some dumb ordering and generic questions

jhblaze1

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Agate Black 6.7 Tremor
Current Ride #2
Ducati Diavel 1260S
Hi guys, as I get more serious about trying to order a Tremor, I have a few questions about the process.

Firstly, as I understand it, you negotiate the deal before submitting the order, is that right?

If so, how does a trade-in work...will they write up the deal with a hard number for your trade, which you're then still driving for 8+ weeks or more?

how does the rate work with ford...assuming you finance with them, do they give you a locked in rate at the time of order (as that would be a 60-90 day rate lock I'd think depending on delivery times)..., or do you have to finalize financing at the time of delivery? Obviously I'd probably rate shop anyway but just curious how in house financing works on a special ordered vehicle.

Anyone know what Ford Credit rates looks like for a mid 700s score? last score hard-pull in June was 750 transunion and not much has changed since then.

My realistic order time is end of the year but maybe I should pop into the local dealership sooner just to get a conversation going and get some answers to my generic questions.

My planned build, for shits and giggles is: F350 Platinum 6.7, either iconic silver or magnetic (kind of leaning toward silver), tremor package, moon roof, supplemental cab heater, block heater, spray in bed liner, spray in wheel well liners, roof marker lights, uplifter switches, 5th wheel prep package.

another question...anyone know the actual roof height of these beasts? My work garage clearance could be an issue which would wreck the whole plan. The entrance I use now is only 6'5" but the other entrance has higher (but not sure exactly what) as well as a truck entrance with super high clearances...I'd have to confirm with the parking office if my spot can be moved over there.

thx in advance

Hi guys, as I get more serious about trying to order a Tremor, I have a few questions about the process.

Firstly, as I understand it, you negotiate the deal before submitting the order, is that right?

If so, how does a trade-in work...will they write up the deal with a hard number for your trade, which you're then still driving for 8+ weeks or more?

how does the rate work with ford...assuming you finance with them, do they give you a locked in rate at the time of order (as that would be a 60-90 day rate lock I'd think depending on delivery times)..., or do you have to finalize financing at the time of delivery? Obviously I'd probably rate shop anyway but just curious how in house financing works on a special ordered vehicle.

Anyone know what Ford Credit rates looks like for a mid 700s score? last score hard-pull in June was 750 transunion and not much has changed since then.

My realistic order time is end of the year but maybe I should pop into the local dealership sooner just to get a conversation going and get some answers to my generic questions.

My planned build, for shits and giggles is: F350 Platinum 6.7, either iconic silver or magnetic (kind of leaning toward silver), tremor package, moon roof, supplemental cab heater, block heater, spray in bed liner, spray in wheel well liners, roof marker lights, uplifter switches, 5th wheel prep package.

another question...anyone know the actual roof height of these beasts? My work garage clearance could be an issue which would wreck the whole plan. The entrance I use now is only 6'5" but the other entrance has higher (but not sure exactly what) as well as a truck entrance with super high clearances...I'd have to confirm with the parking office if my spot can be moved over there.

thx in advance
The only thing I can answer, truck height is at approximately 83 inches. That is nearly 7 feet. You will not make your 6ft 5 inch garage.

Negotiate the price of your vehicle with options first. They should give you print out of your order msrp and invoice price. Some dealers include holdback on this sheet too but not many.
Negotiate based on msrp($1k below msrp) or on invoice(invoice plus $200). Remember there is less markup on new cars than a gallon of milk. Letting the dealer make holdback(which is smaller and smaller) and a couple hundred is no big deal.
They may have you sign something and $100-$1k(I would not go over $500) deposit is handed over.

Don’t mention your trade or financing or it’s a cash deal. Many dealers will charge more for a cash deal, they make money on financing.

When truck comes in and you have a trade you negotiate on the trade. If you like the deal you move forward. If you don’t you walk and should get your deposit back.

Your good on finance. I’ve gotten 0% for 72 on ford credit with 715 before. However cu will probably give you a better rate. I’ve seen 84 months at 2.6.

Note you may see a $2k jump in 2021 pricing. And you can’t order a 2020 anymore.

I negotiated the price up front, which started off of dealer invoice. Factory or dealer rebates will be the higher of when you ordered the truck or delivery of the truck. Ex: rebates were $1000 when I ordered mine. At time of delivery the rebates were $500. I received the $1,000 rebate plus I negotiated more below invoice and I had a $2k PCO. Make sure you are very through in what you order and keep all the paper work given to you at the time of order. My dealer missed a couple things and had to be added later.

One thing I'd recommend would be to shop around to see who will give you more for your trade.

I went to 2 different ford dealers and CarMax.

CarMax was able to beat the other dealers by $2500 at one dealer and 3000 at the other. So it's worth it to try other dealers

I was fortunate enough that I could live without and additional vehicle while waiting the three weeks for my Tremor to arrive.

