Sous Vide

rhines81

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 XLT Tremor 7.3L - Rapid Red
Has anyone here cooked with this method? Seems strange to me, but I keep seeing it pop-up more and more. Even weirder, whether you cook using sous vide or not is the compound butter thing... apparently using a stick of butter and a half of a Big Mac or Wendy's Baconator produces awesome results.... I admit, I am going to have to go down this rabbit hole and give it try! Still not certain about the Sous Vide thing, but the compound butter has peaked my interest.

Throw a pack of thick slices bacon in...still sealed in original package...for 12 hours at 145-150.

Then fry quick to add color and crunch on outside.

Best bacon ever....

Throw a pack of thick slices bacon in...still sealed in original package...for 12 hours at 145-150.

Then fry quick to add color and crunch on outside.

Best bacon ever....
Really? I am old school slow smoke mentality, but people are raving about this.

not into it but I hear it gets good results. I'd rather just fire up the stick burner and smoke some ribs or a brisket.

I work with a guy who did sous vide ribs for like 21 hours at 150 or some such nonsense and he said they were falling off the bone blah blah blah, but what good are ribs without bark and a smoke ring?

I guess I just don't get it.

It works wonders for meats that have a tendency to be a little tough because no moisture can escape and it’s impossible to overcook. Not for everything, but for pork chops I’ll never go back. You can cut them with a fork.

I guess I just don't get it.
We are riding in the same boat, I don't get it either but want to see if others have good results... meat in a vacuum bag just doesn't sound appealing to me, but I'm hearing the rage and wondering if it's fake news!

The French do know a thing or two about cooking.
It does work but it is weird. I'm a grillerrr.

Reverse sear is about as “wild“ as I want to get. But I also hear it gets great results.....

I agree...ribs and brisket should be on the pit.

Steaks are really good this way...but you don't just SV....you SV then char on the grill. Amazing and best of both worlds.

What if you cold=smoked the meat before vacuum packing? Wondering.

I've don't it with tomahawks...smoke, SV, then chsr...
Your making me hungry, but I'm not about to literally dig out my smoker under 2' of snow ... can you just do a quick delivery for me? I'll even wait until tomorrow for that magic!

Reversed on the offset. Tri tip...
Seared on a grate resting on the embers in the fire box.

CF68A4AA-3D3A-4178-9950-73403A6041FB.jpeg

Reversed on the offset. Tri tip...
Seared on a grate resting on the embers in the fire box.

View attachment 16012
I'm going to have to look up the reverse sear method. I mainly just grill my meats, but have been getting heavily involve in smoking lately.

I'm going to have to look up the reverse sear method. I mainly just grill my meats, but have been getting heavily involve in smoking lately.
I seasoned it, 225 smoke till it gets 110 internal, then high heat sear for a couple minute each side. Turned out 130 ish internal (medium rare). About an hour total. I will be doing that again. It was phenomenal!

?

Got my wife one for Christmas this year. It actually works REALLY well on thick cut steaks one might get from Costco and vacuum seal / freeze for longer storage. She sets it at 140degF, puts two frozen pouches in a large pot and let's rip for X amount of time, checking internal temps with an temp probe. Once it hits 140, she sears them in a cast iron pot set at pretty high temps with a little seasoned butter. Some of the best steak I've ever had, especially if you like it no more than medium well. Perfect every time. It's just another way to slow-cook to temp.

Got my wife one for Christmas this year. It actually works REALLY well on thick cut steaks one might get from Costco and vacuum seal / freeze for longer storage. She sets it at 140degF, puts two frozen pouches in a large pot and let's rip for X amount of time, checking internal temps with an temp probe. Once it hits 140, she sears them in a cast iron pot set at pretty high temps with a little seasoned butter. Some of the best steak I've ever had, especially if you like it no more than medium well. Perfect every time. It's just another way to slow-cook to temp.
Just like this but I like mine more rare so I only cook to 130. I’m an avid griller/smoker but filets done this way are hard to beat

We’ve had one for years and love it. I’ve also got a smoker and love it and a grill too and will reverse sear steak if the mood strikes. Different tools for different jobs.

Sous vide can be used for a lot of different things and can be great if you have the time to wait but don’t want to be focused over the task of cooking. We’ll often break it out if we are having friends over for dinner and sous vide up some steaks. While they are chilling in the spa we are free to hang out with friends and socialize. We can hold them in the water bath for up to about 4hrs total (figure about an hour of cook time) without an negative effect to the texture of the meat ... While it’s true you can’t really overcook something using this method of cooking you can change the texture, which can be just as bad. Then we’ll pop them in a searing hot skillet with some butter or finish them on the grill.

And don’t get caught up with thinking you need a vacuum sealer. Regular zip top bags work fine. Just submerge the bag in the water up to, not over, the zip top to force the air out and then seal.

And I will agree with one of the previous posters, it did make some of the best, juiciest double cut pork chops we’ve ever had.

**Edit to add a few pics. The first time we did the double cut pork chops and some steaks we made. The rib eyes are ours, from cattle we raise, vs a store bought T-Bone that someone brought over.

Attachments

• E567A1EB-38C8-4BE8-ABE3-51D078E9D702.jpeg
    E567A1EB-38C8-4BE8-ABE3-51D078E9D702.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 16A4945C-827F-4FBE-BF1E-C67675D60E72.jpeg
    16A4945C-827F-4FBE-BF1E-C67675D60E72.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 6FD27F19-EE02-4C41-97C8-0DCC4F54BF91.jpeg
    6FD27F19-EE02-4C41-97C8-0DCC4F54BF91.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3F1DEE20-811F-464E-8B9C-1E32A2037C4E.jpeg
    3F1DEE20-811F-464E-8B9C-1E32A2037C4E.jpeg