Snow chain question

What year is your Tremor?

3PMS is winter rated tires, slightly different tire compound and sipping for better winter tract

Look at your sidewall it will have a mountain symbol and say 3PMS

Ford changed to non 3PMS tires sometime in 2021

I think threads like this are silly. If you travel roads that get icy, muddy, or have a good amount of snow that could fall, chains are cheap insurance. About a year and a half ago, I was in Grand Canyon NP. I pulled into a forest road camp ground area late at night and everything was nice and dry. Over night we got about 6" of snow. We got up and went to the canyon that day and we returned planning on leaving and going to the next spot. The snow had melted and the dirt turned muddy. I had to Chain up all four tires to get the trailer to the hardpacked road. It took about 6 hours as I could only move about 6" to 2' at a time. No one was around to help and AAA refused to come out as I was technically off road. I made a video of it if you want to see how bad it sucked. I guess I could have waited for winter and have the ground freeze, but I didn't have a month to sit there. Just buy some chains. Cable or real chains and don't worry about getting into a situation where you might need them.

Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
I have never seen R3 requirements on I-80 over Donner. There's too many morons that don't know how to drive in regular traffic, let alone snow. If it ever gets to point where that is required, they shut the road down.

My opinion is that if you needed a tremor, you probably should have chains. Oh, and by the way, I broke one of the chains trying to get out.

I guess I could have waited for winter and have the ground freeze, but I didn't have a month to sit there.
No clue about your particular weather situation but if night time temps are at least below freezing we've waited till predawn to drive roads when they get really bad. They are an absolute mess and get torn to hell during the day if you try and drive on them when its gumbo bad. If it doesn't freeze at night then it doesn't matter either way but if it is going to freeze waiting can turn what would have been a cluster F into a manageable scenario.

Last edited:
Man all this talk about chains! You guys had me wandering out back today to see if I still have some good truck chains 🤣. Sure enough, still got chains for all 4 from my old F250. Hope I never have to put them on the TREMOR, pretty sure they’d rip my grandpa mud flaps off right quick 😬.
As others have said, I’ve never had to chain up a 4x4 with good tires on the highway.
But in the backcountry when you need them there’s no substitute. With all 4 chained up my 66 would go until snow was coming over the hood!

What year is your Tremor?

3PMS is winter rated tires, slightly different tire compound and sipping for better winter tract

Look at your sidewall it will have a mountain symbol and say 3PMS

Ford changed to non 3PMS tires sometime in 2021
Mine is a 22

I think threads like this are silly. If you travel roads that get icy, muddy, or have a good amount of snow that could fall, chains are cheap insurance. About a year and a half ago, I was in Grand Canyon NP. I pulled into a forest road camp ground area late at night and everything was nice and dry. Over night we got about 6" of snow. We got up and went to the canyon that day and we returned planning on leaving and going to the next spot. The snow had melted and the dirt turned muddy. I had to Chain up all four tires to get the trailer to the hardpacked road. It took about 6 hours as I could only move about 6" to 2' at a time. No one was around to help and AAA refused to come out as I was technically off road. I made a video of it if you want to see how bad it sucked. I guess I could have waited for winter and have the ground freeze, but I didn't have a month to sit there. Just buy some chains. Cable or real chains and don't worry about getting into a situation where you might need them.
Threads like this are silly? I’m from south Texas, and trying to learn more about chains, from people who actually use them….how is this silly??? You wanna talk about silly?! That’s hiking outside with a mask on.

Threads like this are silly? I’m from south Texas, and trying to learn more about chains, from people who actually use them….how is this silly??? You wanna talk about silly?! That’s hiking outside with a mask on.
Whatever you end up doing about the chains, know that visibility will be a big issue if you end up driving during heavy snow. Do yourself a favor and get the best Wintertime wiper blades you can get. Make sure your windshield washer fluid is antifreeze rated, and that it’s full. It’s also a good idea to have a plastic scraper handy for when wipers get iced up.

