Super duty vs ram towing....

Akwagon

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Velocity Blue Tremor 7.3l
Still shopping ram vs super duty tremor. 3/4. Gas. Question. Why does the ram 4.1 axle show high towing then the super duty 4.3 ???

Attachments

• 58417082-E029-4F33-9EDD-12F3DA1E470A.png
    58417082-E029-4F33-9EDD-12F3DA1E470A.png
    615.3 KB · Views: 107
Tremor to normal ram = No brainer. Towing and off-road.

Tremor to Power wagon = No brainer. Towing and off-road.

Still shopping ram vs super duty tremor. 3/4. Gas. Question. Why does the ram 4.1 axle show high towing then the super duty 4.3 ???
Most likely because you are looking at conventional towing on the Ford (15K). Max towing on a F250 Tremor 5er/goose is listed at 17,500. Please note that is for lightest available model most likely a no option added XLT and will go down as you add options above that, but Ford doesn’t easily list how much. The 7.3L SRW variants of the Superduty use a 2.5” receiver that is rated for just a touch over 15K which is probably why conventional towing is limited to 15K. https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

Soooo I’m unsure it’s conventional or not. “Max” good marketing. If you look at the 3.73 gear w ram it drops.
im seeing 15k max tremor towing on that guide above....?

Attachments

• 49B71654-6C4D-4CCA-91F5-0A1C3C63D5A1.png
    49B71654-6C4D-4CCA-91F5-0A1C3C63D5A1.png
    688.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Most likely because you are looking at conventional towing on the Ford (15K). Max towing on a F250 Tremor 5er/goose is listed at 17,500. Please note that is for lightest available model most likely a no option added XLT and will go down as you add options above that, but Ford doesn’t easily list how much. The 7.3L SRW variants of the Superduty use a 2.5” receiver that is rated for just a touch over 15K which is probably why conventional towing is limited to 15K. https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

you might be right. I can’t find where ram clearly separates conventional from 5th wheel.

Soooo I’m 99% sure it’s conventional. If you look at the 3.73 gear w ram it drops.
im seeing 15k max tremor towing on that guide above....?
Interesting, the Ford 2.5” receiver hitch is only rated at about 15,200. Will confirm when I get home. There are times I wish there was a 3” hitch option on the gas SRW’s especially since I have a F350. For now I have been able to track down a gooseneck trailer to use when renting heavier equipment but would be nice having the option to pull a bigger pintle trailer.

The other side of that is payload too. The 7.3 Tremor payload is gonna be within 250 lbs of 4,000 lbs depending on trim and options which trounces what's listed there for the RAM. A stripped down XLT would probably be right at 4k while I have a Lariat/Sport/Ultimate/Dual Battery at 3,761 lbs

payload.jpg

The other side of that is payload too. The 7.3 Tremor payload is gonna be within 250 lbs of 4,000 lbs depending on trim and options which trounces what's listed there for the RAM. A stripped down XLT would probably be right at 4k while I have a Lariat/Sport/Ultimate/Dual Battery at 3,761 lbs

View attachment 9897

your comparing a f350 to a ram 2500. Not the same

If your interested in towing you should be looking at F350 Tremors. First of all, the F250 Tremor and the F350 Tremor are bolt for bolt, the same exact truck. but your cargo capacity will be almost 800 LBS greater as certified by Ford. Now mind you this is the Tremor, and not other variants of superduties which DO have differences between the 250 and the 350!!

The other side of that is payload too. The 7.3 Tremor payload is gonna be within 250 lbs of 4,000 lbs depending on trim and options which trounces what's listed there for the RAM.

