Spray In bed liner questions

Wittyy

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 250
I am having my truck spray-in liner installed this week (Ford omitted this from my factory order). The local installer claims he sprays over the bed bolts. Does Ford do this or leave the bolts exposed? I read somewhere that the installer was simply “lazy” if he did‘nt remove the bolts. If the truck ever needed the bed raised (fuel tank/drivetrain repairs?) that the bolts would have to be chiseled/butchered out. Any thoughts on this?

Also does anyone have a pic/or opinion on whether to spray bottom back edge of the bed between the tailgate? installer also says he does not remove the tailgate.

I’m just hoping for best job possible.

My favorite Liner, is Line X. They go overboard with the details if you pay everything they ask for. My Liners stay looking sharp for as long as I keep them .. ;);)

For what it’s worth, Ford sprays over the bed bolts and tie downs… they also overspray into the plastic bed rail caps. Sounds like the responses above are much better than what Ford does.

There is some debate over removing the bolts versus spraying over them. The Ford factory liner is applied over the bolts, over the tie downs and not behind the box link plates. My opinion is that they do that to streamline/ expedite the process. Aftermarket spray liner facilities will sometimes vary in their technique or per your requests. The LineX facility I used defaults to removing all pieces that can easily be removed, including bed bolts and tailgate, and tape off what can't be. They didn't spray far down between the bed and tailgate, but I assume they would gladly do it upon request.

This video isn't the easiest to listen to at times but does well enough at highlighting the process most LineX installers will follow. They did run the liner down the back of the bed, between the bed and tailgate, so you can briefly see that as well.

Mine were removed. If they aren't and the bed or tie down needs to be removed for something, it makes it a huge pain in the ass to get a socket over or bit into the fastener. It also means they'll have to cut into the liner and then repair or reapply it when they're done.

If you really need them covered to prevent corrosion, get better bolts and treat them like a maintenance item, replacing them as needed.

I’m looking at line-x. Their site says to request a quote. Anyone who’s had it done willing to share the cost?

I’m looking at line-x. Their site says to request a quote. Anyone who’s had it done willing to share the cost?
It varies, when you request a quote the price will be for a specific location. I paid $535 otd for the standard Line X at my nearest location, here in California.

I paid $940 for platinum (XS-350) in Round Rock, TX.

My dealer had it done at Line-X before I picked the truck up. Their price through Line-X of St. Louis, MO was $699 for the Premium tier.

Last edited:
My dealer had it done at Line-X before I picked the truck up. I think it was around $600 in St. Louis, MO.
Linex has 3 different levels of spray in bed liners. If we are all comparing cost we should mention which version our cost was for. 😁

7E78216C-0BBA-4DE7-A45E-774AC4F33A38.png

Standard is what I’m looking for.

Linex has 3 different levels of spray in bed liners. If we are all comparing cost we should mention which version our cost was for. 😁

View attachment 105789
Are the different levels of protection based on thickness or do they use different compounds?

Mine sprayed over the bolts. Seemed like a better way to go in my opinion. They did remove the tailgate.
Rhino Liner 2.jpg

Are the different levels of protection based on thickness or do they use different compounds?

The Standard and Premium offer the same level of physical protection, the difference being UV protection. The Premium includes an additional top coat of UV protective coating. Platinum sounds like it may be a different compound, plus it gets the UV stable coat.

The Standard and Premium offer the same level of physical protection, the difference being UV protection. The Premium includes an additional top coat of UV protective coating. Platinum sounds like it may be a different compound, plus it gets the UV stable coat.
This is correct. Standard and premium are identical except for the special UV top coat. Platinum is a different compound (XS-350). Many installers will use the term platinum and premium interchangeably, so make sure if you pay for platinum you actually see them use buckets labeled XS-350. Mike at Linex of Round Rock explained this to me.

Platinum is supposedly much stronger. 💪

Back