Steering Wheel Off-Center

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
I got home today, and decided to take my truck in for service. I called about it on day two, but didn't have the opportunity to drop it off till today.

The alignment and everything is fine, the vehicle tracks straight. It doesn't pull while braking. But when cruising straight, the steering wheel is like 5+ degrees off center. If I hold the wheel straight, off to the left I go.

They say it'll be done tomorrow, which would be good. I hope they make it perfect, cause I'm kinda picky. And, I hope it really is done tomorrow.

Curious to know what they say. Have the same problem except mine tracks to the right.

Watching this one. I just picked mine up used but I have the same issue. My steering wheel is slightly to the right when cruising down the highway. I have adaptive steering.

I wish I never read this thread, now I’m gonna check and be really picky about what I see! Lol

Not even a problem for a good alignment shop. With several thousand miles and or a tire wheel upgrade it would be worth while to get a good alignment.
I am not convinced the dealership can perform a great alignment. You need an independent shop that specializes in alignment work.

I know there is a tolerance from the Factory and it can be adjusted or made better.

Watching this one. I just picked mine up used but I have the same issue. My steering wheel is slightly to the right when cruising down the highway. I have adaptive steering.
I'll let you know what happens.

Not even a problem for a good alignment shop. With several thousand miles and or a tire wheel upgrade it would be worth while to get a good alignment.
I am not convinced the dealership can perform a great alignment. You need an independent shop that specializes in alignment work.

I know there is a tolerance from the Factory and it can be adjusted or made better.
I feel like the dealership needs to fix this. It was obvious on delivery of the truck. I actually thought it strange they would deliver it to a customer like this.

That, and I don't want to pay an independent shop to fix something like this. That'd be my last step if the dealership can't fix it right under warranty.

But, I sure hope you're right - that it shouldn't be a problem.

I wish I never read this thread, now I’m gonna check and be really picky about what I see! Lol
By all means, be picky! Ford can't rest on their laurels, or they'll fall behind.

Had to make a trip down I95 today (I don’t travel it often, if I can help it) definitely had to hold the wheel a bit right of center to keep it straight in the left lane. Center and right lanes not a problem/not noticeable. Figured it was just the crown of the road?3600 miles on mine, 7.3, with adaptive steering.

I feel like the dealership needs to fix this. It was obvious on delivery of the truck. I actually thought it strange they would deliver it to a customer like this.

That, and I don't want to pay an independent shop to fix something like this. That'd be my last step if the dealership can't fix it right under warranty.

But, I sure hope you're right - that it shouldn't be a problem.
I am sure they could fix it at the dealership but my thinking is its probably within industry or factory " standards" not mine or your standards. I want my stuff perfect as do most of you but with a high production vehicles simply not the case. if you have a really great service department that truly cares. It could get put on the rack and set up perfect. But so many things are rushed these days, I would not bet on it. I have my own alignment guy. I can take mine in and he will spend some time on it make sure its perfect. I can go later in the day have a few beers with him and watch him or work on it with him. I will see first hand what the specs are and where mine is in relationship to them. It took him about an hour to get my highly modified and lifted Jeep within Factory specs. Getting your alignment to spec with a lift kit is tougher than stock. He will make adjustments then let the computer measure it and go back and fine tune some more. There is no way the dealership will take that kind of time. If they do you are very lucky.

XLT w/o adaptive steering

Mine was originally off center to the left. I took it In and they " took care of it".

At ist it seemed ok but after a few miles it's now off center to the right, not as bad as before but definitely not centered.

I read that alignment issued are covered for the 1st 12 month so I'll take it again before March rolls around.

I took feel that an alignment shop would t have this issue.

Mine also is off centered.

I am surprised the number of members who knock the dealer service departments. Especially when it comes to alignments and centering a steering wheel. For some reason the forum makes this sound like some mysterious extremely technical function. With todays alignment equipment and Ford Factory requirements there should be no reason that a dealer would be unable to center a steeeing wheel, it is the easiest adjustment to be made on our trucks and could easily be done by you in your driveway. Other than steering wheel clear vision (cenetered) , caster canber and toe are adjustable on our trucks. Too many shops elect to set toe only and are too lazy to select and install the correct caster and camber sleeves on the upper ball joint. This goes for Dealer and Aftermarket shops. Alignments are not that difficult. IMHO. Jim

Mine is off centered to the left. Noticed it first day I drove it off the lot. Figured I will wait until first oil change to have it corrected. My Raptor was dead center after a good alignment so I know it is easily remedied.

Back