Strange Deceleration Sound

M4X

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'22 Plat Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
'22 Rivian R1T
Hey guys, do any of your trucks make a strange sound when braking moderately and the transmission is shifting from 4th to 3rd gear? During that short period my truck makes a sound that could only be described as dragging a heavy rug across rough concrete or a jet kicking in the afterburner for a second :LOL:. It's made the sound since I picked it up from the dealer with 11 miles on it so I just assumed it was some sort of diesel sound or big truck sound (this is my first diesel and first 3/4 ton.)

Other than the sound of it, it decelerates/accelerates/shifts smoothly.

Assuming you have the exhaust brake on?

Mine is pretty quiet for the most part. The exhaust brake gets more "aggressive" with a heavy load on it. Its really quiet for a diesel, not like the old days when they were rattle traps and lots of engine knock.

Never experienced what you are describing. But agree with @PapaRaptor. A quiet truck..which I like.
It is nice to have a quiet truck. Long trips plus I am not pissing folks off at the campsite when we come back from the bars in the wee hours of the morning.

There was a guy two years ago ( they kicked him out ) had a full blown deleted Cummins open exhaust and he came and went all night long, woke up all the kids and people were pissed off.

My truck did make a noise like you described when towing my 14k 5er and I was going down grade with a stop sign at the bottom.

If it does it all the time you should have the service department look it over next time you go there.

Assuming you have the exhaust brake on?

Mine is pretty quiet for the most part. The exhaust brake gets more "aggressive" with a heavy load on it. Its really quiet for a diesel, not like the old days when they were rattle traps and lots of engine knock.
No it's not on.

I've created a video where the noise is produced. This noise happens consistently when decelerating and the transmission is shifting into, out of, or past 4th gear (i.e. 5th-4th, 4th-3rd, or 5th-3rd).

When it's IN 4th gear it's silent, it only makes the sound when shifting. Also it's silent when accelerating and shifting through 4th gear, it only makes this sound when decelerating and shifting.

The first audio clip may be hard to hear, but 30 seconds in I record it from the bed and it's easy to pick out.

I feel like I've heard big trucks make this sound (semi trucks) when decelerating to a stop light, so I'm still not sure if this is a normal sound or not.

Anyone else hear this?

It sounds like a metallic sliding/grinding sort of sound to me.

Last edited:
I've created a video where the noise is produced. This noise happens consistently when decelerating and the transmission is shifting into, out of, or past 4th gear (i.e. 5th-4th, 4th-3rd, or 5th-3rd).

When it's IN 4th gear it's silent, it only makes the sound when shifting. Also it's silent when accelerating and shifting through 4th gear, it only makes this sound when decelerating and shifting.

The first audio clip may be hard to hear, but 30 seconds in I record it from the bed and it's easy to pick out.

I feel like I've heard big trucks make this sound (semi trucks) when decelerating to a stop light, so I'm still not sure if this is a normal sound or not.

Anyone else hear this?

It sounds like a metallic sliding/grinding sort of sound to me.
It’s under warranty, have you considered taking it back to Ford? I could not tell much of anything from your video. Doubtful anyone else will either.

Hopefully Ford will help you determine if it’s an issue or not.

It’s under warranty, have you considered taking it back to Ford? I could not tell much from your video. Hopefully Ford will help you determine your issue.
Yeah I have an appointment to drop it off. Just doing my due diligence here.

Yeah I went to the dealer this morning and had a tech ride-along. Reproduced the noise a few times and he did not seem too concerned with it. He wasn't a transmission tech so he couldn't comment on it too detailed but basically said not to worry about it as long as it drives smoothly and the sound does not get louder.

I will say it does seem to be just a tad bit quieter after I put about some miles on the truck. So I guess that's it for now.

--

My best personal guess is it's the valve body. The 10R140 has 6 electronic solenoids in the valve body doing work and I'm guessing that you're hearing it force a lot of fluid through the system in the attempt to rapidly shift down from 5th-3rd. In which case each transmission will be different depending on the ambient conditions and manufacture of the valve body/solenoids/shift strategy. So some may not make the noise, some may make it, and some may be louder than others --- And it may change overtime.

Edit:

In addition I have at least one confirmation from someone else w/ the noise over on the Ford-Trucks Forum:

They said they've put 13,000mi on the truck w/ the noise and it never affected driveability.

Last edited:
Yeah I have an appointment to drop it off. Just doing my due

Yeah I went to the dealer this morning and had a tech ride-along. Reproduced the noise a few times and he did not seem too concerned with it. He wasn't a transmission tech so he couldn't comment on it too detailed but basically said not to worry about it as long as it drives smoothly and the sound does not get louder.

I will say it does seem to be just a tad bit quieter after I put about some miles on the truck. So I guess that's it for now.

--

My best personal guess is it's the valve body. The 10R140 has 6 electronic solenoids in the valve body doing work and I'm guessing that you're hearing it force a lot of fluid through the system in the attempt to rapidly shift down from 5th-3rd. In which case each transmission will be different depending on the ambient conditions and manufacture of the valve body/solenoids/shift strategy. So some may not make the noise, some may make it, and some may be louder than others --- And it may change overtime.

Edit:

In addition I have at least one confirmation from someone else w/ the noise over on the Ford-Trucks Forum:

They said they've put 13,000mi on the truck w/ the noise and it never affected driveability.
I'm hearing the same issue with mine. The truck performs perfectly but I hear the noise when downshifting approaching stops.

I'm hearing the same issue with mine. The truck performs perfectly but I hear the noise when downshifting approaching stops.

This has been an issue noted on another forum:

Maybe they could help shed some light on the subject.

Back