Steering stabilizers

coachhomer

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Tremor
Hey all, I know some have installed dual steering stabilizers on their trucks. Can someone enlighten an idiot (me) me on the need? I understand what they do, but I never seem to have felt I have needed one. Not on this truck or my previous 2002 PSD. Do the Tremors have a beefier stabilizers than other superduty models?

Thanks all!

C

My understanding is they are not needed unless you are lifted.

Hey all, I know some have installed dual steering stabilizers on their trucks. Can someone enlighten an idiot (me) me on the need? I understand what they do, but I never seem to have felt I have needed one. Not on this truck or my previous 2002 PSD. Do the Tremors have a beefier stabilizers than other superduty models?

Thanks all!

C
Hello,
I had a Carli stabilizer installed when I leveled my truck. According to the shop that lifted my truck the Carli one is adjustable using air pressure. I have 37” nitto’s and the naturally pull to the right. Buy adjusting tire pressure and the stabilizer pressure it combats the truck pulling. But my steering wheel feels firm and stable even when I hit potholes in the road. Not sure if this was the answer you were looking for, but maybe it helps.

Don' think an upgrade is needed on a stock truck. Lifting and larger tires will likely necessitate a new set up to counter pull that comes with certain tires

My truck is stock....and I installed the PMF/Bilstein dual stabilizers. I found it really calmed down the front suspension, I no longer get any feedback into the steering wheel when I hit bumps, and it is insurance that I will never experience death wobble (better google that one). Lastly it was easy to install in my driveway, cheap, and it looks badass on the truck!

Attachments

• PMF_SS_Ctr.jpg
    PMF_SS_Ctr.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 319
  • 0708201926_HDR.jpg
    0708201926_HDR.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 317
My truck is stock....and I installed the PMF/Bilstein dual stabilizers. I found it really calmed down the front suspension, I no longer get any feedback into the steering wheel when I hit bumps, and it is insurance that I will never experience death wobble (better google that one). Lastly it was easy to install in my driveway, cheap, and it looks badass on the truck!

great looking truck. Yea I know about the death wobble. Just never experienced it. Did you keep the stock bar in as well?

great looking truck. Yea I know about the death wobble. Just never experienced it. Did you keep the stock bar in as well?
yes completely stock....kept factory stabilizer.....method wheels....cooper STT Pros 295/70-18 so a little wider....little shorter....but not much. Also have Sumo Springs front and rear. There is a big Travel Trailer in my future.........

Last edited:
Like others have said if your truck is stock you do not need to waste your money. This being my 3rd Super Duty, I can't believe how well the Tremor handles bumps. I have yet to get any bump steer out of it. The same bumps that would upset my '15 are rock solid in the Tremor.

So if I have a leveling kit, would I need to get them? I have a 2022 Tremor. If so I would have to have someone install them.

So if I have a leveling kit, would I need to get them? I have a 2022 Tremor. If so I would have to have someone install them.
Unless a person is using their truck in extreme conditions, aftermarket steering stabilizers are a look good, feel good thing, kind of like after market wheels and tires, level kits and brush guards on highway queens. There's a whole lot of all the above installed on trucks every day and that's all well and good. Customization is each owner's prerogative.

Like many have said, changing out the steering stabilizer is not necessary. Even with a "level" kit on the truck you shouldn't need one. If the level kit throws off the steering geometry, this needs to be corrected with proper connecting brackets, not a different stabilizer.

Thank you. I did not put the leveling kit on. I did get the truck aligned. It seems as though the steering wheel is slightly off center. Maybe I do need a different bracket. Would I need to get another alignment after replacing?

Thank you. I did not put the leveling kit on. I did get the truck aligned. It seems as though the steering wheel is slightly off center. Maybe I do need a different bracket. Would I need to get another alignment after replacing?
If your alignment is right and you only have a steering wheel off center, you likely only need to adjust the connection between the drag link and the pitman arm as seen in the diagram. It may take a couple tries to get it right. A small amount is all it will take. Make sure to properly tighten everything when you are done. This will not effect the rest of your alignment.
1672005420681.gif

Thank you very much.

My truck is leveled (Carli Back Country 2.5/3.5) and when I first did the level, I had a Carli upper steering stabilizer installed which replaces the stock part. This worked fine and I don't think it was any better or worse than the stock part. After doing some research (marketing fluff, YouTube, posts, etc.) I found this from Carli - "The Low-mount steering stabilizer would actually provide a better feel than the high mount if you’re only going to run ONE stabilizer. Also, this is not limited to lifted/leveled vehicles and can be run on ANY Super Duty with a stock tie-rod." In another place Carli mentions that if you are trying to do your build on a budget to do the lower first and run the upper factory for 30k then replace it w/ the Carli upper. I had the Carli low mount installed last week and I can tell you that the front end feels much, much tighter with the feedback from bumps being reduced. I can only speak about my experience with the Carli setup, can't speak for any other brands but not put them down either. Is it necessary... probably not. Can I tell a difference, definitely

I ordered the rough country v2 steering dampening system. I read many reviews and it seemed like it made a difference. Price not too bad. I have seen videos on installation, some with tires on the ground, some up on the lift. It looks like a straight forward install. Ok to install while on the ground? Will I need another alignment? Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. It’s my first SD truck.
John

I ordered the rough country v2 steering dampening system. I read many reviews and it seemed like it made a difference. Price not too bad. I have seen videos on installation, some with tires on the ground, some up on the lift. It looks like a straight forward install. Ok to install while on the ground? Will I need another alignment? Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. It’s my first SD truck.
John

This thread is pretty old. Since it was written may of us went ahead and installed the Fox ATS, and 9 out of 10 seem to agree that it's a big bang for the buck even with everything else stock. Myself included.

I can't speak for the Rough Country specifically, but it looks similar to the Fox ATS and that unit is an easy sub-30 minute install in the driveway. The RC looks a bit easier. For best results, I would recommend jacking the front wheels off the ground to reduce room for error in install. But not strictly necessary.

This thread is pretty old. Since it was written may of us went ahead and installed the Fox ATS, and 9 out of 10 seem to agree that it's a big bang for the buck even with everything else stock. Myself included.

I can't speak for the Rough Country specifically, but it looks similar to the Fox ATS and that unit is an easy sub-30 minute install in the driveway. The RC looks a bit easier. For best results, I would recommend jacking the front wheels off the ground to reduce room for error in install. But not strictly necessary.
Are you referring to the single upper replacement? Mine is the dual lower. Did I make a mistake buying the lower dual when I only need single upper? Thank you.

Yes I did not mess with the OEM stabilizer....it is still in the truck

Back