Whatever you end up doing about the chains, know that visibility will be a big issue if you end up driving during heavy snow. Do yourself a favor and get the best Wintertime wiper blades you can get. Make sure your windshield washer fluid is antifreeze rated, and that it’s full. It’s also a good idea to have a plastic scraper handy for when wipers get iced up.
Real advice….thank you👍🏻

Make sure your windshield washer fluid is antifreeze rated
Fning stupid. You can't buy -20 washer fluid in California. Something to do with the alcohol in it I believe. You don't need it until you do. Been that way for years. I use to stock up on it when I'd go over the hill to Reno.

Make sure your windshield washer fluid is antifreeze rated
This is such a good call out.

Dealerships in the Seattle area put in stuff only rated to 25F for some bizarre reason. Learned that after I had my washer fluid freeze up in a mountain pass. Can’t imagine what Texas dealers would use.

I now use stuff I know is rated for -30C or lower. Prefer -50. Not worth messing around.

Yup. Gotta buy it in Wyoming when I’m there.

Real advice….thank you👍🏻
Ive chained up more vehicles than I’d care to admit, so I’ll offer up a little more…

It’s very unlikely you’ll find yourself being told you can’t proceed beyond a checkpoint without chains on your TREMOR. When things get that bad, they’ll close the road.

But chains are good to have if you do find yourself stuck, for gnarly backcountry mud/snow, or if you’re towing a trailer in very snowy/icy conditions. If you do get yourself some cables or chains, try them on at home, to test the fit and for practice. Rubber chain tensioners are one of the greatest inventions for keeping your chains snug, you’ll want some. Carry some tie wire and side cutters so you can easily tie up any loose links from extra length or wear damage. Also after driving a mile or so pull over and check/tighten them. Keeping them tight without anything flopping or dangling from them is paramount to preventing damage to your truck.

A small tarp is nice to put down for kneeling in the mud/snow while chaining up. And a set of those rubber coated knit gloves will maintain dexterity and help keep your fingers from freezing numb.

Be prepared, and enjoy your trip!

Ive chained up more vehicles than I’d care to admit, so I’ll offer up a little more…

It’s very unlikely you’ll find yourself being told you can’t proceed beyond a checkpoint without chains on your TREMOR. When things get that bad, they’ll close the road.

But chains are good to have if you do find yourself stuck, for gnarly backcountry mud/snow, or if you’re towing a trailer in very snowy/icy conditions. If you do get yourself some cables or chains, try them on at home, to test the fit and for practice. Rubber chain tensioners are one of the greatest inventions for keeping your chains snug, you’ll want some. Carry some tie wire and side cutters so you can easily tie up any loose links from extra length or wear damage. Also after driving a mile or so pull over and check/tighten them. Keeping them tight without anything flopping or dangling from them is paramount to preventing damage to your truck.

A small tarp is nice to put down for kneeling in the mud/snow while chaining up. And a set of those rubber coated knit gloves will maintain dexterity and help keep your fingers from freezing numb.

Be prepared, and enjoy your trip!
This is the best post on chains, this is spot on.

That isn't silly. What I find is silly is people buying a 4x4 TREMOR and discussing whether they should have chains. I love threads that explain technical info and teach... (I'm not good at either obviously). I didn't mean to demean you in anyway. If you aren't going to get the truck dirty, buy a 2 wheel drive and save some money. If you drive in snow, ice, or take it into the dirt, chains will save you a ton of headache at some point. Like I said chains are cheap insurance and I'm glad you are looking into seeing what kind you need or should buy. No offense was intended toward you.

That isn't silly. What I find is silly is people buying a 4x4 TREMOR and discussing whether they should have chains. I love threads that explain technical info and teach... (I'm not good at either obviously). I didn't mean to demean you in anyway. If you aren't going to get the truck dirty, buy a 2 wheel drive and save some money. If you drive in snow, ice, or take it into the dirt, chains will save you a ton of headache at some point. Like I said chains are cheap insurance and I'm glad you are looking into seeing what kind you need or should buy. No offense was intended toward you.

Never needed chains, never been in a spot I needed chains and have hundreds of hours driving off pavement in all kinds of weather and terrain

Will never need chains on pavement and Ford says to NOT run chains on a Tremor

If you feel a need to carry chains good on you but a road trip to Colorado in a Tremor has absolutely zero need for chains

Never needed chains either.... Until I did

Back