Yep its pretty much useless to look at max towing capacity, its always the payload that hits you in the neck before you even get close to max tow... And there is a clear advantage to the ford here... We currently have a RAM 1500 and im very happy, however knowing being overloaded we had to upgrade... I had my eyes on getting a RAM3500 with the HO Aisin diesel, however since our airstream is "only" 7500lbs and we are not towing it every day, after reading up on the 7.3 I decided to go Ford instead... there was no way I'd get the RAM gas as a towing vehicle but the Ford gas made so much sense for us... and our F350 gas will have close to 4k payload so when towing I can throw all the stuff we could possibly need on the back and don't have to worry about payload ever again... I even ordered a RSI Smartcap to be able to use the bedspace even more... and I wont have to bother about diesel, which is ~40ct more around here, def, maintenance as much...

WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER WANT TO OWN A RAM?????

SERIOUS QUESTION....

Interior RAM over Ford anytime... it looks just so much more refined and luxurious.
Diesel Cummins over Powerstroke anytime... nothing beats I6 low end torque...

Interior RAM over Ford anytime... it looks just so much more refined and luxurious.
Diesel Cummins over Powerstroke anytime... nothing beats I6 low end torque...

So you base your truck purchase on a fancy interior??

I just dont get it. To me the Ram is a turd with some gold spray paint on it.

Sure the Cummins is a fantastic option no question, but its still a good engine attached to a turd with gold spray paint.

So you base your truck purchase on a fancy interior??

I just dont get it. To me the Ram is a turd with some gold spray paint on it.

Sure the Cummins is a fantastic option no question, but its still a good engine attached to a turd with gold spray paint.

well for one usually sit inside the truck and since it’s our RV tow vehicle usually for long hours hence I do value a nice interior. In my view RAM since 2018 just smokes Ford at least for now for now when it comes to that - yet have to see the 2021 f150 to see if they upped their game - it’s just so much more refined and A LOT LESS cheap plastics... haptics is another league in the RAM... the ride quality with the air suspension is unmatched with other trucks... Mechanically I’ve never had an issue with my RAMs so got nothing to complain...

turd may be your view for me there are plenty of reasons I’d go RAM over Ford again, yet I decided for a F350 tremor because of the 7.3 gas engine...

well for one usually sit inside the truck and since it’s our RV tow vehicle usually for long hours hence I do value a nice interior. In my view RAM since 2018 just smokes Ford at least for now for now when it comes to that - yet have to see the 2021 f150 to see if they upped their game - it’s just so much more refined and A LOT LESS cheap plastics... haptics is another league in the RAM... the ride quality with the air suspension is unmatched with other trucks... Mechanically I’ve never had an issue with my RAMs so got nothing to complain...

turd may be your view for me there are plenty of reasons I’d go RAM over Ford again, yet I decided for a F350 tremor because of the 7.3 gas engine...

So front end issues, coil springs in the rear, terrible resale value on anything without a cummins, not to mention a just hideous exterior, but hey its got fancy interior and less plastic.

An yes they do have nice interiors, I cant lie, but its because Ram goes cheap on the "guts" of the truck and spends the dollars on a fancy interior so 5 years down the road you have a truck with terrible depreciation(Cummins Exluded), a ton of issues, but hey, its got nice leather, a big screen, and soft touch places lol..

If I wanted UBER luxury I would drive a Navigator.

Because I wanted a truck that can handle hard work and last more than a few years I went with a F-350.

Sorry for ranting, Not trying to, but I just cannot understand how the Ram still sells when the GM and Ford are much better options.

So front end issues, coil springs in the rear, terrible resale value on anything without a cummins, not to mention a just hideous exterior, but hey its got fancy interior and less plastic.

An yes they do have nice interiors, I cant lie, but its because Ram goes cheap on the "guts" of the truck and spends the dollars on a fancy interior so 5 years down the road you have a truck with terrible depreciation(Cummins Exluded), a ton of issues, but hey, its got nice leather, a big screen, and soft touch places lol..

If I wanted UBER luxury I would drive a Navigator.

Because I wanted a truck that can handle hard work and last more than a few years I went with a F-350.

Sorry for ranting, Not trying to, but I just cannot understand how the Ram still sells when the GM and Ford are much better options.

again had no issues and very good resale value on my 1500 but you seem a little preoccupied with your view on RAMs so I’ll leave it at that...

Latest Discussions

Back