SHTF anyone?

I’m actually suprised at the number of people preparing to bug out rather than shelter in place in a SHTF situation. I guess it’s very very geographic if you’re in a big city bugging out might be your best/ only option. I live way way out in the country on a road to no where. My plan is 100% to stay put. My truck is built out with a full camper and all the amenities so if the situation arises I could leave but that would be an absolute last resort. I’ve mentioned before but I’m certainly not prepped for an end of the world scenario but for a few weeks of weather of civil unrest I like to think I’ll be fine. If things drag on for months or years we are all fucked.
I'm with you. Shelter in place is my plan at all cost...until it isn't. I have so much invested in maintaining a "normal" life for those I love, in my location, it would make no sense at all to leave it... unless a fire destroys it, or marauders make it their FOB, or an earthquake levels it, etc, etc. The trailer is a way to get those I love TO my place of refuge, not away from it.

Like you, I live in the country but close to civilization. Sometimes it looks like I'm too close. But if my home is no longer usable, I have a the F250, a TT, the gas trailer, the Suburban and a trailer for food and goods that I can haul to some other location...like say a farm where our MAG will be set up that offers the 24/7 security and people with skills to cover medical and comms and military expertise. Again, the only risk is in getting there.

I'm with you. Shelter in place is my plan at all cost...until it isn't. I have so much invested in maintaining a "normal" life for those I love, in my location, it would make no sense at all to leave it... unless a fire destroys it, or marauders make it their FOB, or an earthquake levels it, etc, etc. The trailer is a way to get those I love TO my place of refuge, not away from it.

Like you, I live in the country but close to civilization. Sometimes it looks like I'm too close. But if my home is no longer usable, I have a the F250, a TT, the gas trailer, the Suburban and a trailer for food and goods that I can haul to some other location...like say a farm where our MAG will be set up that offers the 24/7 security and people with skills to cover medical and comms and military expertise. Again, the only risk is in getting there.
IMG_0654.jpeg

Agreed. “Overlanding” is a great cover story for my bug out vehicle. Which in my case is not only long term livable but has solar/ battery Air Conditioning and even satellite internet. 😉
IMG_0634.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m actually suprised at the number of people preparing to bug out rather than shelter in place in a SHTF situation. I guess it’s very very geographic if you’re in a big city bugging out might be your best/ only option. I live way way out in the country on a road to no where. My plan is 100% to stay put. My truck is built out with a full camper and all the amenities so if the situation arises I could leave but that would be an absolute last resort. I’ve mentioned before but I’m certainly not prepped for an end of the world scenario but for a few weeks of weather of civil unrest I like to think I’ll be fine. If things drag on for months or years we are all fucked.
Yes it seems that "bugging in" is usually the best option.

History (namely natural disasters.. think Katrina) has showed that generally it'll take 48 hours for civility to collapse.. I have heard it attributed to when peoples kids start to get really hungry. My understanding is that if you need to get out, statistically within 48hrs of the event is best, but if you cant make it out in two days, then you should shelter in place until things calm down a bit.

If you've got land our of the city or suburbs than yes Id stay put in my little Shangri La, but I dont yet have that luxury. Generally I am in a foreign city or remote in public land. Neither are very great for this type of situtation. I think Id fill up my 60 gallons and head whichever friend is closest with the most about of land.

The selling price is pretty volatile. I paid $1750 which was slightly lower than average when I was looking. I've seen them go for as low as $800 but they are rare and the ones I saw had some wear. I've seen them go as high as $2600. This one had never been used. Still had the unmolested gel in the electrical plug and the nobbies on the tires. I had to replace the 24V lights to get them to work with my truck and I welded a rack over the tanks to put a cover on it. I should take an updated photo but I'm at work. Here's the weight specs.
View attachment 143047
Thank you so much for sharing those details. I have seen them for 2500 in my area used - but they were not as nice as yours. :)

Found this trailer on fb market place. No clue about it - but I think I’d rather have the cargo style than the flat bed generator mover. Mass. 1500. It seems like a fair price, but not a deal.

Found this trailer on fb market place. No clue about it - but I think I’d rather have the cargo style than the flat bed generator mover. Mass. 1500. It seems like a fair price, but not a deal.

I do like those trailers. I think they make great bases for like an overlanding rig. I’m debating about building a small Squaredrop style trailer to take out as well.

I do like those trailers. I think they make great bases for like an overlanding rig. I’m debating about building a small Squaredrop style trailer to take out as well.
That's what I was thinking! I just need to learn more about welding.

I thought about these as they would mount the tanks well, but Like you, I wanted the sides to keep the tanks a little more secluded. As a tie down hauler, it would be great.

Back