Steering seems worse after RC dual stabilizer install

Chunkee

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor Antimatter Blue Lariat
I have the original steering dampener replaced with RC V2 dual by an RC preferred installer here locally. I am finding it a downgrade. I just drove back from Atlanta to Knoxville and it seems very floaty and easily moved. These are big trucks and I know that they probably tend to find grooves in the road etc. but slight little bumps, transitions from bridges and small potholes seem to overwhelm the RC. Anyone experience this? All the reviews stated otherwise. Any suggestions for a stable and confident dampening solution? Maybe my expectations are too high?

Anyone?

I have tried a couple different stabilizers in the stock position. And the best I have tried is the standard fox in the stock position. On this truck I haven't changed from factory

I'd take the stabs of f to check them. Just push them and pull them in hand. Feel what's happening when they move. Almost sounds like you either got bad stabs or they are not the correct type. Do you have the part number for the kit??

Why did you switch out the steering stabilizer for a dual and what are to trying to accomplish or fix?

Why did you switch out the steering stabilizer for a dual and what are to trying to accomplish or fix?
I am new to f250. Had a f150 before. I kept reading about death wobble and solution so I bought a stabilizer (dual). The v2 RC seems to easily pushed around and not an improvement. Maybe I should put original back on? Or get something that truly enables the truck from wandering. Maybe my expectations are too high? Open for other things to try. I will haul an RV from time to time for trips.

If you are trying to fix a steering issue, you are compounding it by adding components. These trucks actually steer very nicely once the tires are broke in, say around 500 miles, and the tires are correctly pressurize at around 60 psi front/rear. If the truck is behaving improperly you need to determine the cause and correct it. Changing parts is the wrong way to go about the process.
I am new to f250. Had a f150 before. I kept reading about death wobble and solution so I bought a stabilizer (dual). The v2 RC seems to easily pushed around and not an improvement. Maybe I should put original back on? Or get something that truly enables the truck from wandering. Maybe my expectations are too high? Open for other things to try. I will haul an RV from time to time for trips.
Death wobble is a condition that results from play in the steering linkage. If a person experiences death wobble there are linkage components that need replaced, (edit - or adjusted). I've had several solid axil super duties in my life and only experienced wobble one time. Steering tie rod ends needed replaced.

As far as wandering, first set your tires to 60 psi F/R. Many have stated that loose feeling goes away in a fairly short amount of miles. If it persists, it's probably a marginal alignment job from the factory, this is a little too common I'm afraid. Lazy dealerships will tell you it's a characteristic of these trucks. They are either dishonest or ignorant and don't want to deal with it. Many including myself have stock trucks with lots of trouble free driving, both empty and pulling. Rarely is there a component problem. Usually it's a matter of getting things set right. The most sure route is to take it to a competent alignment shop and get it adjusted.

Caster is the adjustment that most effects your steering feel going straight down the road. If set right it causes your steering wheel to go back to center when you let go of wheel while rolling. The caster needs to be set to the positive for this to work right. Some like a little more caster so the wheel feels more firm and they get a positive feedback of the wheel trying to go back to center. Zero to negative caster makes the steering feel very light and even squirrely.

Also not enough toe in will also cause the steering to feel a little erratic with the truck wanting to wander in the lane.
A well maintained and properly adjusted front suspension shouldn't have any problem with death wobble and even if it did, a heavier steering stabilizer does nothing more than mask over the problem of warn components that need replaced.

Believe me, if your truck is stock and adjusted properly, normal driving down the road is very stable and effortless. I often find myself driving while pulling my trailer with one hand at the bottom of the wheel or resting on the arm rest and just holding it steady.

BTW this topic has been discussed at length so there's a ton of info on the forum if you have time to dig a little. Here's a couple threads on the topic.

Here's a short article that explains alignment that should help.

Last edited:
Here's another great article on "death wobble". Notice he focuses on improperly adjusted or warn or loose parts. Get all the pieces in the chain working and adjusted right and the steering will be perfect. One bad link starts the problem and neglected it will grow by causing wear to other links in the system. Most likely a new truck only needs to be adjusted and set up correctly.

Back