Snow chain question

In California, when I bought my truck, they had me sign something saying I acknowledged that chains weren’t good for the truck and I should only use cables. Any one else who bought in California remember this or am I going crazy?
I didn’t have to sign anything like that.

So do you think chains covers all types including cable or just actual chains? I haven't been in a situation where i needed chains in many many years. I put 37s on my Tremor so maybe that makes it even more risky ha
Talking what the law requires? Cable chains are acceptable, thats what most cars are going to be using that actually have to put them on (not being AWD/4wd).

No I was more curious in if cables on the tires that Ford says no to use chains on would be something they viewed differently or if they just lump them all in one category and call it chains

No, I have 34" tires: 275/65/R20. I would not expect them to fit the 35" and slightly wider tremor tires and there is a jump in cost for larger chain sizes is what I was saying.
Got it! Thank you

You can carry chains or cables, or both. Heavy duty chains are for deep snow, heavy continuous ice, or mud - I would not want to use them in average snow storms. Too much chain for the circumstance. if you‘re going to carry one style, I’d opt for quality cables. They can be used in most road/ snow situations, are quieter, and can run faster. They can provide a little more assurance than just 4wd and m/s tires. If you need more than that, it’s probably a storm you want to wait out. Ideally, I‘d carry both. I don’t like to stop because the weather sucks. Having said all that and having driven in snow for many years, I’ve only chained up twice, both times because I needed them to get up steep driveways with too much ice. Chains work well on Tremors, just make sure they’re appropriately sized and without loose ends.

In California, when I bought my truck, they had me sign something saying I acknowledged that chains weren’t good for the truck
So I'm curious. What were they going to do if you didn't sign the paper? Not sell you an $80,000 truck? I lived in California most of my life up until a couple years ago and had never heard of that. A common misconception from some people on this forum is that if they're in chain control it's required for all vehicles which in California is not the case. As long as you have four wheel drive with snow tires you're free to go without chains. Been over Donner summit hundreds of times with chain required and never had to chain a four wheel drive. I can't speak to Colorado but I was replying to this thread mostly because I was curious about having to sign a piece of paper saying you wouldn't chain a truck that YOU were buying.

Last edited:
Out west, Lee Schwab has or used to have a policy that, if you buy chains from them and never use them and go to a different vehicle with different sized tires, they would refund you the purchase price. I did that once and it was pretty slick. Of course, Les is dead and maybe the greedy kids have put the kabosh on that policy.

I forget the specifics in CA, but in WA when chains are required for non-AWD/4WD, AWD/4WD are still required to carry chains. Felt that was worth clarifying for the thread.

It’s a rare case they’ll actually check your vehicle for them, but less rare they’ll ask.

If CA has the same law and you aren’t carrying chains (or an equivalent) then be prepared to either be turned around or lie to a cop (I’m not a lawyer, but going to say that seems inadvisable :p).

So basically: even if you will never actually chain up, you may still need to carry them.

So I'm curious. What were they going to do if you didn't sign the paper? Not sell you an $80,000 truck? I lived in California most of my life up until a couple years ago and had never heard of that. A common misconception from some people on this forum is that if they're in chain control it's required for all vehicles which in California is not the case. As long as you have four wheel drive with snow tires you're free to go without chains. Been over Donner summit hundreds of times with chain required and never had to chain a four wheel drive. I can't speak to Colorado but I was replying to this thread mostly because I was curious about having to sign a piece of paper saying you wouldn't chain a truck that YOU were buying.
Yeah, this has been my experience too. I've gone over these California passes when the road is closed to all traffic that doesn't meet CHP requirements - they stop all vehicles at the bottom of the pass and check your gear. Every time I was allowed to continue with 4-wheel drive and four snow tires. Its the same in Colorado.

