Steering Upgrades

Uncas

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F350 Lariat Sport Tremor 7.3L SCREW
I pulled the trigger and traded my 18 Raptor for a F350 7.3l Lariat Sport in Agate. Yes, I know it’s not a Raptor and my last Super Duty was a 08 F350 6.4l that I traded for a 12 Raptor. I drove a different Tremor and the one I purchased and the steering on both feel a bit wonky. Like after a night on Bourbon Street, a little top heavy and wandering. No adaptive steering on either truck, tire pressure is 60/80. The one I bought was special ordered with 10k gvwr but I believe thats just a sticker change.

I am thinking a steering stabilizer may improve things, looking at the Carli low mount as a starting point.

Any thoughts?

Get that tire pressure down for starters. Empty, both of those numbers are way too high. Especially the rear. Several threads on this. I run 48F/42R empty to give you an idea.

Start with reasonable pressure and see how it does for starters. Say 55F/50R.

Air down agreed.

I like the idea of a better stabilizer on a solid front axle. Thats on my wish list. I have the adaptive steering and the truck drives good. No complaints. If you upgrade get a good kit with quality fasteners and hardware.

I thought the factory pressure was pretty high especially the rear. I ran 37F/32R on-road and low 20s off-road after going to Raptor Assault, definitely helped with rear hop on that truck. I am in the always air down off-road camp and an ARB compressor is part of my off-road kit. I still want to do a full Carli Pintop suspension eventually.

I dropped the pressure to 65 all around, helped quite a bit. Will go lower when get the forscan thing figured out.

Raptor assault was amazing. Had a great time. That was the first time I started giving much thought to tire pressures and ride. There is a really good article on Carli's website about tire pressure as well. It's been gone over several times on this forum so I won't do it again.

One other thing is the Duratracs. They are a really popular tire and have a loyal following but I don't get it. There are also multiple threads here about people complaining about their trucks wandering around and having to chase the front end, especially when braking. I had the same issue. I've driven a lot of SD's over the years and knew that what I was experiencing was not normal. Gave those tires 900 miles to break in and it never got better. Swapped them out and all of my drive-ability issues went away. For me, it was 30% tire pressure and 70% the Duratracs.

Something to keep in the back of your mind as you get some miles on your truck.

I dropped the pressure to 65 all around, helped quite a bit. Will go lower when get the forscan thing figured out.
I dropped to 62 cold, getting a low tire pressure on only the rear driver even though they came up to 65 when warm. Drove it 300 miles today down to Comanche Grasslands, much better. Will drop it more when my OBD arrives.

Raptor assault was amazing. Had a great time. That was the first time I started giving much thought to tire pressures and ride. There is a really good article on Carli's website about tire pressure as well. It's been gone over several times on this forum so I won't do it again.

One other thing is the Duratracs. They are a really popular tire and have a loyal following but I don't get it. There are also multiple threads here about people complaining about their trucks wandering around and having to chase the front end, especially when braking. I had the same issue. I've driven a lot of SD's over the years and knew that what I was experiencing was not normal. Gave those tires 900 miles to break in and it never got better. Swapped them out and all of my drive-ability issues went away. For me, it was 30% tire pressure and 70% the Duratracs.

Something to keep in the back of your mind as you get some miles on your truck.

I saw the article on Carli’s site after posting, great information.

I am going to miss owning Raptors but I am ready to move on to a truck camper. My GEN2 just wasn’t the bull the GEN1 was, maybe a Ranger Raptor if they ever happen, there’s always a possibility for pulling a CanAm Maverick behind.

I don’t understand Duratracs either, I think Ford should have worked with BFG to come up with a HD version of the KO2. My loyalty is to Nitto and this truck will be wearing some Trail Grapplers soon.

I found the same thing when I first drove mine. I'm not a fan of duratracs either. Lowered the pressure and let the tires brake in and it now drives normal.

I have 3,000 miles on my duratracs with lowered pressure and they are almost ok. Since I am 99% highway, I am really thinking of going with an all season tread pattern or mild all terrain tire when these wear out. Not sure if anyone makes a tire like that in this size, but it would make the most sense for my use, and would hopefully improve street traction, handling and driveability a lot.

Ed

I have 3,000 miles on my duratracs with lowered pressure and they are almost ok. Since I am 99% highway, I am really thinking of going with an all season tread pattern or mild all terrain tire when these wear out. Not sure if anyone makes a tire like that in this size, but it would make the most sense for my use, and would hopefully improve street traction, handling and driveability a lot.

Ed
Are you planning to keep the LT 285/75 R18 E? (I know yes to the E load rating) Not many options for the 18" diameter.

E

Ed
Ed
I used to run Terra Grapplers on my 08 F350 when I was burning up the road weekly. Unfortunately, they no longer make a large size tire and appears to have fallen out of favor, there’s always Michelin LTX but they are not as wide.

I am seriously considering something along these lines:

I will wear out the Goodyears first since they are acceptable, but I won't replace them with the same thing at this point.

Ed

I'm running Coopers on my RAM 2500 right now and they have been great. I don't do that much off-roading with it (Have the Raptor for that), but I do tow a lot with them. The tires are quiet and handle great on the highway. They seem to wear really good too. I would definitely consider the XLT has a good replacement for the Duratracs.

Great info on the Duratracs. I loved them on my 12 Raptor. To the point I originally had a pair of paddle tires made up from some old BFG tires to play in the sand dunes, but once I put the Duratracs on running very low tire pressure, I did not use the paddles any more. They hooked up so well in the sand. I put a set on my 16 F250 when I lifted it, lower end lift kit, and it pulled when braking and was all over on uneven roads. Always blamed it on the cheap lift, even though I had it aligned twice and they said it was good.

Great info on the Duratracs. I loved them on my 12 Raptor. To the point I originally had a pair of paddle tires made up from some old BFG tires to play in the sand dunes, but once I put the Duratracs on running very low tire pressure, I did not use the paddles any more. They hooked up so well in the sand. I put a set on my 16 F250 when I lifted it, lower end lift kit, and it pulled when braking and was all over on uneven roads. Always blamed it on the cheap lift, even though I had it aligned twice and they said it was good.

I run mine on the hwy a lot and get the drift, will start lowering tire pressure. Will say that the stock tires really hook up on soft ground. I actually pull Ram 3/4 ton pulling a big 40 foot trailer with a 1000 lb cattle chute on the trailer, out if the deep ruts without and issue. I like the tires well enough but will be lowering the pressure settings as well as reprogramming tire sensor alarms, and then to get rid of toia radio cut off when no seatbelt on. Really sucks when working the cow pasture.

I lowered my pressure to 60. Softer ride but I can’t say it handles any better. Aside from fro that, hitting a small pothole while cornering can make for a fun few seconds.
Has anyone put on a sway bar or steering stabilizer to an otherwise stock Tremor?

Latest Discussions

Back