Skinning a cat # 376 (Switch Pros SP9100 install)

HeavyAssault

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Military
US Army
Current Ride
2022 F350 CCLB (11/2022)
Current Ride #2
2015 F350 CCLB 225k // 2006 F350 CCLB 280k
I'll try to make this a one stop post for readers at some point. Today was decent enough to get inside the cab for the SP9100 switch plate mounting. For those of use without the interior sensors this might be a nice way to mount other things as well.

First part of research showed me the potential to remove the face plate on the OEM controls for the panoroof/up-fitter switches. So being careful not to cave-man the controls I was able to pull it down, then pop off the rear facing panel. Another step was to plan on drilling the mount holes, which I ended up using just two on the SP9100. The instruction give you a drill-out template which helps but ended up sort of thinking the whole thing through like 100x over. In the end a bit of a mess but the holes lined up where I wanted them. I opened up the larger hole for the harness to pass through.

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

Then I was able to get it mocked up, added some other hardware for a better fit. Bam, we are in business. Mounted flush to face, snugged up tight, fitted back into the OEM controls. OEM clips hold the face plate as before, SP9100 hardware (plus a few pieces) hold the plate to the face. It's not going anywhere during my travels. It's not quite 100% aligned perfectly square/level with the control housing, but it's not too big a deal.

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

On to the wire routing to the firewall. I was able to get 90% of the interior stuff removed that I wanted, for some reason I just didn't research removing the sun visor totally, in the end it didn't matter. I routed the connection over to the passenger side to pop out near the OEM harness for the up fitters.

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

Hopefully I pulled enough slack to the firewall pass though to make is to the main board in the engine bay. I was able to route over the airbag in the pillar area so that shouldn't be any issue. I got the interior back together, tucked the firewall end of the harness away for now. I got to get a pin tool to pull apart the SP9100 connector then get to the engine bay.
Final look of how the switch panel looks in the cab now.

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

Interesting location and while I like it and looks aesthically appealing, I think it would not be practical to me due to its high reach (for me).

Just this weekend, we did 600 miles of driving up in the mountains and back country roads. Naturally at night, I would kick on my front fogs but I I had to keep my finger on the trigger (toggle switch), to kick them off for oncoming traffic and you have to be quick! While I did have to lean foward just a tad, it wasn't uncomfortable on a 80 mile stretch of two-way road (although my biggest concern was elk) to be trigger-ready.

With this location and this reach, I would think my hand would get uncomfortable after a while.

I may even end up switching my front bumper fogs to the empty switch to keep it more at reach.

This mount is by SDHQ.

IMG_2865.JPG

I removed the wireless charger in my console cubby and used the ShawnTexan mount. Just need to get it through the firewall and all wired up. I'm ready to get my XL Linkable and BD driving lights in the dual fog mount wired up.

Attachments

• sp9100.jpg
    sp9100.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 32
@AZsurveyor : I hear ya. I know people have different uses all around, for me I don't need to be on the trigger that quick. I liked the SDHQ you are using, I didn't want to drill the console. I'm getting a "lighting plan" together which will use some of the SP9100 outputs. :cool::cool:

@jrfuller : I had considered that spot as well which sort of led to my post title. 😜 😜 :ROFLMAO:

Why do you all have such cluttered interiors?!

@HeavyAssault / @AZsurveyor - Where did you wire the Light Blue (Ignition) and White (Lights Input) wires on your trucks? I'd rather not use a T-tap. I'd much rather use a fuse tap or solder and seal in butt-splice configuration. My control module and switch panel have been installed for a while, but I haven't figured out where to wire those items so I can get it completely wired up.

@HeavyAssault / @AZsurveyor - Where did you wire the Light Blue (Ignition) and White (Lights Input) wires on your trucks? I'd rather not use a T-tap. I'd much rather use a fuse tap or solder and seal in butt-splice configuration. My control module and switch panel have been installed for a while, but I haven't figured out where to wire those items so I can get it completely wired up.
Also wondering. Now that It’s warm enough to finally install mine.

Ignition : I pulled the up-fitter relay box (underhood), tapped into the 20A wire (like 12ga??) since it's Ignition On Hot. Added additional length of wire say 12-18" long. Then tapped the SP9100 into the extension, this way I have the required Ignition On as well as additional wire if other devices need to use the same.

Lights Input : I intend to use the OEM fog light harness as a tap. I know there's a few places that sell a short harness to allow a tap as well.

Ignition : I pulled the up-fitter relay box (underhood), tapped into the 20A wire (like 12ga??) since it's Ignition On Hot. Added additional length of wire say 12-18" long. Then tapped the SP9100 into the extension, this way I have the required Ignition On as well as additional wire if other devices need to use the same.

