Surviving COVID

Doerrby

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Lariat Tremor
02566819-931F-4BBE-910F-4D6170D5AA95.jpeg

Thankfully, at least for now, it’s just a memory for us. No new cases in the last month, no deaths for several months. Hopefully by the end of next year it’s gone for good everywhere. And everyone has their jobs back.

Thankfully, at least for now, it’s just a memory for us. No new cases in the last month, no deaths for several months. Hopefully by the end of next year it’s gone for good everywhere. And everyone has their jobs back.
Lucky you...nothing but new cases and more fear to push the magic vaccine in the US. Fun times...

Wait, what? No new cases where? No deaths where? Are you on a remote island in the middle of the pacific and the only inhabitant?

Wait, what? No new cases where? No deaths where? Are you on a remote island in the middle of the pacific and the only inhabitant?
Wife said today where I live 140 new cases...same old shit

Lucky you...nothing but new cases and more fear to push the magic vaccine in the US. Fun times...
Science = magic? There won't be a broadly available vaccine for the general public until Spring next year. Healthcare workers and risk groups may be lucky and get it first this December/January already, but only very selectively...

Unless you're a doctor at one of those fancy private hospitals in Florida that have a direct deal with Pfizer to be the first to get them...

It’s devastating to hear of how things are going around the world. I am on an online support group for heart attack survivors. Just this morning I was chatting with a woman in the UK who can’t get to see her cardiologist because of this China virus. I saw my cardiologist last week without any problems. Seems the response to the virus can be worse than the virus itself.

Officially we are a continent, on the western side of the Pacific Ocean. I live in a city of over 5 million.

Officially we are a continent, on the western side of the Pacific Ocean. I live in a city of over 5 million.
Oh you’re from down under. I looked in your profile, it wasn’t clear to me before.
Glad you guys got it under control so well!

Sydney is beautiful! My wife joined me for a week there in 2019 on a work-related trip. We had a great time using the excellent water transportation, went to the Sydney Zoo, Manly Lake and took in Westside Story at the Sydney Opera House. We did not get to go to the outback due to my work schedule, but we hope to see it next time we travel to your lovely continent. :cool:

Sydney is beautiful! My wife joined me for a week there in 2019 on a work-related trip. We had a great time using the excellent water transportation, went to the Sydney Zoo, Manly Lake and took in Westside Story at the Sydney Opera House. We did not get to go to the outback due to my work schedule, but we hope to see it next time we travel to your lovely continent. :cool:
Maybe we could catch up, or failing that, happy to point you in the right direction. I believe the best places are those that hardly anyone know about. Unfortunately, it won’t be possible anytime soon. We’re only letting the Kiwis in for now.

My state is shut down because of it. 2000 cases a day is what we were averaging state wide. Me and my girlfriend got it back in July. It's no joke. It really sucks. I was down for 27 days and she was down for 25

This nasty pestilence that China released on the world is not going away anytime soon. The vaccine and new experimental therapeutics might help reduce symptoms and maybe save lives, but like the seasonal flu only much more contagious and deadly, I think covid is here for the long haul. Yep, it sucks.
We don’t even know what the long term effects are on those that have had it and so called ”recovered” from it. How long can someone who’s been diagnosed still shed the virus? And does it lie dormant like other viruses?

China took our country and the world to its knees with no boots on the ground. My brother Veterans who are serving and have served know exactly what biological warfare is. China is in the verge of world economic superiority and devastating the world economy only helps their long term goal. We Americans have been hoodwinked by the crooked politicians, they have sold us out.

Out of respect for 260,000 people that have died here in the US and those that will continue to die horrible lonely deaths gasping for air, I will never find any humor in the topic.
Prayers for those that have lost loved ones and those of us that will.??

It’s far from over.
Be Safe and stay well.