Here is the relevant section from the Rocky Mountain National Park website:

What Does it Mean When Traction Control is Active in the Park?​

For the safety of all motorists driving in Rocky Mountain National Park during the winter season, the Colorado Vehicle Traction Law may become active at any time, based on weather and road conditions. While Rocky Mountain National Park has federal exclusive jurisdiction, the park is authorized under 36 CFR 4.2(b) to enforce applicable local and state traffic regulations.

When the Colorado Vehicle Traction Law is active in RMNP, this means that all vehicles (including 4-Wheel Drive, All-Wheel Drive, and 2-Wheel Drive) must have properly rated tires (Mud and Snow, Mountain and Snow or All-Weather Tires) with a minimum of 3/16" tread.

If you have improperly rated tires on your vehicle, then you must use an approved traction control device. These may include snow chains, cables, tire/snow socks, or studded tires.

When the traction law is in place in RMNP, if a vehicle is involved in a motor vehicle crash, to include sliding off the road due to icy conditions, motorists will be cited if their vehicle does not meet Colorado Traction Control Law requirements.

When chains are required, it’s time to find a hotel. Not much to debate really.

Chains are needed for back country driving. I’ve had to chain all four to get out of an elk camp with 3’ of snow. No kiddin.

Out west, Lee Schwab has or used to have a policy that, if you buy chains from them and never use them and go to a different vehicle with different sized tires, they would refund you the purchase price. I did that once and it was pretty slick. Of course, Les is dead and maybe the greedy kids have put the kabosh on that policy.
👍

California (Caltrans) dose require you to have chains for one axle if you enter a chain control area even for 4x4's with snow tires. I also like in California, near Donner Pass, and I've never been asked to show them...and I don't own them. So I suppose at some time I may be denied passage.

California (Caltrans) dose require you to have chains for one axle if you enter a chain control area even for 4x4's with snow tires. I also like in California, near Donner Pass, and I've never been asked to show them...and I don't own them. So I suppose at some time I may be denied passage.
Yes. Anybody who enters a chain control area is required to have chains whether or not they are required on the vehicle at the time. I had forgotten about that. I've never had chains for any of my four wheel drive vehicles when entering chain control. They don't do chain check on personal vehicles that I have ever seen. It's a must for big rigs though typically at Applegate eastbound on 80. The problem that you would run into is if you were in chain control area and had a wreck and didn't have chains in your possession, I'm sure that somebody could make a stink of it if they wanted to.

So basically: even if you will never actually chain up, you may still need to carry them.
I'm with Briski this one, if it gets that bad, there's nowhere I have to be that is that important. At my age now, I would either turn around or get a room. Guess I'm a quitter too! What better company to be with than Briski!😎

The stock tires did great in the snow, but a few weeks ago when we were on ice I came to a stop and the truck kept going throttled out of it, but it probably would’ve been good to have some cables

Here is the California policy from Caltrans website:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:
  • Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

We are leaving Saturday to drive to Colorado. We were thinking about going to Rocky Mountain NP and they have a traction law that requires chains. Now I’m a life long south Texas boy that knows ZERO about tire chains. Where in the world do you buy them? Are they sized for a wide range of tire sizes? Each a specific size? About how much are they? Different types of chains? NOT 100% sure that we will need them, just wanted to educate myself a little before we go. TIA

No need for chain if your in a Tremor, biggest thing is having good winter tires, RMNP is only partially open due to normal winter closures

We are leaving Saturday to drive to Colorado. We were thinking about going to Rocky Mountain NP and they have a traction law that requires chains. Now I’m a life long south Texas boy that knows ZERO about tire chains. Where in the world do you buy them? Are they sized for a wide range of tire sizes? Each a specific size? About how much are they? Different types of chains? NOT 100% sure that we will need them, just wanted to educate myself a little before we go. TIA
Oh and watch the weather really close Estes park gets lots of snow and the weather forecast is calling for snow on and off for the next several days

Make sure you pack a really comprehensive winter survival kit with extra blankets and toilet paper

Latest Discussions

Back