SHTF anyone?

The main research they have done is market research to figure out where to market this and which buzzwords to use. The circuit inside would take anyone that knows what they are doing under a day to design including spec'ing parts. I guarantee that if you open it up it is just a combination of GDTs, MOVs, and TVS diodes. If you open up a common surge suppressing power strip, you will see the same stuff.
I agree there are electrical components that may not be unusual, except that these switch much faster. No diode I know if will turn on in a half a billionth of a second.

No diode I know if will turn on in a half a billionth of a second.
Modern TVS diodes turn on that fast. But the problem with this device is not how fast it starts sinking current. It is just physically too far away from the things it is meant to protect. There is no magic that they could put in the box that would change that.

Modern TVS diodes turn on that fast. But the problem with this device is not how fast it starts sinking current. It is just physically too far away from the things it is meant to protect. There is no magic that they could put in the box that would change that.
Perhaps you are right. If so I'm out $350. If not I still have my FX4.

The main research they have done is market research to figure out where to market this and which buzzwords to use. The circuit inside would take anyone that knows what they are doing under a day to design including spec'ing parts. I guarantee that if you open it up it is just a combination of GDTs, MOVs, and TVS diodes. If you open up a common surge suppressing power strip, you will see the same stuff.
Look, as I’ve said in almost every post, I’m not trying to convince anyone to buy this. Literally the only loss of getting this device is the $350 you spend for it. As I’ve also said, that cost means nothing to me, so I did it. Whether it’s market research buzz words, like you believe, or a better research than that, it doesn’t matter to me. I don’t care. This isn’t my end all be all EMP prep for vehicle protection. I don’t rely on any one thing as a sole survival means. Have to have layers. To me, I’ll take this as one layer. It doesn’t hurt to have it, it just may not do what it says for EMP, or maybe it does. As many have alluded, we will never really know until if/when an EMP hits. Hopefully that will never happen. Honestly, a running vehicle is probably not a very high concern if an EMP really hits. There will be far more devastating issues to address then that

Based on some intel I have just received from public safety - I should begin taking some of this seriously. Few questions - I like the EMP idea, but I also feel if that happens I have more concerns - and I am thankful I am rural.

Based on some intel I have just received from public safety - I should begin taking some of this seriously. Few questions - I like the EMP idea, but I also feel if that happens I have more concerns - and I am thankful I am rural.
Yeah, the "bigger concern" theory is very applicable, imo. Can't beat a plan that reverts to hand tools, hand pump or nearby water source, wood burner, etc. The basics - shelter, water, fire, food... Rural property is a key here - you have me beat @Vermonster but I'm working on it. ;)

Yeah, the "bigger concern" theory is very applicable, imo. Can't beat a plan that reverts to hand tools, hand pump or nearby water source, wood burner, etc. The basics - shelter, water, fire, food... Rural property is a key here - you have me beat @Vermonster but I'm working on it. ;)
You're well on your way, my friend! This year I am working on a larger garden and some retrofit rooms in my home. I am not seeing anything improve in the short-term.

So you bring up 2 separate ideas. EMP preparations and population density issues.

I have the "EMP shield" on my F250 so that, in the remote chance something goes off while I'm away from home, I can get home quickly. I also have a ge3t home bag in the back if needed. It will probably be used more for the medical kit in it than actually getting home. If I drive much later than a few days, the truck will be worth more than my life out on the road, so it's a get home issue only.

Once home, the electrical grid being out is the next biggest concern. Generators and an electrical panel switch to power the house by generator is the temporary answer. Long term answer is 10 solar panels and an inverter/controller.

For population density, I am in a rural area, but they are building it up closer than I wish. I was two miles from any significant population, but they are now building apartments about a mile away from me. That's starting to be close enough to cause my long-term problems and I can't move my land farther away, and I'm too invested in what I have built up here to just move.

Sub’d glad to see a thread like this revived. Nothing wrong with always being prepared and vigilant. I live in the great white north so having food and fuel and power sorted out is just common sense…. You never know.

So you bring up 2 separate ideas. EMP preparations and population density issues.

I have the "EMP shield" on my F250 so that, in the remote chance something goes off while I'm away from home, I can get home quickly. I also have a ge3t home bag in the back if needed. It will probably be used more for the medical kit in it than actually getting home. If I drive much later than a few days, the truck will be worth more than my life out on the road, so it's a get home issue only.

Once home, the electrical grid being out is the next biggest concern. Generators and an electrical panel switch to power the house by generator is the temporary answer. Long term answer is 10 solar panels and an inverter/controller.

For population density, I am in a rural area, but they are building it up closer than I wish. I was two miles from any significant population, but they are now building apartments about a mile away from me. That's starting to be close enough to cause my long-term problems and I can't move my land farther away, and I'm too invested in what I have built up here to just move.
By default I am in a pretty good spot - but I have not found perfect unless I am in the middle of nowhereville, Alaska. Anyway, I have built up a few things and I have some good plans.

Sub’d glad to see a thread like this revived. Nothing wrong with always being prepared and vigilant. I live in the great white north so having food and fuel and power sorted out is just common sense…. You never know.
Agreed!!

So what did you hear? I’ve heard it’s the EOTWAWKI for I can’t tell you how long. Things do seem a little tense right now…

So…if the supposed “end of the world” arrives, just what are you trying to “save”yourself from or for? I seriously doubt there’s going to be much of this world remaining if it truly becomes the “end of the world.” I imagine that will become self-evident though, providing one makes it to “the end” to see “the end.” I have a person across the street “prepping“ her house. To what end and for what purpose other than showing everyone she has some money and is basically insecure and neurotic? To each his/her own. I’m going to keep trying to enjoy this blessed gift of life as much as I can, We’re all on the clock anyway, right? And that clock stops sometime for everything and everyone. Enjoy your Tremors before the “big end” comes!