Lights Input : I intend to use the OEM fog light harness as a tap. I know there's a few places that sell a short harness to allow a tap as well.
Is that white wire there if you don’t have the upfitters on your truck?

Wish I could help but I paid someone to install my switch pro.

I could see if I track the wire and see what's hooked up to.

Just to cover the bases :

SP9100 connections:

Lt Blue // Ignition : There is a 20A wire (can't recall color) under the hood. It's wrapped up as part of the up-fitter stuff that's under that small relay box near the passenger battery. Since it's powered on at Ignition it fits the bill.

White // Trigger 2 : This allows the user to adjust the SP9100 interior panel back lighting. Say 10% or 50% backlight as set in the app by the user.

Pink // Trigger 1 : Input to turn on up to 4 outputs. So when there is an input signal this will automatically turn on up to 4 other outputs.

I spoke to Switch Pros, I recall the Pink and White wires are basically optional use. Really all you need to hook up is the Lt Blue wire. For me : Since I have my headlights on AUTO and Bambi Mode in use it made sense to use the OEM Fog Light harness wire to feed the SP9100 White wire, I could then adjust the interior backlight as I see fit.

Ask any questions, I'm happy to help.

I could never fully turn off the backlight of the panel and that thing is always lit even overnight.

I tried using the controls in the app to no avail.

I could never fully turn off the backlight of the panel and that thing is always lit even overnight.

I tried using the controls in the app to no avail.

Wonder if that White wire is even hooked up then.

Just to cover the bases :

SP9100 connections:

Lt Blue // Ignition : There is a 20A wire (can't recall color) under the hood. It's wrapped up as part of the up-fitter stuff that's under that small relay box near the passenger battery. Since it's powered on at Ignition it fits the bill.

White // Trigger 2 : This allows the user to adjust the SP9100 interior panel back lighting. Say 10% or 50% backlight as set in the app by the user.

Pink // Trigger 1 : Input to turn on up to 4 outputs. So when there is an input signal this will automatically turn on up to 4 other outputs.

I spoke to Switch Pros, I recall the Pink and White wires are basically optional use. Really all you need to hook up is the Lt Blue wire. For me : Since I have my headlights on AUTO and Bambi Mode in use it made sense to use the OEM Fog Light harness wire to feed the SP9100 White wire, I could then adjust the interior backlight as I see fit.

Ask any questions, I'm happy to help.
Awesome. I really appreciate your help. I ordered the harness on the below site to hook to my pink wire, so it would trigger the BD lights when my high beams cut on. I was mostly curious about the light blue wire. I had asked before on this site, and everyone said use a trigger wire in the passenger kick panel, which would cause me to have to the wire under the entire dash and through the firewall. I figured there had to be a wire under the hood that I could use as a trigger.

I found this small wire bundle beside the passenger battery. Is this the wiring you were talking about, @HeavyAssault?

WIRING.jpg

Yes, that might be the one. Those could be the pass-thru wires. There could be a larger bundle that has a white tag on it. The tag gives info about each wire color and "purpose" so to speak.

Interesting location and while I like it and looks aesthically appealing, I think it would not be practical to me due to its high reach (for me).

Just this weekend, we did 600 miles of driving up in the mountains and back country roads. Naturally at night, I would kick on my front fogs but I I had to keep my finger on the trigger (toggle switch), to kick them off for oncoming traffic and you have to be quick! While I did have to lean foward just a tad, it wasn't uncomfortable on a 80 mile stretch of two-way road (although my biggest concern was elk) to be trigger-ready.

With this location and this reach, I would think my hand would get uncomfortable after a while.

I may even end up switching my front bumper fogs to the empty switch to keep it more at reach.

This mount is by SDHQ.

View attachment 148184

I don't have a switchpro but my extra lights are wired to the brights and a highbeam trigger so that when the truck sees oncoming traffic it cuts the brights and my extra lights. If you connected that trigger to the pink input on the switchpro, you wouldn't have to hover over the switches

heres the thread for the highbeam trigger:

UpDate :
I'll never do this again if I can help it. Sometimes I amaze myself.
Pulling off the driver's side hard plastic liner, felt liner, to access the pass through area to feed the control panel connections to the SP9100 main board under the hood. I thought I was going to have limited cable to reach, I might have been a hair short if I had done this any other way. There's a reason for silicon spray lube. 😜 😜 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Glad I did all this in the end, found some pesky factory left over thing-a-ma-bob in the header panel, got the mudflaps attached better this time around.

IMG_2178.JPG

IMG_2177.JPG

Back