Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
USMC 2001-2005
Current Ride
2023 F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
Lamborghini Superleggera #7007
So my buddy with a 19’ F250 with a 6.7 was telling me about an upgrade for the cold pipe. I found some research that earlier power stroke would blow the cold pipe under heavy loads. We have the Gen 3 power stroke but Ford didn’t change the cold pipe. My buddy told me about SPE Diesel who has a stronger cold pipe kit for $250. I searched the forums but couldn’t find any threads about it. So is it worth it to switch to a stronger cold pipe? Max towing for me would be maybe 10k lbs.... Here is the link to the pipe. What does everyone think?

So my buddy with a 19’ F250 with a 6.7 was telling me about an upgrade for the cold pipe. I found some research that earlier power stroke would blow the cold pipe under heavy loads. We have the Gen 3 power stroke but Ford didn’t change the cold pipe. My buddy told me about SPE Diesel who has a stronger cold pipe kit for $250. I searched the forums but couldn’t find any threads about it. So is it worth it to switch to a stronger cold pipe? Max towing for me would be maybe 10k lbs.... Here is the link to the pipe. What does everyone think?

Eh...seems like a gimmicky thing but that's not to say this isn't an upgrade vs some cheap plastic. If you're really pushing boost and often it may be a worthwhile upgrade. I don't think it's a necessary thing though. I'm ignorant to the diesel turbo world, but not to turbocharged vehicle world. Maybe Ford's are notorious for cheap "cold pipes" (thought it was a charge pipe or intercooler pipe). Seems like it only matters depending upon what your risk tolerance is...do you think yours will burst anytime soon?

Eh...seems like a gimmicky thing but that's not to say this isn't an upgrade vs some cheap plastic. If you're really pushing boost and often it may be a worthwhile upgrade. I don't think it's a necessary thing though. I'm ignorant to the diesel turbo world, but not to turbocharged vehicle world. Maybe Ford's are notorious for cheap "cold pipes" (thought it was a charge pipe or intercooler pipe). Seems like it only matters depending upon what your risk tolerance is...do you think yours will burst anytime soon?
I’ve got 1200 miles on the Tremor. Lmao, it better not go anytime soon!

I’ve got 1200 miles on the Tremor. Lmao, it better not go anytime soon!
I honestly don't think you have much to worry about. I don't think it'll burst anytime soon. It's a marketing ploy, unless like I said Ford is notorious for making that part less than adequate...I don't know that, I assume it's fine.

This popped up on my YouTube feed this morning and then I come here and see this thread. Coincidence?

This popped up on my YouTube feed this morning and then I come here and see this thread. Coincidence?
After my buddy told me about the cold pipe, I saw this video when I was researching the topic.

I blew the cold side pipe on my 2015. I tow about 35,000 miles/year, but had no load when it blew.. no good! It’s worth the $250 for an upgrade, because if/when it blows, you’re done!

I bought a bunch of their parts to upgrade the engine. I figure it’s not that expensive to get a better quality part. You can tell the difference in quality when you swap it. Does it ultimately matter? No clue, but I don’t care spending the money to potentially increase longevity and quality.

Two things that I’m not a fan of on turbodiesels when it comes to compressor discharge plumbing:
1) Boots that have bends in them
2) Plastic
I’ve seen them both fail quite often, usually when you need them the most.

I put an S&B Cold Side Intercooler pipe on my new truck. I tow heavy over mountain passes all the time and did not want to take a chance on blowing off the pipe. The new cold side plumbing is substantially more heavy duty than stock and one less thing to worry about having an issue. I'm very happy with the upgrade and found it worth the $300. https://www.sbfilters.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/83-1000_1_250x250.jpg

Added a Sinister Diesel cold side pipe. As High Country said about the S&B part, it's substantially stronger than the oem pipe. Two friends (15' 6.7 & 19' 6.7) have had the oem part fail, so worth the $300 IMO.

Back