Last edited:
This nasty pestilence that China released on the world is not going away anytime soon. The vaccine and new experimental therapeutics might help reduce symptoms and maybe save lives, but like the seasonal flu only much more contagious and deadly, I think covid is here for the long haul. Yep, it sucks.
We don’t even know what the long term effects are on those that have had it and so called ”recovered” from it. How long can someone who’s been diagnosed still shed the virus? And does it lie dormant like other viruses?

China took our country and the world to its knees with no boots on the ground. My brother Veterans who are serving and have served know exactly what biological warfare is. China is in the verge of world economic superiority and devastating the world economy only helps their long term goal. We Americans have been hoodwinked by the crooked politicians, they have sold us out.

Out of respect for 260,000 people that have died here in the US and those that will continue to die horrible lonely deaths gasping for air, I will never find any humor in the topic.
Prayers for those that have lost loved ones and those of us that will.??

It’s far from over.
Be Safe and stay well.
I agree the effects of COVID are devastating.

Here is what I can tell you. If someone claims to be following the science look at what they have to say with skepticism. Unless they are a scientist and are willing to discuss the science anyone saying "follow the science" should be treated with as much credibility as a used car salesman saying "trust me".

Here is what I believe to be the truth - use your head and challenge it.

Masks generally do not work - maybe for a cough or a sneeze to catch large droplets. Mask manufacturers state on their packaging or in their literature that their products are not effective in preventing the transmission of viruses or other microbes.

We have well over 80% of the country wearing masks, yet we are seeing spikes in positive cases. This is an interesting piece of empirical data that tells me one of 2 things. Either the tests are generating false positives or masks are not working. Since test kits are required to go through a lot testing before they are released to the public, I tend to believe that the infection is spreading regardless of mask use. Would infection rates be higher without using masks? I do not know because I can't conduct a controlled study. The point is the data points to masks being ineffective at controlling the spread of the virus - that is what the data is telling us!

The real issue here is that people expect the government to protect them from the virus. They actually put their faith in what the government tells them to do to avoid contracting COVID. Unfortunately, many government leaders continue to push mask mandates simply because they have no solutions to control the spread of the virus. The people want a solution, and damn it they are going to provide one - whether it works or not. The people on the other hand want to believe there is a solution and cling to their masks because they do not know what else to do.

I believe the truth of the matter is that we cannot control a virus - the virus is going to do what it is going to do. And this virus is going to run its course.

But there are things we can do, and these seem to be having a positive effect. First we have become better at treating people who have contracted the virus. We have new therapies that are currently reducing the mortality rate of those who contract the virus. This is borne out in the data as well.

The second as you all know is the release of vaccines that should enable the body's own immune system to better fight off the virus once we have contracted the virus. We won't know for sure until we have fairly widespread distribution of vaccinated people.

Another factor contributing to lower death rates may be that the virus is attenuating on its own. I am not a virologist and am not even going to try to bullshit you on this but if it is becoming weaker that's a good thing for all involved.

The rest of the story all boils down to simple math but to sum it up quickly. If people who have survived the virus are not susceptible to reinfection and cannot contaminate other people, and people receiving the vaccine do not develop COVID and do not spread the virus, you have that many more people who are not capable of spreading the virus. (I am making assumptions here and want to be clear.) Then you have that many fewer spreaders. As more people survive the virus and more people are vaccinated the virus has fewer "places to go". And that is a good thing.

I do believe once we get through this intense wave we are in right now we will see dramatic drops in infection rates and subsequent waves should be shorter and less intense. The virus will run its course whether you want to hear that or not. So do your best to maintain your health, get plenty of rest so if you do contract the virus you minimize its impacts to your health. If you are at high risk, you do need to try to minimize contact with the virus. The more people you come into contact with, the higher the statistical chances are that you will come into contact with someone that has the virus. Its just math. Same for your family.

If you want more information I suggest you go to https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data and look at critical trends. If you look at different countries you will see the USA (which hopefully is nearing its peak right now) and other countries where the second wave has peaked and they are in a downturn. You can also go to the various states to look at how COVID infections are playing out in your area.