So many times through this thread (and in the outside world) people have interchanged the following however they are all different.

- End Of The World (think - that Yellowstone super volcano thing they talk about erupting or possibly a world wide nuke crisis, meteor, etc - Instant MAJOR event)

- End Of The World As We Know It (think - COVID - slow start; long recovery)

- SHTF (think - civil war - self explanatory)

Are all different. All need different preps. The goal is to have enough resources to get through the worst of it.
Leaving will not likely be an option. International travel will likely be shut down. National travel will likely be shut down.
Fuel, food, and really any store bought items will be rationed.

I wish I would have caught this thread a couple years ago. Hopefully the revival of it will stay a little more civil than the first 9 pages were. :ROFLMAO:

So…if the supposed “end of the world” arrives, just what are you trying to “save”yourself from or for? I seriously doubt there’s going to be much of this world remaining if it truly becomes the “end of the world.” I imagine that will become self-evident though, providing one makes it to “the end” to see “the end.” I have a person across the street “prepping“ her house. To what end and for what purpose other than showing everyone she has some money and is basically insecure and neurotic? To each his/her own. I’m going to keep trying to enjoy this blessed gift of life as much as I can, We’re all on the clock anyway, right? And that clock stops sometime for everything and everyone. Enjoy your Tremors before the “big end” comes!

Please don't take this as a jab but "enjoying this blessed gift" sometimes isn't enough; sometimes you need to fight for it.

If when things get tough, if your ok curling up in the corner that's fine, but I'm going to fight like hell to continue to enjoy it.

I don't necessarily mean violence, though in some situations it might be necessary.

So what did you hear? I’ve heard it’s the EOTWAWKI for I can’t tell you how long. Things do seem a little tense right now…
I receive updated (unclassified - but dept. use only) documents that have briefed us on infrastructure surveillance increasing at natural gas and electrical grids. These are people being caught "spying" on the infrastructure for unknown reasons. Unknown drone "hacking" for observation purposes by foreign governments when connected to the web/phone. In addition I was sent a public message (from a friend and unproven) around FEMA training focusing on public unrest situations, electrical grid failures/attacks, and mass shootings at malls (healthcare/school also on list). Apparently, there likely will be a return of "white powder" in the mail during election season - but this will likely be fentanyl and not anthrax due to cost and simplicity.

I am sure this is not huge news as I am not "special" need to know. However, this is what I see, and at the same time I am just plain old observant. There is quite an increase in aerial training near me. We used to have refueling training every Thursday night when I was a kid. Now more often than not it's multiple days per week. I jump on "flightradar24" and can see many more aircraft doing maneuvers and training over VT, NH, and Maine.

This could be educated or even perceived paranoia - but if it quacks like a duck.

I have a bunch more observations - but I will not go into them as I wish to follow forum rules.

I hear this, and I often reflect on whether or not I want to be around if things really go sideways. I probably would not want to be around, but I want to be prepared and go down swinging if/when the time comes. My priority will be to protect my family. This can come in many different forms - learning to live off the land, self defense, etc... None of us "really" know what will happen and that's part of the mystery/anxiety.

At least the Aliens have entered the chat. Half kidding....

Hahaha. So I agree with some of the above sentiments. I’m not so much worried about a complete end of the world scenario. If that happens unless your Zuckerberg or Bezos with a bunker and armed guards in New Zealand we will all have bigger problems. That said, as I mentioned above there is a near 100% chance that in my lifetime there will be a grid down senario (2003 NE blackout) or an Ice or Snow storm, or a hurricane, or civil unrest…. All these things happen. And always will. Doesn’t mean you need 3 years worth of food or a bunker with NBC filtration but it does mean I need a way to make sure my family stays warm, has food and water and is safe. I am far from a prepper but I consider it just good common sense to have food, water and fuel around. I will admit the EOTWAWKI fantasy can be fun in the movies but in reality a few weeks in without clean water or toilet paper it wouldn’t be pretty.

I receive updated (unclassified - but dept. use only) documents that have briefed us on infrastructure surveillance increasing at natural gas and electrical grids. These are people being caught "spying" on the infrastructure for unknown reasons. Unknown drone "hacking" for observation purposes by foreign governments when connected to the web/phone. In addition I was sent a public message (from a friend and unproven) around FEMA training focusing on public unrest situations, electrical grid failures/attacks, and mass shootings at malls (healthcare/school also on list). Apparently, there likely will be a return of "white powder" in the mail during election season - but this will likely be fentanyl and not anthrax due to cost and simplicity.

I am sure this is not huge news as I am not "special" need to know. However, this is what I see, and at the same time I am just plain old observant. There is quite an increase in aerial training near me. We used to have refueling training every Thursday night when I was a kid. Now more often than not it's multiple days per week. I jump on "flightradar24" and can see many more aircraft doing maneuvers and training over VT, NH, and Maine.

This could be educated or even perceived paranoia - but if it quacks like a duck.

I have a bunch more observations - but I will not go into them as I wish to follow forum rules.
I’m pretty out of the loop now a days. In a past life I was a Nuclear Plant operator and we had access to a lot of interesting bulletins and threats (solar activity too!) but now I’m just a poor uninformed schmuck that gets my news from the internet.

Latest Discussions

Back