and a good proportion in the younger portion. Culturally they live in a lot of multi generationally households in communities that regularly gather for social events. Not blaming them, culture is a hard thing to set aside.

Back