Don't want to be a debbie downer but I feel the stuff the media and some of the governors/mayors are feeding you is simply political - and that they are keeping the science from the people.

Make your own decisions as pertains to your circumstances and be safe and stay healthy - we will get through this together.

Gotta say @shoholasmokin, everything surrounding this virus is what is important, not the fact that one can contract a disease that has a 99.7% survival rate. What necessity is a vaccine for a virus that doesn't kill most people? The answer is $$$; the companies creating them are to make billions.

Many "world leaders" are saying nothing is going back to what it was before. This is akin to a 9/11 on a global scale and things are going to change and a "new normal" will emerge, has emerged. I'm apprehensive concerning the future and what the government is going to force us to do. I see in the not too distant future the only freedom we'll have in the US, if there is one, will be simply slavery. Most will become cogs in the machine, assets that require management by the few elite important with all the power.

Gotta say @shoholasmokin, everything surrounding this virus is what is important, not the fact that one can contract a disease that has a 99.7% survival rate. What necessity is a vaccine for a virus that doesn't kill most people? The answer is $$$; the companies creating them are to make billions.

Many "world leaders" are saying nothing is going back to what it was before. This is akin to a 9/11 on a global scale and things are going to change and a "new normal" will emerge, has emerged. I'm apprehensive concerning the future and what the government is going to force us to do. I see in the not too distant future the only freedom we'll have in the US, if there is one, will be simply slavery. Most will become cogs in the machine, assets that require management by the few elite important with all the power.
Hey man I don't know if you've lost someone to this virus already, but i promise you, even at 99.9999% survival rate, a lot of folks would've loved to save their loved ones by having them vaccinated than have them be part of the 0.000001%.
Of course people make billions of this - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

just my 2 cents.

Hey man I don't know if you've lost someone to this virus already, but i promise you, even at 99.9999% survival rate, a lot of folks would've loved to save their mothers by having them vaccinated than have them be part of the 0.000001%.
Of course people make billions of this - but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

just my 2 cents.
I don't like lies and I don't like assumptions and I don't trust government or people with something to gain by using this virus. That's where I'm coming from.

You yourself are assuming this vaccination is effective and useful. You don't doubt that the vaccine is just BS made for money? These corporations do not have your best interest at heart, yet you seem to believe it would have saved many who have died? I'm not that optimistic, especially when it comes to government.

Too long, didn't read.... sorry @shoholasmokin ;)
OK i was lying i actually did read it. I think you're making some good points, some less so. But it doesn't matter because assumptions are a matter of belief and that can be different from person to person. HOWEVER what I absolutely love about your note is that you recommend the two most important things that are lacking in many folks today (at least that's what it felt like to me):
1. Think critically about everything. The media, your influences, people you follow, people you don't follow, the newspapers. Just inform yourself and be critical of everything in a constructive, rational and logical manner.
2. Go to the right sources for information. While bias exists everywhere, some are inherently more biased and some inherently less. JHU is the #1 go-to source for factual COVID information, unrelated to "solutions" and mostly just about "Tracking" what is going on. This source is widely used not just in the US but across the globe. My team uses it too to make business decisions (let's just say I work at a very large burger restaurant chain).

Thanks @shoholasmokin for reminding people of what is important instead of just regurgitating the right & left media.
Thanks, you hit the nail right on the head. Too many people trying to influence behavior by creating a narrative and repeating it over and over again. Too many people who will not make the effort to use the brain that the good load gave them and just follow the herd. And while I would like to believe the data we get from JHU is pristine, unfortunately it could be colored by those who report the data. That being said its probably as good as it gets.

I don't like lies and I don't like assumptions and I don't trust government or people with something to gain by using this virus. That's where I'm coming from.

You yourself are assuming this vaccination is effective and useful. You don't doubt that the vaccine is just BS made for money? These corporations do not have your best interest at heart, yet you seem to believe it would have saved many who have died? I'm not that optimistic, especially when it comes to government.

Back