One tactic that worked out pretty well for me (if you have the local options or willing to drive a ways) was to figure out the exact build you want online and shop around. It is pretty easy and takes away most all of the stress of trying to haggle. I saved my build from the ford website and emailed it out to about 6 different dealers letting them know this is the truck I was going to order AND let them know I was shopping around. A couple of the dealers wanted me to come in to negotiate price, but some just sent me a quote. I was fortunate enough that one of the dealers never gave me a price but kept saying they would beat any local price by $1000 (they underestimated my determination to find a decent deal). Once I got the lowest price I went back to the dealer I ultimately purchased from, and let them know I was ready to buy with their quoted $1K off. They definitely were not thrilled about the quote I received from a competing dealer 10 miles down the road, but in the end it worked out pretty good. Ended up ~8.7% off MSRP build online. About 1 week before delivery of my truck I was able to snag a $2000 PCO which was icing on the cake.

Financing options could not be locked in, rather took what was available at the time of delivery. I ended up with the 1.9% for 36 months which seems to be available for the last few months at least.

Best of luck to ya and happy waiting once you pull the trigger!

Sounds like you got a good deal!

And the PCO is a huge benefit!

I wish I could get a PCO in Canada.

Congrats on the new truck!

Mine just finished production yesterday and is awaiting shipment!

Hurry up and WAIT...

The only thing I can answer, truck height is at approximately 83 inches. That is nearly 7 feet. You will not make your 6ft 5 inch garage.
Yeah I knew that for sure....my rubicon only gets in by a few inches. When i take my motorcycle to work and enter in the other way, the clearance is way higher but I don't see a sign specifying, but there's also a truck entrance and I see full sized box trucks in there. going to call the parking office to find out clearances and make sure I can move my spot.

Negotiate the price of your vehicle with options first. They should give you print out of your order msrp and invoice price. Some dealers include holdback on this sheet too but not many.
Negotiate based on msrp($1k below msrp) or on invoice(invoice plus $200). Remember there is less markup on new cars than a gallon of milk. Letting the dealer make holdback(which is smaller and smaller) and a couple hundred is no big deal.
They may have you sign something and $100-$1k(I would not go over $500) deposit is handed over.

Don’t mention your trade or financing or it’s a cash deal. Many dealers will charge more for a cash deal, they make money on financing.

When truck comes in and you have a trade you negotiate on the trade. If you like the deal you move forward. If you don’t you walk and should get your deposit back.

Your good on finance. I’ve gotten 0% for 72 on ford credit with 715 before. However cu will probably give you a better rate. I’ve seen 84 months at 2.6.

Note you may see a $2k jump in 2021 pricing. And you can’t order a 2020 anymore.
Good info here, really appreciate it...It's all going to come down to my trade so I think I'll go to Car Max the same time I do to the dealerships and get an offer as a starting place. I understand their offers are only good for 7 days but shouldn't be a big deal to run a new offer with them a handful of weeks later.

One tactic that worked out pretty well for me (if you have the local options or willing to drive a ways) was to figure out the exact build you want online and shop around. It is pretty easy and takes away most all of the stress of trying to haggle. I saved my build from the ford website and emailed it out to about 6 different dealers letting them know this is the truck I was going to order AND let them know I was shopping around. A couple of the dealers wanted me to come in to negotiate price, but some just sent me a quote. I was fortunate enough that one of the dealers never gave me a price but kept saying they would beat any local price by $1000 (they underestimated my determination to find a decent deal). Once I got the lowest price I went back to the dealer I ultimately purchased from, and let them know I was ready to buy with their quoted $1K off. They definitely were not thrilled about the quote I received from a competing dealer 10 miles down the road, but in the end it worked out pretty good. Ended up ~8.7% off MSRP build online. About 1 week before delivery of my truck I was able to snag a $2000 PCO which was icing on the cake.

Financing options could not be locked in, rather took what was available at the time of delivery. I ended up with the 1.9% for 36 months which seems to be available for the last few months at least.

Best of luck to ya and happy waiting once you pull the trigger!
sounds like a good strategy. I'll plan to do that...there's a dozen ford dealers around here.

what is "PCO"?

sounds like a good strategy. I'll plan to do that...there's a dozen ford dealers around here.

what is "PCO"?
check this

but good luck i been trying for 2 weeks now and nothing

my biggest issue is going to be the parking garage ugh. person at the parking office couldn't get me a straight answer as to moving my garage access to the higher truck area so I have a call in with HR....this could derail the whole thing if they can't figure it out. Nothing would be worse than getting the truck and finding out I can't drive it to work.

my biggest issue is going to be the parking garage ugh. person at the parking office couldn't get me a straight answer as to moving my garage access to the higher truck area so I have a call in with HR....this could derail the whole thing if they can't figure it out. Nothing would be worse than getting the truck and finding out I can't drive it to work.
It’s a Tremor...just hop a curb and park that pig in the yard somewhere!

It’s a Tremor...just hop a curb and park that pig in the yard somewhere!
haha I wish...i work in LA in a corporate office park..we get free parking at work but the garage is kind of old. I'm hopeful that my company will sort it out with the parking office.....this would be the dumbest reason ever to not be able to get the new vehicle I want.

haha I wish...i work in LA in a corporate office park..we get free parking at work but the garage is kind of old. I'm hopeful that my company will sort it out with the parking office.....this would be the dumbest reason ever to not be able to get the new vehicle I want.
Gonna get some funny looks there!

Another great reason to work on a military base....because that is exactly what we do.......No where to park? Drive it up a curb and park it over there!

Back